Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Sg g400

Shnotendagga

Anyone able to give me a year or model?

Made in Japan under the vibrola arm.

Patent applied for under pickups.

And a hand written 2 in the electronics compartment.

No stamps on the back of the headstock.

The truss rod cover was replaced with a smaller Gibson cover.

IMAG0026.jpg

IMAG0025.jpg

IMAG0117.jpg

IMAG0027.jpg

IMAG0113.jpg

Looks like it could be Japanese built or possibly an early Korean model. Probably built in the late 80s or early 90s. Is there a serial number any where?

No serials anywhere,I checked under and around everything.

The guy I bought it from said it was seventies,but again its hard to say.

The one thing that really stood out was the wire wraps for the electronics were the old silver kevlar looking stuff.

IMAG0170.jpg

Oh and the logo in the middle of the headstock is a sticker.

Patent applied for would indicate a possible early model before Gibson purchased Epiphone?

80's and 90's would have the patent by then?

Patent applied for would indicate a possible early model before Gibson purchased Epiphone?

80's and 90's would have the patent by then?

I believe Gibson bought Epiphone in the late 50's. All Epi's were made in the same plant in Michigan as the Gibby's were until 1969 and then they moved to Japan. Here is some info on the "Patent Applied For" pickups: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAF_%28pickup%29

The braided jacket / cloth core wire is on the pick up leads only, that and the way they are soldered to the pots probably means the pups are not original.

If the pups were stock it would be Japanese, but that the script used on the headstock inlay is identical to the 1989 Korean LP's of which I've seen many - so my guess is it's a 1989 Korean model, but I base that on the picture of the wiring cavity - headstock could go either way.

I'd say early Korean. The pups have probably been changed and two of the pots have definitely been changed. That would explain the clean wiring job. There's a similar one for sale in my area for $275 but with a couple of chips taken out of it and the standard headstock.

Archived