Gibson Brands Forums

Buying my first electric

DevilsFan

Hello all. First post here.

I'm a long time acoustic player who wants to learn to play electric slide. I don't much about electric guitars at all. In fact, I've never even played one before. Consequently, I don't want to spend a lot of money until I know what I like and what makes sense. I do know I prefer a fatter, thicker sound like a Gibson as opposed to a Strat or Tele, though.

I am only interested in learning to play slide guitar right now and this guitar would be dedicated solely for that purpose. I love Duane Allman and would love to play in that style, but I also am interested in playing delta-style blues as well (if you can even play that style on an electric). I'm leaning toward looking at a used Epiphone SG or a used Epiphone Les Paul to start out, but I also need to pair that with a starter amp. The amp is even more of mystery to me. I have no idea what to look for there. This will only be for playing at home right now. I will not be playing in front of anyone for quite some time (if ever), so the amp doesn't have to be high-powered.

Any help or guidance is appreciated. Also any pointers on books or video lessons would be great as well.

Thanks a lot,

Aaron

Hello all. First post here.

I'm a long time acoustic player who wants to learn to play electric slide. I don't much about electric guitars at all. In fact, I've never even played one before. Consequently, I don't want to spend a lot of money until I know what I like and what makes sense. I do know I prefer a fatter, thicker sound like a Gibson as opposed to a Strat or Tele, though.

I am only interested in learning to play slide guitar right now and this guitar would be dedicated solely for that purpose. I love Duane Allman and would love to play in that style, but I also am interested in playing delta-style blues as well (if you can even play that style on an electric). I'm leaning toward looking at a used Epiphone SG or a used Epiphone Les Paul to start out, but I also need to pair that with a starter amp. The amp is even more of mystery to me. I have no idea what to look for there. This will only be for playing at home right now. I will not be playing in front of anyone for quite some time (if ever), so the amp doesn't have to be high-powered.

Any help or guidance is appreciated. Also any pointers on books or video lessons would be great as well.

Thanks a lot,

Aaron

Epi Les pauls can be had for 200 on CL and same for the SG, If you've never played much electric before i wouldnt invest thousands in a be all everything model. Set a small budget, watch craigslist and guitar center and find a deal before you pounce. Ive seen people playing epiphone's that blew away people using 2000 dollar Taylor's so as with any instrument its the violisnt, not the violin.

Btw, in my town there is a guy selling a one month old basically brand new gibson faded brown les paul for 500, so im sure if you looked you could find an epi for 200. The sg 400 packed some serious punch for an epiphone.

One time tho i watched a youtube video and this guy was playing a gibson les paul and sounded amazing while doing a cover of sweet child of mine, when it ended i noticed one thing about his standard, it wasnt a gibby, it was an epiphone!

Epi Les pauls can be had for 200 on CL and same for the SG, If you've never played much electric before i wouldnt invest thousands in a be all everything model. Set a small budget, watch craigslist and guitar center and find a deal before you pounce. Ive seen people playing epiphone's that blew away people using 2000 dollar Taylor's so as with any instrument its the violisnt, not the violin.

Btw, in my town there is a guy selling a one month old basically brand new gibson faded brown les paul for 500, so im sure if you looked you could find an epi for 200. The sg 400 packed some serious punch for an epiphone.

One time tho i watched a youtube video and this guy was playing a gibson les paul and sounded amazing while doing a cover of sweet child of mine, when it ended i noticed one thing about his standard, it wasnt a gibby, it was an epiphone!

I'm a little hesitant to buy on Craigslist since I don't know what to look for in a decent used electric. Any things that would be obvious flaws to note?

Not everyone will agree, but I have always had good luck at Guitar Center. Even if you don't buy there, you can find several to try out. Play as many as you can, find the neck, weight, and tone that you are looking for. Epi's are a good place to start. My first was an Epi Les Paul 100.

You have lots of options, given how much is out there.

Gibson has made a bunch of really nice "Studio" pieces, and you prolly can't go wrong there if buying used and looking for well-kept pieces.

You might find a good Fender "Standard" made-in-Mexico Strat or Tele using the same caution for about half that.

Whatever you choose, I recommend a decent setup (maybe $50 more to you) - it can make a world of difference in your playing satisfaction to have someone who knows what's what to get you that much closer.

Good luck.

Not everyone will agree, but I have always had good luck at Guitar Center. Even if you don't buy there, you can find several to try out. Play as many as you can, find the neck, weight, and tone that you are looking for. Epi's are a good place to start. My first was an Epi Les Paul 100.

