Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Ultra III ?????

Barcham

So far high scores for the Ultra II (thus for the Ultra III; no reason to think it won´t be as good as the II, or better). The only, only thing I wish was an option is neck width, I´d like it to be a little more than those 1.68" at the nut. For now I have a Peavey Raptor, and those 1.65" at the nut aren´t that comfortable to my fingers. I can live with that, but wish it could be just a little wider.

And the other thing, here in Venezuela, is that only the lower models are generally available (special II and sometimes some studios). My (almost) only option would be to order it online and have it shipped here, wich would cost me another 100 $. but any decision will be made by the end of the year, for now I´m studying available options, and will try to choose the best possible one.

Thank you all, guys, you´ve really been of help.

Sabas.

If you don't need the extra features of the Ultra III, you should be able to find some good deals on the Ultra II around when the new one comes out. I've already seen it discounted to $550 on the net. I wish they had kept the quilt tops on the new series instead of the usual flame tops though. Oh well...can't have it all I guess! [biggrin]

If you don't need the extra features of the Ultra III, you should be able to find some good deals on the Ultra II around when the new one comes out. I've already seen it discounted to $550 on the net. I wish they had kept the quilt tops on the new series instead of the usual flame tops though. Oh well...can't have it all I guess! [biggrin]

What I like of the Ultra III is that you now have an A/B switch built in the knob (no need to have or buy one), and USB ready (no need to buy/have an usb audio/guitar interface to link it to the pc), but as you´ve just said, can´t have it all. Or you can buy the ultra II and you have 200$ to buy the switch and the interface (Ultra III is listed at $749 and ultra II at $550).

Anyway, in both cases I´d still wish to have a wide neck wich isn´t available, so I need to study this very well. But I can tell you: I really like this guitar and its features, if only for the neck...

Thanks!

just made a new topic in lounge... then saw this. (all ways doing this haha)

As I said in your Lounge thread, Bastard Kai, I was contemplating one of these in about six months, now I definitely want one yesterday, just that A/B/Y switching is enough to sway me, let alone the rest of the equation, what a monster, gimme, gimme, gimme. Thanks for sharing mate, hope they come with the playing chops included.

As I said in your Lounge thread, Bastard Kai, I was contemplating one of these in about six months, now I definitely want one yesterday, just that A/B/Y switching is enough to sway me, let alone the rest of the equation, what a monster, gimme, gimme, gimme. Thanks for sharing mate, hope they come with the playing chops included.

Count me in.... I have been waiting for one of these since I first heard about them a couple months ago. Looks like Aug 4th is an ETA at ZZounds.com. I have one spot left on the wall that this would fit very nicely in. I don't really care about a "sub-par" tuner.. I have plenty of good tuners laying around. As far as the USB goes, I am not much of a video game player so not realy excited about the game everyone keeps talking about and I have plenty of other audio interfaces in to ProTools for recording....BUT the tone, the upgraded ProBucker Pups and the A/B/Y swithch has me sold. I am trying to decide between the Midnight Blue and the Vintage Sunburst..... maybe I will have to make room for both! A coil tap switch would have been nice, but I have several other single coil guitars to choose from.

Looks like Aug 4th is an ETA at ZZounds.com...

I am trying to decide between the Midnight Blue and the Vintage Sunburst...

I'm GASing for the Midnight Sapphire, myself. And it looks like that one won't be available until Aug. 6th...2 EXTRA DAYS!!! Argh!

I'm hoping to get mine either on the 6th, or the 13th, depending on when they're in stock at the closest GC (2 hours away!). I've even got my wife talking about it...maybe not exactly looking forward to it, but at least she's talking about it. LOL

Still not a word about it on the GC site. I'll have to see if I can find any info on it when I go in tomorrow morning ...

Jim

Thanks, Jim! That'd be appreciated. I e-mailed the Sales Office (via the web) a couple of weeks ago, and they replied that it wasn't even on the radar yet. :( I hope the GC near me gets 'em soon...before my wife decides to use my guitar fund for something else! LOL

Rich

Yesterday I saw the vid for the Ultra-III for the 1st time......before it was done I decided that my 5 LPs just aren't enough !!

I like the VSB, but my wife reminded me that I already have 3 LP bursts, as well as several other burst guitars.....she wants me to get the Saphire one, which I WILL buy, in September, the day after I get my annual employee "profit-share".

I forget whether it comes with a bag or case....and i've yet to see an actual price (or even an msrp) for it, but those are all details.

I can see an "epi"demic of Blue Ultra-IIIs hitting this forum in the near future.....lets name this lil' club, call ourselves the "UltraBlues" !! [thumbup] ?

I forget whether it comes with a bag or case....and i've yet to see an actual price (or even an msrp) for it, but those are all details.

It's currently listed at zZounds for $749.00US. Here's the link: http://www.zzounds.com/item--EPIENU3

According to the specs on their site, it looks like you need to purchase an additional bag/case for it...

