Gibson Brands Forums

St. Anger

Crocstar6

Why do so many people hate this album? I like it! I mean, just because its different, doesnt mean you have to hate it. Well, i guess that defines why no one likes gingers/ redheads or foreigners. i mean really, why cant so many people accept difference? if everything was the same , the world would be as boring as legos. and yes, im aware that im ranting [lol]

It's not very different, just very mediocre imo.

Maybe try listening a little closer, you may just hear classical scales in most of their songs. Oh ooops forgot, they don't sound like a bunch of screaming morons...just sayin ....jk

I personally like the album, maybe not their best work but a step in the right direction. St.Anger is my all time favorite album..so raw, so much anger....love it.

I actually really liked St. Anger......and Legos. I'm not fond of "Invisible Kid." Love the song "St. Anger"...gonna be the theme for my next tattoo due to sentimental and personal reasons. Also the snare sound everybody seems to hate sounds appropriate for the songs. Hearing Lars' usual snare on St. Anger doesn't sound right to me. "Shoot Me Again" is a bada$$ song. "All Within My Hands" is f-ing awesome. All you haters can seck it cuz that album still went multiplatinum!

I liked Frantic, St. Anger and Some Kind of Monster off that album. It wasnt a bad album, it was something different for Metallica and I don't think the loyal fan base appreciated it. It was more of a modern heavy metal album with no long shredding solo's which of course the loyal fan base grew to love over the years, well thats my take on it anyways, its why I didn't like the album as much but I still own a copy of it.

Maybe try listening a little closer, you may just hear classical scales in most of their songs. Oh ooops forgot, they don't sound like a bunch of screaming morons...just sayin ....jk

I personally like the album, maybe not their best work but a step in the right direction. St.Anger is my all time favorite album..so raw, so much anger....love it.

Just because a metal band uses classical scales doesnt mean the work will be good. Tons of bands combine genres and do it horribly.

Just because a metal band uses classical scales doesnt mean the work will be good. Tons of bands combine genres and do it horribly.

You know this is why it's very important to actually read the title of the original post. Axe what I said......I was confused and thought it said Death Magnetic...that's my story and I"m sticking to it lol

I'm not gonna read the whole thread, and I'm not gonna listen to the album.

But I will ask - what's a "classical scale"?

Is that like from C to C on the keyboard?

That would be genius, if I had to offer an opinion.

Hope this helps you Riverside

There are seven scales in classical music that go back hundreds of years, they are in accending order the Ionian, the Dorian, the Phrygian, the Lydian, the Mixolydian, the Aeolian and The Locrian. They begin let's say on the white keys of a piano or a guitar with the major scale or Ionian which goes CDEFGABC.

The next classical scale is the Dorian which starts at D and goes DEFGABCD. No sharps or flats. The Phyrgian scale is EFGABCDE, the Lydian scale is FGABCDEF, the Mixmolydian scale is GABCDEFG, a major with a flat seventh, the Aolian scale is ABCDEFGA or the A minor scale, and the Locrian scale is BCDEFGAB. These are all the seven classical scales.

What makes it a particular classical scale is the note you start on which is the bass note, for example the left hand of the piano or the bass guitar would be playing that note for you to play over. There is a simple way on the guitar of playing all of these classical scales with only one shape, the minor shape, or whichever one you choose to transpose. Lets say you like the minor scale shape and your bass note is always A. Starting with A minor scale, move the shape of the notes you are playing up two frets, until you are playing the B minor scale.

With the A bass note the B minor scale is the A mixmolydian. ABC#DEF#GA. Now move up to the C#minor scale and you are now playing A Lydian scale. ABC#EbEF#G#A. Move up to D minor over A and its the Phrygian scale, E minor over A and its the Dorian scale, F# minor over A and its the Ionian scale (or major), and G minor over A and its the Locrian scale. There are only seven classical scales, but they can be played in many different ways.

Using this method, you can play all the classical scales by remembering one shape and its relative starting point to the bass note. As you can see the order of which minor scales fit is determined by using the mixmolydian scale as a guide for which minor scales to play over the bass note.

Hope this helps you Riverside

There are seven scales in classical music that go back hundreds of years, they are in accending order the Ionian, the Dorian, the Phrygian, the Lydian, the Mixolydian, the Aeolian and The Locrian. They begin let's say on the white keys of a piano or a guitar with the major scale or Ionian which goes CDEFGABC.

The next classical scale is the Dorian which starts at D and goes DEFGABCD. No sharps or flats. The Phyrgian scale is EFGABCDE, the Lydian scale is FGABCDEF, the Mixmolydian scale is GABCDEFG, a major with a flat seventh, the Aolian scale is ABCDEFGA or the A minor scale, and the Locrian scale is BCDEFGAB. These are all the seven classical scales.

What makes it a particular classical scale is the note you start on which is the bass note, for example the left hand of the piano or the bass guitar would be playing that note for you to play over. There is a simple way on the guitar of playing all of these classical scales with only one shape, the minor shape, or whichever one you choose to transpose. Lets say you like the minor scale shape and your bass note is always A. Starting with A minor scale, move the shape of the notes you are playing up two frets, until you are playing the B minor scale.

With the A bass note the B minor scale is the A mixmolydian. ABC#DEF#GA. Now move up to the C#minor scale and you are now playing A Lydian scale. ABC#EbEF#G#A. Move up to D minor over A and its the Phrygian scale, E minor over A and its the Dorian scale, F# minor over A and its the Ionian scale (or major), and G minor over A and its the Locrian scale. There are only seven classical scales, but they can be played in many different ways.

Using this method, you can play all the classical scales by remembering one shape and its relative starting point to the bass note. As you can see the order of which minor scales fit is determined by using the mixmolydian scale as a guide for which minor scales to play over the bass note.

And these guys thought it all up and played them on this album?

Cool.

yeah, that album sounds worse than a demo recorded on a ghetto blaster. i don't know if they meant to produce and record it like that, but they could've saved a bunch of money by having an amateur record it on a 4-track. the riffs are decent though. better than anything post-'and justice for all'. personally, the first three albums (they peaked at 'master of puppets') are all i need to listen to from that band....

Archived