Gibson Brands Forums

Does My Guitar Have Nitrocellulose?

ugadawgs311

I'm thinking about getting this stand but it says that it should not be used with guitars that have a nitrocellulose finish. I wanted to check if any of these guitars have a nitrocellulose finish:

1993 Epiphone Sheraton II

2006 Epiphone Les Paul

2002(?) Fender Stratocaster (I know this is a Gibson forum, just thought I'd throw it out there though)

Also, is there any way I could just check myself (i.e. can you tell by looking at / feeling the guitar)? Thanks for any help!

Ugadawgs,

Epi's are poly. To the best of my knowledge they are polyester. In any case poly.

Most Fender's use polyurethane. If it were mine I would contact an authorized Fender dealer just to make sure.

What kind of stand are you getting?

Just as a precaution on mine, I like to buy a pair of Brown jersey cotton gloves. About $1.

I cut the fingers off and use them to cover the rubber parts of my guitar stands. If I need more than one length, I cut the tip of a finger and add another finger after it.

I then have little tiny fingers holding my guitar! Awww, how cute.....But it works.

Willy

Ugadawgs,

Epi's are poly. To the best of my knowledge they are polyester. In any case poly.

Most Fender's use polyurethane. If it were mine I would contact an authorized Fender dealer just to make sure.

What kind of stand are you getting?

Just as a precaution on mine, I like to buy a pair of Brown jersey cotton gloves. About $1.

I cut the fingers off and use them to cover the rubber parts of my guitar stands. If I need more than one length, I cut the tip of a finger and add another finger after it.

I then have little tiny fingers holding my guitar! Awww, how cute.....But it works.

Willy

Awesome! Thanks for the response! I was looking at this stand simply because of it's price. I have a few that are the same design, and they work well (these are mainly used in my room, not on stage). If anyone knows of any better deals, please let me know! Thanks!

Musician's Fiend blows those stands out for $4.95 occaisionally.

They're not bad for the money, but MIC and the tubing is weak, only good for a year or two before they bend out of shape.

Yeah, I've ordered some from Musician's Friend before. They work pretty well, but I haven't had mine too long, so maybe they'll fall apart soon. I just wanted to make sure I'm not going to ruin my guitars by using them.

Musician's Fiend blows those stands out for $4.95 occaisionally.

They're not bad for the money, but MIC and the tubing is weak, only good for a year or two before they bend out of shape.

I thought they looked familiar Brian. LOL

I cut the fingers off and use them to cover the rubber parts of my guitar stands.

Willy

I've wrapped all of my stands with 3" cotton gauze (3-4 layers). I found out the hard way that it hurts more than nitro finishes. I have a MIM Strat and a Carvin CT6, and both developed a "bleach burn" if you will on the neck where it rested on the stand. I didn't notice any other marks on any other guitar necks/bodies but figured better safe than sorry. They've been like that for a few years now and no problems since. YMMV [smile]

I've wrapped all of my stands with 3" cotton gauze (3-4 layers). I found out the hard way that it hurts more than nitro finishes. I have a MIM Strat and a Carvin CT6, and both developed a "bleach burn" if you will on the neck where it rested on the stand. I didn't notice any other marks on any other guitar necks/bodies but figured better safe than sorry. They've been like that for a few years now and no problems since. YMMV [smile]

I have a spot on the back of my 30th Ann. Plain Tops neck eaten down to bare wood....been like that for 20 + years with no other ill effects.

but to answer the o/p's Q:, they're poly, poly, and poly........unless the Epi's are Elitist models and the Strat is pre-'73 or so.

I have a spot on the back of my 30th Ann. Plain Tops neck eaten down to bare wood....been like that for 20 + years with no other ill effects.

but to answer the o/p's Q:, they're poly, poly, and poly........unless the Epi's are Elitist models and the Strat is pre-'73 or so.

Most fender guitars are poly except the the AVRI and Custom shop guitars.I have a 59 thinskin that is nitro.If you arent sure the Hercules stands are nitro safe .

Archived