Gibson Brands Forums

Why is Fender better than Gibson?

Tim Plains

Gibson is like the smokin' hot but sleazy girlfriend that is way too hot for you, but you never know where she is. She drinks a lot, and has like, 40 guy friends that she hangs out with all the time. She is an incredible lover, but you could never take her to meet your parents. You know deep down inside that she is the one for you, but you think she stole $20 out of your pants when you were sleeping. She also likes the finer things in life. You sometimes want to break it off, but you keep telling yourself that it will get better. You probably wont be able to get another girlfriend that is this hot ever again, so you figure on riding it out.

Fender is like the less hot girlfriend that always asks dumb questions. She has that "simple beauty", but has had the same haircut for 7 years. You always know where she is, because she wont leave you alone, even when your watching the game. She doesn't drink and is openly critical of you doing so. She spends 2 hours a week on the phone with your mom. Its okay if your too broke for date night, she's content with Netfix and mac&cheese. Sweet lord, she even does laundry. You think about dumping her, but you think she'll off herself if you do.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it's a sign of my age, coupled with a lack of talent to play jazz, but I've always been a single coil guy and never found much use for humbuckers. The humbuckers I like are smooth, like what came in my Epi Dot. Honestly, I don't much care for the Burstbuckers in my Gibson LP Studio Satin. I mean I don't like them to the extent that I might sell the guitar.

That said, I've always felt single coils show a lot of different personalities, while I didn't hear much difference in humbuckers played at the low volumes I use at home.

That has led, and probably always will lead me, to having a lot more Fender electrics than Gibson or Epi electrics. The one single coil I feel Epi and Gibson do a lot better than Fender is their P90's. Nothing compares to my Epi LP Jr with the P90's.

That's the one guitar I probably turn up to NIL's, (neighbor irritation levels), more than anything else I have.

I would have to agree that perhaps as I have aged I find myself liking the single coil tone more and more. Have now played a P90 clad LP twice and I imagine the 3rd time will be the charm as I truly loved it. Might well love a P90 clad semi-hollow even more. That said, the S-series Humbuckers on my Carvin CS6 combined with that KOA top are real sweet and I do absolutely love the 57 Classics in my Lifeson and wish my R9 had them instead of BBs. But I can also split the coils on my Carvin and often do.

All said though, I can sound great on both and I can $uck on both. As I have aged, I admit I have also mellowed in what I play. When I want sweet clean to just mildly overdriven blues I'll prefer the Strat then probably a tie between my Carvin CS6 and Lifeson. When I want to growl and snarl, it's my R9 that I'll reach for then probably a tie between my Carvin CS6 and Lifeson. If I don't know what to expect, I just take my Carvin CS6 as it does everything well.

As far as Beck is concerned, he's got that integral tremolo, volume swell, integrated style that you couldn't play on anything but a Strat or Strat similar design. Don't know how that relates to manley-ness? Though a great player, I personally can only take about 10 minutes of his music. Now I can listen to Gilmour play a Strat all night . . .

I've been playing guitar for about 11 years. I'm a student at the Berklee College of Music where I study Professional Music and guitar is my main focus. Although what I'm about to say could carry through for the various models that each brand produces, I'm going to concentrate on the "poster boys" for each brand. I think we'd all agree that those are the Stratocaster and the Les Paul.

That being said, I love both Fender and Gibson guitars, but in the end, Fender really does come out on top. This is why I think so.

First off, when you're hearing a Strat, you know it. There's no doubting it. Never in my life have I listened to a guitar and instantly recognized that it was a Les Paul. And that's because a Les Paul is more about playability and sustain and less about tone. The tone of a Les Paul runs together with all the other guitars out there. The same goes for a Tele. I can hear a song and say "Now that's a Tele!" A Les Paul has all the playability and comfort in the world, but you need a good amp and some good effects to get the tone happening whereas a Fender plugged straight into an amp is instant golden tone.

Second, the 5 pickup positions on a Strat have personalities. It's like each one is a different instrument in itself. That 4th position (Neck and middle) on a Strat is just absolutely unlike anything else. I can't say the same for a Les Paul. The rhythm position sounds just a little bassier, middle is like a starting point, and the lead is like a treble boost. I don't hear different personalities in each of those positions like I do on a Strat. It's just little EQ adjustments.

