Gibson Brands Forums

Donated blood for the first time today

dem00n

You can donate blood to yourself if you know your going to have a surgery or something most blood banks and many hospitals will ID and store so you can donate to yourself. I have not been able to donate for a while based on surgical procedure and meds but it is a important thing to do and it does make you feel good to know you might help save somebodies life.

I'm a AB- so they really like to get my blood - which I think is weird because I can get almost any kind of blood and be fine. But for AB- young children and certain procedures where they need AB or AB neg. then they really want my blood. Ive even recieved calls asking if I can donate for certain individuals which I do when I'm allowed. but like I said I never really understood the need because they call us AB- universal recipients because we can recieve any type of blood kind of the reverse of 0+ donors that can give blood to anyone :unsure:

ah no I hate needles being stuck in me.

Agreed lol...the only thing stopping me from giving blood is the fact i would have sit there with a needle stuck in me.

I can handle getting a simple 3 second needle but to have one sit in me for a longer period of time just ain't happinin.

Im not kidding, i am petrified of sitting there with a needle in me...i couldn't even look at the one in my brothers arm when he was in hospital.

Just a little chicken lol [laugh]

Its a great thing you did and you should fell proud. I have O type (universal) so I give Platlets.

Giving blood actually saved my life. You know when the person gets blood from your finger first? Well

she told me that I cant give blood that day but should see a doctor right now, I thought WTF? I went and

find out that I was Anemic and later diagnosed with Celiac disease.

Now I give every two months.

Good for you !!! YOU'LL help save a life.

You can lose up to 2 litres of blood and the body will survive. Body has 5-6 Litres

Ten years for source plasma

One year for fresh frozen plasma

Forty-two days for red blood cells

Thirty-five days for whole blood

Five days for platelets

Blood is kinda my thing lol

my blood type is a- my wife says that explains so much about me. i donated blood once in high school everything went fine, went to get my cookie and passed out flat on my face, right in the middle of the gym.

i never did get that cookie [thumbdn]

Really well done dem00n- you should be very proud.

I'm a regular (every 3 weeks) Platelet donor.

I've been donating for around 30 years. I started with whole blood, then moved onto plasma and have been donating platelets for over 10 years.

I can't say I enjoy sitting for 60-70 mins with a needle in my arm (it's thicker than the ones used for whole blood, because you get the red cells back - hence you can donate more regularly), but the donor assistants are a great laugh, and you get lots of tea & biccies...

If I stay healthy, I should reach a milestone this year - the equivalent of 500 whole-blood donations, so pretty exciting.

I would encourage anyone who is healthy enough to donate. It doesn't hurt, it doesn't take long (for whole blood, I think only 15 mins) and it's such a "good" thing to do.

I'm also on the bone-marrow donr register, but haven't been called up for that yet!!

I know a family who goes on a regular basis to donate plasma and it pays for the cruise vacation they take every year.

I have tried to give blood but I cannot. I was stationed in England at the height of the Mad Cow disease and they have no way to screen for it - at least the last time I asked they had no way to screen for it.

I know a family who goes on a regular basis to donate plasma and it pays for the cruise vacation they take every year.

I have tried to give blood but I cannot. I was stationed in England at the height of the Mad Cow disease and they have no way to screen for it - at least the last time I asked they had no way to screen for it.

Not sure they can test for CJD, but they ask a shed-load of questions about your medical history, sexual history & travel. The travel thing is interesting - there's a whole load of places you have to leave specific periods of time before donating. USA being a case in point - I'll be in Florida & North Carolina in July, I'll have to wait 6 weeks when I get back before I can donate. I think this is due to the presence of West Nile virus in North America.

I know they test for a variety of STIs, Hepatitis, etc.

Also, of course, in the UK no one gets paid for donating.

Good for you !!! YOU'LL help save a life.

You can lose up to 2 litres of blood and the body will survive. Body has 5-6 Litres

Ten years for source plasma

One year for fresh frozen plasma

Forty-two days for red blood cells

Thirty-five days for whole blood

Five days for platelets

Blood is kinda my thing lol

scott is allergic to garlic and sunlight, and he sleeps all day...

Archived