- Includes:

- Native Instruments GuitarRig Software (CD-ROM)

- 3 meter USB Cable

- 9 Volt battery

- User's Manual

- Bumper Sticker

- Poster

- Trussrod Wrench

- 10' Economy 1/4" cord

- Warranty Information

I can see an "epi"demic of Blue Ultra-IIIs hitting this forum in the near future.....lets name this lil' club, call ourselves the "UltraBlues" !! [thumbup] ?

Aw shucks, I want a different colour. As I said in another thread recently, "Think I'm gonna go with the Faded Cherry too, it's the only one with a transparent back, all the others have a boring as beans black back".

• 3 weeks later...

...A coil tap switch would have been nice...

Could it be posible to add this option (by replacing pots)? To my thinking, this would make this guitar almost perfect. What do you think, could this be done to this guitar without messing its factory setup (meaning its a/b switch function: Humbuckers only - Nanomag only - Both HN)?

As I said before, I really like this guitar, and if this feature could be added, then it´ll be the best guitar for me.

Guitar experts here, please talk on!

I'm so glad that I've found another thread about the New Les Paul Ultra III!

I've been excited by it ever since I read about it on the Epiphone Website a few weeks ago!!

Shame for us that we'll have to wait at least another 4-6 weeks, before it'll even arrive in Australia!! Not mention the wait for it to arrive in retail stores...

I'm definitely going for the Midnight Ebony, I just think it's the best color of the range. (No offense to anyone)

I was also completely sold with the extra features that came with the tradition look & sound of a Les Paul, as I have been a Les Paul lover ever since! Also, I really think all the new features of the Ultra III is much more practical and usable compare to the Gibson's Firebird X, not that I'm not innovative.

Shame for us that we'll have to wait at least another 4-6 weeks, before it'll even arrive in Australia!! Not mention the wait for it to arrive in retail stores...

Why wait, buy one from overseas. I'll never buy in Oz again, all my stuff gets imported now, much, much cheaper.

Why wait, buy one from overseas. I'll never buy in Oz again, all my stuff gets imported now, much, much cheaper.

I wanted to, but the postage cost from US to Aust + the guitar => Price in Oz!!

More importantly, most of US stores were not allowed to ship directly to Aust.

I've asked a few stores such as Musician's Friend and Guitar City.

I wanted to, but the postage cost from US to Aust + the guitar => Price in Oz!!

More importantly, most of US stores were not allowed to ship directly to Aust.

I've asked a few stores such as Musician's Friend and Guitar City.

Absolutely no way, I have 60 geets, 45 - 50 of them imported from overseas, even after shipping and customs-duties/gst (if applicable) I'll guarantee the majority of them cost me %50 or less of Oz prices.

Many of the big stores won't ship certain brands to Oz, but there's a ton of small stores that'll be happy to do so.

Absolutely no way, I have 60 geets, 45 - 50 of them imported from overseas, even after shipping and customs-duties/gst (if applicable) I'll guarantee the majority of them cost me %50 or less of Oz prices.

Many of the big stores won't ship certain brands to Oz, but there's a ton of small stores that'll be happy to do so.

Really?? Coz I thought the big stores are more trustworthy, as I'm willing to spend my money on my first ever Epi Les Pau, but don't wanna get ripped off buy any fakes. So I was thinking I'd rather pay the extra dollar in exchange of genuineness.

Can you give me the links of the small stores you use? Much appreciate for your help, mate!

One of the better ones is Brian Goff at bizarre-guitars, he gets some really cherry stuff. But to be honest, I have no allegiance to any shop, when I want something I'll run a worldwide eBay search sorted on price+postage. If you're in doubt about the authenticity then post a link here, the guys here will soon tell you if it's a fake or not. With the Utra, I doubt there'll be any fakes, with the NanoMag pickup and circuit board electronics they'd be far too difficult to mimic.

One of the better ones is Brian Goff at bizarre-guitars, he gets some really cherry stuff. But to be honest, I have no allegiance to any shop, when I want something I'll run a worldwide eBay search sorted on price+postage. If you're in doubt about the authenticity then post a link here, the guys here will soon tell you if it's a fake or not. With the Utra, I doubt there'll be any fakes, with the NanoMag pickup and circuit board electronics they'd be far too difficult to mimic.

I'm now kinda stuck between the new Ultra III and the Tribute 2010 Trans Black.

Both got great pups. Any suggestions?

I'm now kinda stuck between the new Ultra III and the Tribute 2010 Trans Black.

Both got great pups. Any suggestions?

That's difficult, it's such a subjective thing, my preference would be the Ultra, especially for it's versatility, but it has it's drawbacks, because of the electronics (circuit boards etc) the pots aren't easily upgradeable, if at all, not on the ver II anyway, haven't seen inside the ver III yet, so adding push/pulls for coil splitting etc would be a real task, I suppose a mini-switch could be added for that purpose, but that's a hassle too, additionally if the electronics fail it would be a PITA to repair.

The Tribute on the other hand is very simple to upgrade or repair, and the less complex arrangement should also afford better reliability.

So I'd say if it's to be a gigging guitar, I'd go with the Tribute, if it's to be a home or studio guitar, I'd go with the Ultra.

Archived