Third, there's absolutely nothing like digging your fingers into a Strat. True blues players have to know what I'm talking about. Something about that spring tremolo system just makes it almost addicting. Just like Jeff Beck said, there's something about "battling" those springs that just make Strats the guitars that make me play better.

Lastly, and though this may not make sense to some people, I have to take a look at all of my guitar idols (and hopefully yours too). Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Buddy Guy, John Frusciante, and John Mayer. This is no coincidence. Yes, yes, yes, I know some of these guys played Gibsons at different points in their careers, but arguing that they aren't known as mainly Strat players is just foolish. Yes, even Clapton.

While I fully and wholeheartedly believe that Fender is the superior instrument, I can't ignore that Gibsons absolutely have their time and place. I'm a huge, huge fan of the 335 and the L5 when it comes to playing jazz. You can't achieve that thick, luscious jazz tone with a solid body Fender. I have a custom 335 that I always pick up to play jazz with. And yes, there are a few key guitar Idols that don't make the Stratocaster list above. Those would be B.B. King, Wes Montgomerey, and Freddie Green.

BOTTOM LINE: Fenders are superior instruments. The evidence is in the wording of this thread title. Why is Fender better than Gibson? We already subconsciously know that Fender is better. While certain Gibsons do have their time and place, Fenders will always come out on top. I don't consider Gibson to be trailing as if they're in 2nd place or anything, I just consider them to be a very, very nice alternative.

I've played more than a cupla guitars over too close to 50 years.

Never cared much for fenders except for their basses.

As I said, they do make a better bayonet in a sleazy bar.

But then, as you (Bluewaterpig) noted, Gibson has it for playability. I'm not so talented that at my age I wanna give up playability for usage as a bayonet. That's across the spectrum of guitars offered.

For what it's worth I don't care for the LP either. Doesn't fit me.

BTW, what's a "true blues player?" And how many of the early blues legends had a whammy bar?

m

I guess I perceive Gibsons as guitars with humbuckers and Fenders as guitars with sigle coils and I don't tend to cross those boundaries. I do have a Fat Strat among my 3 Strats though and as I mentioned before, I have an Epi with P90's, but I sort of look at P90's as a breed apart from single coils and the Fat Strat is sort of a bastard child of the Strat family.

The one area where I suppose I like a Fender over a Gibson is that Fenders can be built like Tinker Toys and it lets you personalize them to your taste, not to mention allowing the individual determine the setup of the guitar on a wider basis than a set neck guitar lets you.

I find more to adjust on a Strat or a Tele than on a guitar with a glued in neck and Tune-O-Matic bridge. Being able to shim the neck, or change it altogether, being able to raise or lower each individual saddle, or being able to intonate each individual saddle helps me set up my Fenders for the best possible playability.

To be a bit child-like, you can even change the color scheme by changing the pickguard and knobs, not to mention changing tension on the trem by using more springs or blocking it altogether.

But it would never cross my mind to look at a Fender guitar with dual humbuckers. Gibson simply does that better.

Fenders are superior instruments......BULLS**T!!!! That is the most uneducated, biased statement I've ever heard. That is YOUR personal opinion, everybody has one. Most of these artists you call "fender" players played Gibsons during arguably the most productive points in their careers. It's been said numerous times in this thread, there is no best, apples/oranges, different guitars for different sounds. (Yes, despite what you say, they have totally different sounds) There is no definitive "best" guitar, so basically this thread is useless.

Well, atleast for me Gibson (especially explorer) is far much better choice... no question about it. Maybe Fender is the best guitar for somebody and fits perfectly... but for my use, it doesn't fit at all... for example pickups must be humbuckers, single coils are not even an option.

Tim , why did you ask the question when you already knew the answer? Fenders are for people who cann't afford a Gibson, Which is why they go on Gibson's web-site and compain about the prices so much.Plus if you don't like a fender neck , you don't have to ajust it ,you just put another one on. LOL OK let me get my flame suit on now LOL.

jamman

Fenders are for people who cann't afford a Gibson.

I am willing to pay for a Gibson, but considering what some other fine guitar manufacturers are selling their instruments for, (Heritage for example), it's hard not to wonder if Gibsons are higher priced than they need to be.

From another perspective, I don't know of a Gibson guitar that can do what a Strat or Tele can do because I don't know of a Gibson guitar made in my lifetime that even tried to compete for the single coil tone market. Fender has made guitars that tried to compete with various Gibson models, guitars that in my opinion were not as good as Gibsons, but I still insist the two brands can't be compared because they never actually approached the same market from a stand point of tone.

