Gibson Brands Forums

Recording FX question

EVOL!

1. I have a spring reverb FX pedal (Sole-Mate) that I would like to use on my recorded vocals. The mic is a Blue Spark (condenser) so it needs phantom power. I have a Bellari MP105 to handle that. My question is, do you think I will risk overloading/damaging the FX pedal by running it between the Bellari MP105 tube preamp and my mixer since it will be getting a much hotter signal than say my guitar or a dynamic mic.

2. Same question, but substitute spring reverb unit for Carbon Copy delay pedal.

1. I have a spring reverb FX pedal (Sole-Mate) that I would like to use on my recorded vocals. The mic is a Blue Spark (condenser) so it needs phantom power. I have a Bellari MP105 to handle that. My question is, do you think I will risk overloading/damaging the FX pedal by running it between the Bellari MP105 tube preamp and my mixer since it will be getting a much hotter signal than say my guitar or a dynamic mic.

2. Same question, but substitute spring reverb unit for Carbon Copy delay pedal.

Bump because I'm curious as hell

What is coming out of your pre-amp? If it's hi-z (like a guitar), it should be OK.

The phantom power is DC riding into the mic over the balanced signal- low-z out that (usually flows from such a mic) should not have any effect.

It's about what comes out from the pre-amp, to the FX, to (whatever).

If it's a line level output, you may need to pad it down a bit before it hits your FX.

Does your mixer allow for an FX loop?

Phantom power is like +48V so yes and no

It simply wont work by just plugging it in line with your Mic you will most likely end up with some pretty distorted sound as the phantom power will essentially overdrive the MXR as the output of the Mic will be too high for it, the MXR Carbon Copy has an input level of like +5V. Cut down the output on the Mic and you will probably be able to do it with some success, you would need to turn the output of the mic down by a considerable bit though, try somewhere in the range of 20ish dB removed from the mic and it should work out, note all this recording has to be done in line out setting otherwise it will be distortion city. I imagine most pedals run with a similar Input level, so try this out and see how it works, I cant guarantee it will but my brain is telling me it should.

Does your mixer allow for an FX loop?

I am thinking about this now because I want to be able to crank the preamp to get all of the tube goodness I can. This will most likely overload the reverb unit.

From my original email, the signal would be

Mic --> tube preamp --> Reverb Unit --> Mixer or USB DAC --> Mac laptop

So the Reverb unit should not be hit with any of the phantom power voltage, especially since I'll be using an adapter to convert the XLR cable coming out of the preamp into 1/4" (the reverb unit's plug is standard 1/4").

What comes out of the pre-amp is different than what is going to and coming from the mic.

If you have line-level stuff coming out of the pre-amp (it IS a preamp, right?) you might not get good results into an FX pedal.

Look at the mixer and see if you can manage FX after the signal hits there.

What Riverside and rct say.................Record dry, effect it afterwards.....It's safer, and allows you to tweak it properly.....

I can't do them post unless I use GarageBand's canned FX. If you want a heavy dose of psych you gotta use spring reverb.

I can't do them post unless I use GarageBand's canned FX. If you want a heavy dose of psych you gotta use spring reverb.

O.K...........I listened to your music some time back....Please correct me if I'm wrong; High fidelity is not what you are going for (???)......

If that's the case, why not run a non-phantom powered regular dynamic mike into the reverb and or other units, then into your

pre-amp for the tube warmth, then into your setup (computer)......You can use software to EQ your vocal quality after the fact

that way.....Just a thought.............

Phantom power just provides electricity to yer mic so it will work. In the old days we put batteries in them, I suppose you still can if they still make them that way.

So essentially what comes out of the mic is pretty much the same. You are using a preamp to get the phantom the mic needs, because it doesn't work any other way. If you had one of the old Rolls boxes that does nothing but provide phantom power you would be exactly where you are now, except you'd have a phantom powered mic.

So, no, the phantom power itelf isn't going to hurt anything, it seems to have thrown some of the advice the wrong way.

I assume the preamp has some kind of input gain and output level, most do. Sure, "studio" is somewhat hotter than yer guitar is, but certainly isn't going to harm your pedal at all, just keep the OUT side of your preamp down.

It will probably not sound as good, as psycho, as ambient, as patchouli stinkin swirly dancin chick hot as you think it will, but it won't hurt anything. Much.

You don't say what kind of mixer you are using. I would try to loop off of that just to get some control over how hard that hits your recorder.

I personally have never worried about putting effects on a sound on the way in, I have always done it that way and probably always will for the most part. It isn't inherrantly bad in any way. If you don't like it you'll have to redo it, but that's a risk you take. If you are the only musician in the studio you don't have to worry about it at all.

Just try it and have fun.

rct

Archived