Good advice. I saw a used Epi SG there for under $300 with a 30-day no questions asked return policy. The only issue I have is that since this will be a dedicated slide guitar, I will need to raise the action to play it. All of the guitars at GC have low action. I suppose it doesn't really matter too much given that I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to playing electrics anyway. [biggrin]

Any advice on a starter amp? Any other equipment I would need in a "starter kit"?

I'm a little hesitant to buy on Craigslist since I don't know what to look for in a decent used electric. Any things that would be obvious flaws to note?

The one downfall to craigslist for a newbie is the fakes, people assume that only Gibson/Fender/Martin/Taylor are faked but there's actually alot of Epiphone fakes out there. You want to check the bridge to make sure ANY guitar you buy doesnt have it coming up, also check the frets on how well dressed they are and if theres anything jutting out or any buzzing on the strings, and move the nobs and pickup selector while its plugged in, one minor thing could cost you alot, make sure everything functions properly before you buy.

Buying from an authorized dealer eliminates most of the counterfeits but you dont have to buy new, Guitar center and Musiciansfriend both can give you a decent deal on used. Its probably best to buy one in person where a service rep can explain any of your concerns and you should also ask if the guitar comes setup. It may sound like a small deal to them but sometimes a setup/intonation can run hundreds if the frets are uneven and getting someone to do it free BEFORE you buy will save you in the long run.

This is why Sweetwater is a good company to buy new guitars from. Go to a local guitar center and try some out, ask if it was setup and to be honest i believe that finding the right teacher is more difficult than finding the right guitar.

Good advice. I saw a used Epi SG there for under $300 with a 30-day no questions asked return policy. The only issue I have is that since this will be a dedicated slide guitar, I will need to raise the action to play it. All of the guitars at GC have low action. I suppose it doesn't really matter too much given that I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to playing electrics anyway. [biggrin]

Any advice on a starter amp? Any other equipment I would need in a "starter kit"?

I would stay away from the cheap Marshalls, people assume because their high end amps are great that so are the low, they're not. In fact, my Microcube i paid 60 bucks for sounds better than the 100 dollar marshall and its not even close.

For the price i like my amp quite abit, it's a great practice amp until your skills are worthy of better quality.

For slide only, I bought a Jay Turser Strat off of the 'bay for $40.

No fakers that I know of, but golly, for $40, what do you want?

As for an amp, you'll have to look deep inside. If you're planning on the Arena Circuit, well, never mind.

If you want to play at home and maybe with some friends, you might want to look at something like a Fender Champ 600 ($150 or less) or maybe an SS amp like a little Line 6 or Roland cube.

(I'm pretty sure Joe Walsh liked the cubes... just sayin')

For slide only, I bought a Jay Turser Strat off of the 'bay for $40.

No fakers that I know of, but golly, for $40, what do you want?

As for an amp, you'll have to look deep inside. If you're planning on the Arena Circuit, well, never mind.

If you want to play at home and maybe with some friends, you might want to look at something like a Fender Champ 600 ($150 or less) or maybe an SS amp like a little Line 6 or Roland cube.

[thumbup]

I played a Turser hollowbody at a small mom and pop store and it was cheap and played pretty well when setup right. Might not be as cool as holding an epiphone or gibson but if you set a guitar up right even a 40 dollar one can sound good. I was rather surprised how nice some of those tursers look in person for their price.

[thumbup]

I played a Turser hollowbody at a small mom and pop store and it was cheap and played pretty well when setup right. Might not be as cool as holding an epiphone or gibson but if you set a guitar up right even a 40 dollar one can sound good. I was rather surprised how nice some of those tursers look in person for their price.

Jay Turser make some way-righteous Jazz boxes - well, for the money.

The Strat copy I got for almost nothing was all that for slide...

A good setup is key.

Thanks for those links. I think given that I wouldn't know what to look for in a used guitar and amp that this may be the way to go. There's a GC nearby. Have to run and check it out when I get a chance.

I've got a Roland Cube 30X that's a pretty versatile little amp.

Well...

From an old picker... First, you've already had some excellent suggestions from good folks with different perspectives.

1. Any Epi electric would do the job. I personally prefer the Dot, then SG - but any Epi neck is, to me, pretty much better than almost any others in the price range. I say "almost" because if you wanna spend more, you can get something I'd personally like almost as much. Other brands may be pretty, I like Gibson/Epi necks and nut width.

2. Slide on electric should be far more gentle than on an acoustic. There are many different ways to do slide, but if you use 9s, even 10s, you ain't gonna be able to slam the way you might on a Dobro or high-set acoustic with 12s. Think caress with the bottleneck or whatever, and brush your bare fingers (or gently flatpick) on the strings. Let the pickups and amp handle how loud you're playing. It's a different mindset.

