Gibson Brands Forums

Johnny Cash's J200

JuanCarlosVejar

I think he had three J200s. Two are shown here, and one was stolen and never recovered (don't know if it's in one of the pics). Cash got a contract with Martin in early 1960 (61?) and pretty much played them onstage afterwards, although he still would show-up at times with a Gibson or a Guild. I read on an auction site that at the time of his death, he had over one-hundred guitars and that approx 70 were auctioned-off, while the remaining ones were kept by his family. The majority of the guitars he had were Martins and Gibsons, with quite-a-few Guilds and Fenders and the rest various luthiers and brands. Marty Stuart, who lived right down-the-road from Cash said that quite often when he'd go to Cash's home, Cash would play June's favorite guitar, a Hummingbird. He played a very large Guild during much of the 80's (a D605 or something like that). BTW, Ring of Fire was recorded with Johnny playing a Guild. Don't recall the model number, but I've seen pics and it is a smaller guitar. Cash gave it as a gift to Marshall Grant, his bass player, and Grant (I think) gave it to one of the Hall of Fames that Johnny is in.

Archived