Gibson Brands Forums

Vox Night Train.

LarryUK

Yeah they've been out for a while now and they're pretty cool.

I've tried them twice. The first time, I was blown away at how awesome it sounded and played it cranked up for like an hour before deciding I want to buy one (I ended up scoring a used ac30 instead). The next time I played with one, I was not impressed at all. I plugged in a beautiful Gibson block inlay 335 and could not get it to sound good. I don't know what it was. I used a Gibson 335 both times (dot first then the block). The only difference was the first time the NT was plugged in to a Bogner 1x12 cab. The second time it was the regular VOX cab. I don't think the cab could have made that much of a difference and I don't think the VOX cab would suck that bad.. Maybe the second one was defective somehow?

I've tried them twice. The first time, I was blown away at how awesome it sounded and played it cranked up for like an hour before deciding I want to buy one (I ended up scoring a used ac30 instead). The next time I played with one, I was not impressed at all. I plugged in a beautiful Gibson block inlay 335 and could not get it to sound good. I don't know what it was. I used a Gibson 335 both times (dot first then the block). The only difference was the first time the NT was plugged in to a Bogner 1x12 cab. The second time it was the regular VOX cab. I don't think the cab could have made that much of a difference and I don't think the VOX cab would suck that bad.. Maybe the second one was defective somehow?

The Vox cabinet is awful! It is a cool amp, but just don't get that awful cabinet that comes with it

335's are sweet...

Hmm. I didn't know the cab was that bad..

My ac30 has the stock speaker that everyone seems to hate. I think it sounds fine. Actually, the amp sounds ridiculously good. I'm sure it would sound better with a nicer speaker but it's definately not bad. So I'm just wondering what's up with that cab to make it so bad.. I haven't heard anyone else complain about it but my own experience leads me to believe the cab is no good. I'm not 100% sure though.. I'm not an expert on speakers or cabs so it's hard for me to come to a conclusion.

Hmm. I didn't know the cab was that bad..

My ac30 has the stock speaker that everyone seems to hate. I think it sounds fine. Actually, the amp sounds ridiculously good. I'm sure it would sound better with a nicer speaker but it's definately not bad. So I'm just wondering what's up with that cab to make it so bad.. I haven't heard anyone else complain about it but my own experience leads me to believe the cab is no good. I'm not 100% sure though.. I'm not an expert on speakers or cabs so it's hard for me to come to a conclusion.

I'm not a huge speaker snob, but all I know is that the Night Train, when paired with a cab that isn't the VOX branded one, sounds a billion times better

BTW, check your email Trav

Don't you know that the inlays are 100% responsible for good tone?

This is based on legitimate research by MIT guitarists.

... [lol] You know I'm just messing with ya.

Back OT: Nope, I've never been a Vox NT fan. They've always sounded cheap and cheesy to me, but I've only tried them through the Vox cabinet, and apparently the cabinet is awful. I'd be extremely willing to try another one out if it were through a higher-quality speaker cabinet.

Don't you know that the inlays are 100% responsible for good tone?

This is based on legitimate research by MIT guitarists.

... [lol] You know I'm just messing with ya.

Back OT: Nope, I've never been a Vox NT fan. They've always sounded cheap and cheesy to me, but I've only tried them through the Vox cabinet, and apparently the cabinet is awful. I'd be extremely willing to try another one out if it were through a higher-quality speaker cabinet.

I don't know what it is about the cabinet, but it sounds awful. Hell, any cab sounds pretty good paired with it. I want to see the new 50 watt one, never sure what happened with that once it was announced at NAMM

Archived