Gibson Brands Forums

Seed Or From the Store?

Steven Tari

My spring Plums got hit by a very bad frost and took all the flowers and what fruit had started away. My pear tree got hit by lightning last year and split it during one of the small huricans.. I've planted a new one this season. My apples are doing good. The fruit and veg's we have so far were from seed. Three different kinds of tomatoes, four different kinds of peppers , a watermellon bush, Okra, Beans, and canalope. Four new fruit bushs. We just got a 6 X 12 greenhouse to put up soon. Most of the plants I have right now are hanging or in Styrofoam coolers I get from Omaha steaks. The rest go into the ground. So what you getting ready to plant and if you have any good rescipes for food that can be done with the Veg's or fruite.

Despite the loss of some of your trees, it sounds like you have a good garden plan going on Steve..........

For one of my (former) wives, I built many nice gardens.....I even had one last year.....My small family is skipping this year.....

( I can ask a plant to grow, and it will, kinda cool...)......

I plant a little garden every year with store bought plants. But the sweet peppers I grow are from a strain my grandfather created back in the 70s. He's long gone, but his plants are surviving. I make seeds every year and then start the seedlings in March. They're ready to plant in the garden at the end of May which is the time to go in order to avoid frost in my area.

Uhhhhh I call them "Tomatoe" plants that don't grow tomatoes!

We had a garden and grew all our veggies when I lived at home, but after I moved away the only thing I could really continue to do was grow some mushrooms (no not the ones that get you high) mostly just oyster and shitake mushrooms because they can grown in your closet and dont require much light at all. I certainly prefer home grown veggies to store bought ones, was always a nice thing to go pull a fresh carrot out of the ground and chomp away at it.

There used to be a guy on here that had a nice crop every year too in California... Unfortunately his crop goes up in smoke every year.... [thumbup]

I remember some of the pics. Ostensibly showing off a beautiful guitar with a bountiful background. Haven't seen any contributions from him in quite some time.

Who Dennis? I don't believe his farm is in California but I could be wrong.

I am into this garden this pretty hardcore, my "toms" are about 18" tall already and my Onions are about a foot tall also. My strawberries have flowers and small fruit already; and the damn tree rats (squirrels) have found out there is food in that area on the back yard. Last year my grape toms got to a height of over 6ft tall; my cherry toms got to about 4ft tall.

I always save seeds from the past year produce. I have been cross breeding my plants for a few years now and have a cherry tom that is almost a medium tom size but it has a taste of the bigboy toms. People see me in my garden with a small paint brush going from flower to flower, and its more of a controlled pollination between my plants. I almost had a bad year before it began; Blitz found my toms that I was drying out before I removed the seeds. They were still edible and since he loves daddy's salad he helped himself to all 25 tom's and the paper towel they were put on. I was able to use seeds from the prior year although many did not germinate so I was forced to do Plan B. Plan B was going to Walmart and purchase a few plants three weeks ago. I also used many bags of Miracle Grow potting soil and I also am a person who uses the liquid version of that product. Its a great product for sure.

Here is the guilty party...

blitz7.jpg

Great pic of Blitz. Haven't seen one in a while.

... if you have any good rescipes for food that can be done with the Veg's or fruite.

Briami. It's a Greek vegetable stew and can be made with almost any combination of vegetables, tomato sauce, dill, and white wine.

Curried zucchini with yellow Indian curry, touch of coconut milk, and pinch of oregano.

Outside of that, cook 'em on the grill. Although I like my okra deep fried. They're less slimy that way.

My gardening season here in Arizona is just ending for pretty much everything for the season - I grow everything here during our mild winters especially in the greenhouse. I don't even try to keep any plants in the greenhouse over the summer they would probably just spontaneously combust. we just use it as a autoclave to sterilize stuff all summer. It's not unusual to have it hit 160 in the greenhouse even shaded and vented and I don't even try to cool it really in June July or August. About all I still have thriving right now are tomatoes, peppers and zucchini. We yanked almost everything else out last week and planted watermelon and cantaloupe in the shady side yard beds, now will just pour the water on for a few weeks and they'll cover everything and we will have watermelons to eat and plug for the summer.

September and october are the big garden months for me.

I usually plant a garden, but with the move this year, I'm not going to be able to plant one.

Since I have so much property available for planting, plans are for two small orchards, a large garden and at least a quarter-acre of Pinot Noir or Syrah grapes. That's right, I'm going to plant a small vineyard in the backyard.

It'll take a few years for the grapes to grow, but in the long run, I'm going to make some wine.

The orchards will consist of several different fruit trees. One will be citrus (lemons, oranges, grapefruits), while the other will have nectarines, plums, apricots, apples, figs, and avocado in it.

Can't wait till next year when I can plant it up properly.

Oh yeah, we're going to raise chickens too. I'd like to have at least six good egg producers.

Archived