2A. If you do the above, you can put the slide/bottleneck on your pinkie and rather easily handle chords with your other fingers too - even a combination of both.

3. If you don't wanna do the gentle as in #2 and want to play more aggressively as you would with an acoustic, then get 12s and have somebody set up the guitar for them with just a bit more bow on the neck... and still be able to finger some chords. I don't care for that option at all, but... you even can use your steel fingerpicks that way. Frankly I think it makes the learning curve more difficult.

4. Regardless which setup you wish for, the advantage of buying either new or used from a store is getting a setup with string gauge of preference.

5. An amp... Frankly I'd just get a super-cheapie. Kustom has some $150 30-watters I've not heard anything bad about and frankly my acoustic-electric Kustom variation of that theme works like a champ, but doesn't have some of the juice today's "electric" players seem to prefer. So...

Then there's the $50 anythings new and that may actually be the best startup for you. Why super-cheapies? Because you're not out anything as you learn how you wanna play electric, and what sound you hope to get.

If you were 15 or 20 years old, I'd keep my mouth semi-shut on this.

But if you're not going to play out soon and you're exploring, I'd say if you get a cheapie home practice amp that has a half decent clean at $50, then study like the devil toward what you may want later. You'll be more likely to get something you'll be happier with in years to come.

EDIT: Depending if you've been playing acoustic slide, the one and only advantage to a Fender style neck is the shorter fretboard radius that may, as the rounded fretboard on a violin, be easier for some pickers. I disagree and point to dobros and steel guitars totally flat across the strings.

m

Well...

From an old picker... First, you've already had some excellent suggestions from good folks with different perspectives.

1. Any Epi electric would do the job. I personally prefer the Dot, then SG - but any Epi neck is, to me, pretty much better than almost any others in the price range. I say "almost" because if you wanna spend more, you can get something I'd personally like almost as much. Other brands may be pretty, I like Gibson/Epi necks and nut width.

2. Slide on electric should be far more gentle than on an acoustic. There are many different ways to do slide, but if you use 9s, even 10s, you ain't gonna be able to slam the way you might on a Dobro or high-set acoustic with 12s. Think caress with the bottleneck or whatever, and brush your bare fingers (or gently flatpick) on the strings. Let the pickups and amp handle how loud you're playing. It's a different mindset.

2A. If you do the above, you can put the slide/bottleneck on your pinkie and rather easily handle chords with your other fingers too - even a combination of both.

3. If you don't wanna do the gentle as in #2 and want to play more aggressively as you would with an acoustic, then get 12s and have somebody set up the guitar for them with just a bit more bow on the neck... and still be able to finger some chords. I don't care for that option at all, but... you even can use your steel fingerpicks that way. Frankly I think it makes the learning curve more difficult.

4. Regardless which setup you wish for, the advantage of buying either new or used from a store is getting a setup with string gauge of preference.

5. An amp... Frankly I'd just get a super-cheapie. Kustom has some $150 30-watters I've not heard anything bad about and frankly my acoustic-electric Kustom variation of that theme works like a champ, but doesn't have some of the juice today's "electric" players seem to prefer. So...

Then there's the $50 anythings new and that may actually be the best startup for you. Why super-cheapies? Because you're not out anything as you learn how you wanna play electric, and what sound you hope to get.

If you were 15 or 20 years old, I'd keep my mouth semi-shut on this.

But if you're not going to play out soon and you're exploring, I'd say if you get a cheapie home practice amp that has a half decent clean at $50, then study like the devil toward what you may want later. You'll be more likely to get something you'll be happier with in years to come.

EDIT: Depending if you've been playing acoustic slide, the one and only advantage to a Fender style neck is the shorter fretboard radius that may, as the rounded fretboard on a violin, be easier for some pickers. I disagree and point to dobros and steel guitars totally flat across the strings.

m

Great advice from everyone. Thanks a bunch.

I'm 40 and have been playing off and on for almost 30 years. For the first 25 I was content to just strum some chords, but in the past few years I've converted to fingerstyle. I play acoustic with Propik Fingertone picks which are just about the greatest thing ever for getting more volume out of an acoustic when you have weak fingernails. I'll probably try these on the electric but it will be a whole different game being able to adjust the volume without picking harder. ;)

I just started playing slide on my acoustic, and when I say JUST started playing I mean this week! Being able to play fingerstyle already has made the transition pretty easy but it's obvious I need to work on my damping technique. The action on my acoustic is VERY low so I am already playing with a very gentle touch. That will probably help my transition.

I'll take the advice about a cheap amp and head on over to GC to play a few models. Thanks again!

Archived