You have the right to disagree with me, but then you'd be wrong. [tongue]

Tim , why did you ask the question when you already knew the answer? Fenders are for people who cann't afford a Gibson, Which is why they go on Gibson's web-site and compain about the prices so much.Plus if you don't like a fender neck , you don't have to ajust it ,you just put another one on. LOL OK let me get my flame suit on now LOL.

jamman

Watch it.....I have both [sneaky] USA Fenders too, not Mexican and no Squiers in my collection.

Watch it.....I have both [sneaky] USA Fenders too, not Mexican and no Squiers in my collection.

Have you looked at any of the higher end new Squiers? I think Fender is making more effort to improve that part of the line than pretty much anything else in it. Some of the Telecasters around $350 are incredible. If you can overcome the name on the headstock, they are actually very nice guitars.

Have you looked at any of the higher end new Squiers? I think Fender is making more effort to improve that part of the line than pretty much anything else in it. Some of the Telecasters around $350 are incredible. If you can overcome the name on the headstock, they are actually very nice guitars.

To be honest, I am really curious to try the Vintage Vibe Tele (60s w/ body binding). I keep walking past em but never pick em up and I do need a Tele. Yes, need cuz I have 2 strats and a Jaguar. But I keep thinking that $350 would be better used to pay for a USA tele.

Fenders are superior instruments......BULLS**T!!!! That is the most uneducated, biased statement I've ever heard. That is YOUR personal opinion, everybody has one. Most of these artists you call "fender" players played Gibsons during arguably the most productive points in their careers. It's been said numerous times in this thread, there is no best, apples/oranges, different guitars for different sounds. (Yes, despite what you say, they have totally different sounds) There is no definitive "best" guitar, so basically this thread is useless.

Whoa, whoa, calm down man. You said it yourself, these are all opinions. That was just my opinion. Ha I don't really know why you took it so personally. As for those artists playing Gibsons during arguably the most productive points in their careers, I would think most people would argue that those guys are considered Strat players, maybe with Clapton going both ways.

Also, please don't call me uneducated. You have no idea who I am or how educated I am when it comes to guitars so don't claim that I'm uneducated just because I prefer a different guitar than you do.

P.S. If this thread is so useless, why are you wasting your time posting in it?

The Classic Vibe 60's double bound Teles are pretty sweet, but I promised myself I'd not buy another Squier after my Deluxe Strat ( resale value was horrible :( )

Whoa, whoa, calm down man. You said it yourself, these are all opinions. That was just my opinion. Ha I don't really know why you took it so personally. As for those artists playing Gibsons during arguably the most productive points in their careers, I would think most people would argue that those guys are considered Strat players, maybe with Clapton going both ways.

Also, please don't call me uneducated. You have no idea who I am or how educated I am when it comes to guitars so don't claim that I'm uneducated just because I prefer a different guitar than you do.

P.S. If this thread is so useless, why are you wasting your time posting in it?

To begin with, I didn't call you uneducated, I said the statement you made was. Secondly, I saw nowhere in your post where you said, that any of these statements were your opinion, leading me to believe you were stating these opinions as fact. Also I love all guitars, If I were rich I would have one of each of every guitar ever made, there is no way you can honestly say one is "better" than another.

I'm glad you like Strats, I do too (not as much as I like Teles, though) but they are not superior to any other guitar in my eyes. I am partial to the Gibson SG, but I don't go around saying they are superior to all other guitars, they just suit my fancy. In conclusion, I apologize if I came off harsh, but that was how I feel about the subject.

Brand snobbery aside, whichever guitar does the job, is the "best!"

Jimmy Page, Link Wray, and other's have used those "cheap old"

Danelectro's, to pretty decent effect. Most of the old "Blues"

artists used guitars, that your average spoiled brat GC haunter,

would turn his nose up, at.

So, Whatever Works, you know? ;>)

CB

The Classic Vibe 60's double bound Teles are pretty sweet, but I promised myself I'd not buy another Squier after my Deluxe Strat ( resale value was horrible :( )

You bring up a good point. Since I never buy a guitar for resale value, I will check it out. I never plan on selling guitars after I buy them. Sometimes it happens but pretty rare. Over the last 17+ years of playing I have bought 22 guitars and only let go of 4. No regrets for them. Well, maybe a little for the MIM Fender Tele.

Archived