Gibson Brands Forums

Maple J-200 with a split bridge

Bob Marsh

Hi again!

If I bend your ears too much just give me a verbal slap - I ran across these photos while cleaning up my Flickker account and thought they may be of interest. Last year a client brought in his beautiful (but ailing) Maple J-200 - He said the bass strings wouldn't hold tuning and inspection revealed that the bridge was split from end to end. The folowing shows how we went about the repair which took a couple of days to complete - Another one back in service!

4671976454_78f4974d37.jpg4671976964_b24cf736fe.jpg

4671977372_527cffce42.jpg4671353007_3870e49012.jpg

4671353421_dd733d9610.jpg4671978382_18de3331a8.jpg

4671354117_b40db294d4.jpg4671354539_be39f71255.jpg

I'll check my files for a photo of the finished project - The owner was very pleased with the replacement and the beautiful J-200 lives on..

Bob

I don't think you can ever bend the ears of this audience too much with photos and descriptions like these. Really fine work.

I've often wondered about the bridge of a J-200, though. Obviously, it is overly ornamental, a product of its time. But I wonder if, all things being equal, there would be any sonic differences between a moustache bridge and a "normal" bridge.

I don't think you can ever bend the ears of this audience too much with photos and descriptions like these. Really fine work.

I've often wondered about the bridge of a J-200, though. Obviously, it is overly ornamental, a product of its time. But I wonder if, all things being equal, there would be any sonic differences between a moustache bridge and a "normal" bridge.

I can't think that there would be a discernible difference, apple-to-apple (so to speak).

I say this based primarily on having owned an early-Bozeman J-100 which was in every respect the same guitar as the J-200 of the time, the main differences being largely cosmetic. The J-100 had the smaller, reverse-belly bridge, while the J-200 had its standard, "moustache" bridge. But under the hood, the both models were the same guitar.

I showed the guitar to Ren Ferguson back in about '99 and he told me that these were among the best guitars they were making in sycamore (maple) back then (1989-91-ish).

Here it is, with Ren:

Renwith89GibsonJ-100summer1999.jpg

Fred

I'm sure there are far more people on the forum who could give and accurate answer on the sound quality of the bridge - All I know is when the J-200 was finished and I played it...it was a well balanced CANON indeed - Lovely guitar!

I've got no doubt the thing is a cannon. It looks to me like the moustache bridge probably has a bigger contact area with the top than a normal bridge. And if the design were a dog, I'm sure Gibson would've ditched it long ago (remember plastic bridges?) and switched to something more traditional. That said, the moustache bridge is, I suppose, one of the things that makes a J-200 a J-200.

jfitzoz, leray1,

I'm not a luthier at all - By trade I'm a graphic artist, mostly screenprinting but have worked for a European pen manufacture here in the states doing all sorts of artwork for printing and laser engraving. After bringing my Martin to Bob Rigaud 5 or 6 years ago for repair work we talked about CNC milling, Laser engraving, etc. He visited Senator Pen and saw the Epilog lasers they had in action and decided to by one for his operation (Of 1 at that point) I started doing art and setup for him about 5 years ago and did quite a bit of exclusively inlaying for a while. Bob is being kind enough to teach me repairs in the times when the laser isn't so busy. Though I've done a couple things before this CF is the first large project I've done a lot on. Of course I can't take all the credit - Bob sees to it that things are done precisely and sometimes that means he does a critical operation himself.By and large I guess I'm a repairperson-in-training.

leray1: sooooooo sorry....no, been waiting for something like this all my working life - I had to retire to get it!

B

Oh yeah, jfitzoz:

It never occured to me to buy a bridge from Gibson - I really don't know what they might cost although I'm sure they have them - We're so used to fabricating about anything except electronics I guess I just went with it without thinking.

B

Archived