Gibson Brands Forums

estate auction

davidl

Hi folks,

I came across an estate auction notice this morning. In it there is an LP Recording model with a serial number 82840592. I'm a little confused. I think it is either a 1980 model or a 1971.

I'm thinking of putting in a bid. It looks to be in great condition.

Does anyone have a clue what might be a fair price given that I think it is original?

Here's a few pics.

fi23.jpg

fi18.jpg

fi19.jpg

fi21.jpg

Thanks for any info you may have.

Dave

That is a 71 judging from the volute that it has at the bottom of the back of the head stock... But be ware, that is not a Gibson LP Recording... It looks like a Gibson Sonex with a recording truss rod cover to me... The Gibson Recording has a stereo outputs (2 1/4 inch jack outputs) and little square switches on the pickguard as well...

Les Paul Recording

original.jpg

Sonex

feature-1980-Sonex-180.jpg

That is a 71 judging from the volute that it has at the bottom of the back of the head stock... But be ware, that is not a Gibson LP Recording... It looks like a Gibson Sonex with a recording truss rod cover to me... The Gibson Recording has a stereo outputs (2 1/4 inch jack outputs) and little square switches on the pickguard as well...

Les Paul Recording

original.jpg

Good call Dave.

While I'm not real familiar with either the Sonex or Recording, I thought the Recording model had more knobs and switches too.

Same question though. Any idea of a fair price?

Thanks

Dave

Les was the only guy that ever seriously used the Recording model, and the Sonex came and went very quickly. I tried and used both, both were pretty dreadful. I'd pass if I were you.

rct

Thanks for the info guys.

I e-mailed the auction house to let them know what they actually have.

I think I would buy it for $500 or less just for its part of history.

Dave

Thanks for the info guys.

I e-mailed the auction house to let them know what they actually have.

I think I would buy it for $500 or less just for its part of history.

Dave

Good one... I have a Corvus and love it, it's one of those Gibsons that has a place in history too....

I'd check with several different shops to see what their best sell price cash out the door is, to get an idea as to what they are selling for retail, to get you in the right ball park price wise!!!

Nice idea but I think I'd be hard pressed to find one in a shop.

Who knows?

Dave

Definately not a recording model. The pics of the Recording being posted by the others are accurate.

I would even go as far as saying the fact the Sonex has a pick-guard cover from a different guitar would lower it's value some... at least it's an angle that I would use in trying to get the price down if it was not an auction.

Kind of missed the concept on price for a Recording model but I just purchased a 1976 recording in what looks like unplayed condition other than some 30 years of grime the guitar looks new had a brand new set of strings that had been installed in 1983 ( guy wrote the date on the package and had it in the case) and that was probably the last time it was touched and I paid $ 1,300

Archived