Gibson Brands Forums

Now I remember

Silenced Fred

WE INTERRUPT THIS THREAD DERAILMENT TO BRING YOU AN EXCERPT FROM OUR ORIGIONAL POSTER REGARDING THE BOSS PEDALS:

I can see where a guy would say the Boss OD sucks. It only does one sound, the adjustments don't do much, and it doesn't really serve a lot of purpose. One sound, on or off, the hallmark tone of Boss distortions. And not very dynamic.

But, Boss makes a lot more than just distortions. What about the chorus? Oh, the delay padals? Some of those are the BEST that you can do, but a lot of poeple don't even take the chance to compare them and the different types Boss makes, because they don't expect them to be as good as others because their distortion pedals suck.

NOW, BACK TO YOUR SCHEDULED TOPIC DERAILMENT ABOUT FUZZ PEDALS.

That's my main complaint. It loses all of the dynamics that I love about my tube amp.

For modulation stuff, the boss stuff is better

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah if you give them a chance a lot of their pedals are pretty sweet. Most of the good stuff is discontinued though.

Boss makes some good chorus (and some terrible chorus like the ce-20 ughh) and delay like stein said. I personally dig some of their pitch shifting effects and verb and delay. There's pretty much always something better out there but whatever.

I think if you completely discount boss as a whole, you'll miss out on some good stuff. That being said their display in GC is packed with total crap.

I think if you completely discount boss as a whole, you'll miss out on some good stuff. That being said their display in GC is packed with total crap.

Well, yeah. I'm not saying I'll do that, but I have heard some good stuff, but like you say, a lot of it is discontinued or whatnot. I may seem like a pedal snob, but I'm really not. I just know what sounds good to me and I don't go away from that at most times. Pedal hunting is not something I want to do, most of the stuff I like is stuff that someone says "you have to see this".

Anyone who thinks Boss distortions only make one sound hasn't heard this pedal.

8-9-093.jpg

And before writing off Boss all together you might want to check the pedal boards of some of your favorite players. Guys like Warren Haynes, Steve Vai, Mike Stern, Kurt Cobain, Joe Satriani and just about anyone else you can think of have used Boss pedals in their times. As for reliability, I have spent more time fixing broken sliders and blown caps, jacks, pots and switches in MXR pedals than I care to think of.

But think on this... If every time you play through a Boss pedal you get nothing but suck sound.... maybe it's not the pedal. [scared]

But think on this... If every time you play through a Boss pedal you get nothing but suck sound.... maybe it's not the pedal. [scared]

Yeah it's been said before... You're cool

All I'm saying is that to me, Boss pedals suck, at least the ones I have and have tried

Archived