Gibson Brands Forums

Just changed strings for the first time, slight problem?

Tomble

I've had others do it for me a few times but decided it was time to learn, did a pretty neat job and everything looks fine. Only concern I have is that at around the 12th+ fret I get a buzzing noise when the string is pressed against the fret board as if it's too loose, this only happens with the EAD strings. I'm guessing either it's not stringed correctly or the strings just need a chance to stretch out a little (literally put them on about 30 minutes ago). I'm using these in my Sheraton 2, simply because when I bought the guitar the guy threw them in for free so figured they'd be the right ones.

Cheers.

[unsure]

Not sure about numbers, but the individual sizes go down as the number itself goes up (?). You may have the strings in the wrong position, or you may have a twist in the neck, or you may have a problem with the nut (not cut properly), or you may have a bridge saddle problem...all these things should be checked. When the guy handed you the strings, were they still in the package? Was the package opened? When I string a guitar, I take them out of the package ONE AT A TIME, and put them on, thread it through the peg, make sure there's enough slack, put a bend up, and make sure all wraps are underneath the bend I made, so it cinches up against the bend when it tightens up around the peg.

G'day, welcome to the forum, there's a great bunch around here, I hope you enjoy it.

My best guess going on the problem you describe, this can often occur when changing to a lighter gauge of strings, the lighter strings don't create as much tension in the neck and therefore a truss-rod and/or bridge height adlusment(s) maybe needed to correct the action. You can always try heavier gauge strings to try and achieve the previous state or try the adjustments just mentioned, info on how to do those things is in the DO-IT-YOURSELF thread pinned to the top of the Epi Lounge.

Cheers Matiac, yep they're all in the right order and were unopened. I watched a ton of videos on YouTube of how to string before I started and they look pretty perfect (all the strings curl around the pegs in a downward motion very neatly), tuned up and stretched the strings gently a couple times. I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the nut or bridge as my old set of strings (factory ones) sounded fine. I'm just left thinking maybe the gauge of these strings are slightly lower than what I had previously so the bridge may need adjusting?

G'day, welcome to the forum, there's a great bunch around here, I hope you enjoy it.

My best guess going on the problem you describe, this can often occur when changing to a lighter gauge of strings, the lighter strings don't create as much tension in the neck and therefore a truss-rod and/or bridge height adlusment(s) maybe needed to correct the action. You can always try heavier gauge strings to try and achieve the previous state or try the adjustments just mentioned, info on how to do those things is in the DO-IT-YOURSELF thread pinned to the top of the Epi Lounge.

Heh, beat me to it. Gonna try this, pretty sure it'll work!

Thanks all.

Heh, beat me to it. Gonna try this, pretty sure it'll work!

Thanks all.

New strings will often buzz for a bit. If it was me, before I did a truss rod adjustment I would play it for a while (an hour?) and see if the buzzing is as noticeable. I use the d'addario 10s on my guitars and they are quite buzzy when fresh, especially the wound strings.

-cal

New strings will often buzz for a bit. If it was me, before I did a truss rod adjustment I would play it for a while (an hour?) and see if the buzzing is as noticeable. I use the d'addario 10s on my guitars and they are quite buzzy when fresh, especially the wound strings.

-cal

I've never had that problem, maybe coz I use EBs, weird.

Hmm, I've never had new strings buzz, had 'em sound rather twangy when new, then "full-out" after a good stretch and a few plays on them, especially these 0.10's I've been using lately. Thinking about going back to .009's on it to ease playing 'til I can at least find out what's up with my frikkin' hands. Again.

Give the guitar a few hours to settle before adjusting. You may have accidentally lowered the bridge slightly at the EAD side. Or, if the strings are a lighter guage, the bend in the neck may have moved slightly.

Try raising the bridge very slightly at the EAD side and see if the buzz goes away. If not, lower it back down again and adjust the truss rod - slacken about a quarter turn , to allow the neck to bow slightly more.

