Gibson Brands Forums

Been workin hard on my scales...

daveinspain

Well I'm with my new professor and it's going very well... He's got me working on my scales. Right now I'm learning the 7 modes of the major scale... I know it's basic stuff but it's really helping me get around the neck... [thumbup]

Well I'm with my new professor and it's going very well... He's got me working on my scales. Right now I'm learning the 7 modes of the major scale... I know it's basic stuff but it's really helping me get around the neck... [thumbup]

great to hear Dave...I hope he works you damn hard! msp_thumbup.gifmsp_biggrin.gif

Matt

I took one guitar lesson my whole life, and the teacher wanted me to practice scales and learn how to read tab..... I never went back. [thumbdn]

For me I learned how to play lead practicing vocal lines from commercial jingles, and vocal lines from songs. You would be surprised how it teaches you to phrase and improvise. I already had the music theory from playing trumpet, so the understanding of music was already there.... plus I was young and I didn't want anyone telling me how I should play [biggrin]

I bet now I could benefit from lessons, but the teacher had better be better than me to where I'm intimidated...

Once you get those scales down, do them in two string groups vertically up and back down the neck. Do two strings in one position then two strings in the position beside it. Then go back to the first position, do two strings, then go to the postion beside it and do two strings. Do that from sixth to first strings and then from first to sixth. Do that all the way up the neck and all the way back. Play with a metronome at 100 bpm. Then set it for 140 bpm when you feel comfortable, and close your eyes.

When you finish that, do two string groups all the way up and then all the way back. Do that for major scales, pentatonic, blues, and whatever scales after that. It has taken me about 2 years and I'm almost thru the blues scales. It has made a huge difference in my playing and getting a feel for the neck.

Note: This is where learning the CAGED method has helped me because it helps me to remember the order of the forms. Once I get a good feel for the pattern in each scale and key, I forget the CAGED forms.

I took one guitar lesson my whole life, and the teacher wanted me to practice scales and learn how to read tab..... I never went back. [thumbdn]

For me I learned how to play lead practicing vocal lines from commercial jingles, and vocal lines from songs. You would be surprised how it teaches you to phrase and improvise. I already had the music theory from playing trumpet, so the understanding of music was already there.... plus I was young and I didn't want anyone telling me how I should play [biggrin]

I bet now I could benefit from lessons, but the teacher had better be better than me to where I'm intimidated...

I hear you Duane, I have been in music all my life and have always had a good natural instinct and I took drum lessons as a kid. I've worked a lot with bands as a sound engineer and producer and have always had good ideas for arrangements and harmonies. I can pick up stuff on my own but I needed to learn the correct fingerings and get some training in scales...

The Major Scale is a must although I don't know what songs use it, I guess country songs use the Minor mode a lot...I still need to connect those dots.

I would hate to take lessons and get practicing scales as homework though, I can do that on my own.

I want tricks and shortcuts, the lines that connect the dots so to speak.

My brother took some early lessons and his teacher actually had this approach where he would play songs following the vocals and also thaught him how to listen and play by ear.

To this day my brother can lisen to a song and play it instrumental style, very cool.

He has tried to take lessons but the teachers he has found so far have told him that frankly there isn't a lot they can teach him other than scales and advanced chords.

The vocal line idea works well in rock/pop especially.

Classical is the only style I am 'trained' in (if you call it that lol), so cannot really comment as a former electric guitar pupil, because I have never been one! I am self taught in jazz/blues, rock etc etc.

I will say this though (and this goes the same for football coaching), some of the finest instruction I had, has been from either non guitarists (who were coaching me in a particular area), or a guitarist that wasn't themselves what people would call a good player themselves, but could see all the angles and offer incredible insight and musical advice.

This is why I use the football coach example as a lot of coaches aren't ex players but men who can still think football and technique without necessarily being able to demonstrate it the selves.

Matt

Dave,

I have been getting instructions since September of 2010. I am 58 years old and not had any lessons. I am playing scales as warm ups for my fingers and practice them all of the time. That is just what my instructor likes as a warm up exercise.

I think some formal instruction is good for everyone and no it is not fun playing scales. It does teach you to get around on the neck and positions of notes on a scale.

I went from Black Dog one week to finger style picking of Scarborough Fair this week. I am learning a lot and he keeps things mixed up so that I am always reaching a little.

Glad I am not the only adult that is getting lessons.

Play scales/modes/arpeggios along one string

They are very useful aren't they?!

Also scales in thirds and sixths are incredibly useful. An inexpensive book that I would recommend is Joe Satriani's books 'Guitar Secrets'. It has the best of his Guitar World monthly columns in it and really opens up a whole new world. He discusses, one string scales, dissonance and where it can work, modes, chords, shifting potision, scales in sequences, arpeggios and where to use them and there are ear exercises and loads of snippets of other useful stuff too!

Matt

51l8yzrsraL._SL160_.jpg

I'm also 58 and have been taking lessons for the last 6 or 7 years. Before that, I hadn't had a lesson for almost 40 years. I'm one of those who actually enjoys practicing scales. When I don't feel like practicing, warming up by practicing scales can get me motivated. It's like meditation for me.

I'm 55, started playing at 51... I know I'll never be Joe Satriani but I will be happy being me at the best level I can achieve. Can't teach an old dog new tricks... I beg to differ...

If you order it from Amazon.fr it'll be €7.40 euros and still in English!

That's very cheap.

I think I may just buy it as well.

Matt, thank you for the reference.

If you order it from Amazon.fr it'll be €7.40 euros and still in English!

That's very cheap.

I think I may just buy it as well.

Matt, thank you for the reference.

my pleasure!

I'm 55, started playing at 51... I know I'll never be Joe Satriani but I will be happy being me at the best level I can achieve. Can't teach an old dog new tricks... I beg to differ...

I think it is great you are doing this and you are of no age, I teach a lovely old guy called John, he is 82 and has been playing for a year. He practices alot and is already about grade 3 to 4 standard on the classical guitarmsp_scared.gif What limits him is tha this hands often are very stiff, but he is very musical but it is his attitude that is the most inspiring thing! He puts a lot of kids I teach to shame. He takes notes, listens carefully and really goes away and works on what he has written down

I have this quote in the teaching section of my website because I believe in it whole heartedly!!!!!

It's never too late to be who you might have been

my pleasure!

I think it is great you are doing this and you are of no age, I teach a lovely old guy called John, he is 82 and has been playing for a year. He practices alot and is already about grade 3 to 4 standard on the classical guitarmsp_scared.gif What limits him is tha this hands often are very stiff, but he is very musical but it is his attitude that is the most inspiring thing! He puts a lot of kids I teach to shame. He takes notes, listens carefully and really goes away and works on what he has written down

I have this quote in the teaching section of my website because I believe in it whole heartedly!!!!!

It's never too late to be who you might have been

Thats good to hear, I start lessons next Monday!

Matt I like that quote, is it your's?

Thats good to hear, I start lessons next Monday!

Matt I like that quote, is it your's?

I wish!!! The only quote I came out with which I was proud was likening seeing my in laws to seeing the the dentist! msp_scared.gifmsp_biggrin.gifmsp_crying.gif

It was a this lady; the English writer George Eliot.

George_Eliot_at_30_by_Fran%C3%A7ois_D%27Albert_Durade.jpg

Archived