As with what others have said, you have accidentally tweaked the bridge a bit, or are using lighter strings. When I went from 10s to 9s I had to re-adjust my bridge and truss rod to stop the string buzz in certain areas. If you've never had these problems before I wouldn't worry about your nut, but that's just me.

I'm down wit' it... Good advice so far -

1. Lighter String gauge?

2. Accidental bridge tweak?

3. Garlic Breath?

Your strings SHOULD be .046 - .010 from the factory:

EPIPHONE STRING GAUGES - as installed at Factory (pdf format chart)

http://www.epiphone.com/images/StringGauges.pdf

Also, could be due to WEATHER changes... High Humidity or Hotter Temps...REALLY.

Humidity makes Wood expand, causes backbow, fret buzz.

Heat makes truss rod expand, causes backbow, fret buzz.

This would require a bit of a tweak to loosen the truss rod as has been suggested

by antwhi. All-in-all, good advice from the folks here!!!

I just wanted to add to the confusion with the "Weather Channel" bit.

Bwaaaaa-haaaa-haaaaa. Totally serious about the weather affecting the neck - really noticable on

thinner necks.

[blink][blink][blink]

Woah, great response all thanks for the help..

I took it into the store earlier for them to have a look, they said the strings were (as you point out) the correct size and there was nothing wrong with the bridge/nut so just suggested I play it for a couple days to let the strings stretch and if it continues they'd sort it out.

On another note, don't regret joining the forums at all!

• 2 weeks later...

EASIEST WAY TO SEE IF ALL IS FINE IS PUT A CAPO ON FIRST FRET PRESS 6TH STRING DOWN ON LAST FRET SEE IF YOU CAN SEE A SPACE BETWEEN BOTTOM OF STRING AND TOP OF FRET ON THE 8TH FRET YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO SLIDE A .010 FEELER GAUGE INBETWEEN IF SPCE IS TO BIG ADJUST THE NECK IF YOU CAN'T ADJUST NECK THE OTHER WAY. IF FEELER GUAGE SLIDES IN BETWEEN SNUGLY WITHOUT MOVING THE STRING. ALL IS WELL WITH THE NECK. IF NOT ADJUST TRUSS ROD 1/4 TURN AT A TIME.

IF ALL IS WELL ADJUST BRIDGE 3/32'S ON 17TH FRET 6TH STRING BETWEEN BOTTOM OF STRING AND TOP OF FRET WITH CAPO ON 1ST FRET 2/32NDS ON 1ST STRING.

EASIEST WAY TO SEE IF ALL IS FINE IS PUT A CAPO ON FIRST FRET PRESS 6TH STRING DOWN ON LAST FRET SEE IF YOU CAN SEE A SPACE BETWEEN BOTTOM OF STRING AND TOP OF FRET ON THE 8TH FRET YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO SLIDE A .010 FEELER GAUGE INBETWEEN IF SPCE IS TO BIG ADJUST THE NECK IF YOU CAN'T ADJUST NECK THE OTHER WAY. IF FEELER GUAGE SLIDES IN BETWEEN SNUGLY WITHOUT MOVING THE STRING. ALL IS WELL WITH THE NECK. IF NOT ADJUST TRUSS ROD 1/4 TURN AT A TIME.

IF ALL IS WELL ADJUST BRIDGE 3/32'S ON 17TH FRET 6TH STRING BETWEEN BOTTOM OF STRING AND TOP OF FRET WITH CAPO ON 1ST FRET 2/32NDS ON 1ST STRING.

WHAT DID YOU SAY, I COULDN'T HEAR YOU ???

Those are the ones I use on my Sheraton. I just changed them after I bought it and have

no buzzes any where. Good advice all around above and it sounds like you checked it over.

It seems like if it's only happening when pressing at the twelth fret and higher, it would

be more "action" related. Even though the bridge checked out, it could need a slight adjustment

upwards on that side. Or perhaps a fret lifted a bit and needs to be pushed back down?

Archived