Gibson Brands Forums

New guitar day....Advanced Jumbo!

Alex_78

I just came back from a travel to the East...with a big smile!

I was looking for a Woodie Guthrie and I came back with an AJ, what surprised me is that the guitar was built the 25th of april 2011, therefore it's fresh from Montana, but the Gibson website doesn't give any information on the model and I thought it was discontinued...anybody know anything about that?

Another strange thing: the guitar without the famous firestripe pickguard, the seller told me that she received three of these new AJ and as far as she recalls none had the pickguard, should I ask Gibson if they send one?

Pics tomorrow, no it's pretty dark, but all I can say is that I tried a J-50, a SJ, a J-45 TV, a standard J-45, a SJ signature (the one with the eagle on the 12th fret) but the AJ was another class of instrument, as clarity, projection and playability. And I didn't even pay much... :)

... I thought it was discontinued...

There's no such thing as "discontinued". Bozeman will happily build you one of any model they've ever built (subject to availability of materials).

In a few cases, they will have to make minor changes to avoid violating an agreement with a dealer or group of dealers that a certain model would be exclusively available to it/them. Last I heard, the standard AJ is a Five Star Dealer Exclusive right now, which just might be why your came without a pickguard.

-- Bob R

The AJ's are very nice Guitars but comparing one to a J-50, J-45 J-45TV, SJ, is an Apples to Oranges comparison since they all are short scale and the AJ is long scale. I'd get the pickguard! Congrats on the new Gibby.

I have played several of those that I really liked. Loud, sensitive, articulate. Stupendous bass. Some strings will help control boominess which is possible on a big old rosewood dread. I think long scale maybe does create a more majestic sound, though I generally prefer short because the stretches are easier.

There's no such thing as "discontinued". Bozeman will happily build you one of any model they've ever built (subject to availability of materials).

In a few cases, they will have to make minor changes to avoid violating an agreement with a dealer or group of dealers that a certain model would be exclusively available to it/them. Last I heard, the standard AJ is a Five Star Dealer Exclusive right now, which just might be why your came without a pickguard.

-- Bob R

Therefore it's a custom order model now? It doesn't have the custom logo (nor the historic) on the back of the headstock...

Did the guitar come without any pickguard at all or was it just a different one that you expected?

The guitar came with no pickguard AT ALL, and I wonder why:

aj011.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BTW getting an AJ firestripe pickguard is not as easy as a teardrop Martin.

The AJ's are very nice Guitars but comparing one to a J-50, J-45 J-45TV, SJ, is an Apples to Oranges comparison since they all are short scale and the AJ is long scale. I'd get the pickguard! Congrats on the new Gibby.

You know, when you step in a shop you try to get the best guitar you can find, and you don't reason why scale length etc...to me (and my friend) the J-45TV was a huge disappointment, it was the worst of the lot. The SJ sounded so so, the Kristoffsen was the best of the short scale but the AJ had much more projection and more definition, I assume that it depends by the rosewood and the bracing, not the short scale. I'd be curious to try the rosewood 45 but they didn't have that model tough...

Congrats! I had wanted an AJ for a long time, then one day I walked into Guitar Center and they were blowing them out at a stupid low price! They had three to choose from, so I sat there for a long time going back and forth between the three and picked the best one. I have had it for nearly 2 1/2 years now. It is a great guitar. I still love it and am amazed at the bold, dynamic sound that comes out of that box.

Enjoy yours!

Alex congrats on the new AJ.

Concerning the lack of pickguard, it is odd that it didn't come with one.

I was going to suggest getting one from Terrapin Guitars but it appears on their site that the firestripe material is no longer available.

You might want to contact them and see if it's just a temporary thing.

You should contact Axiom and see if they may have some firestripe material.

There is a guy named James Burkett and he makes fantastic firestripe reproductions. Check him out to see if he can help you out.

Good luck.

That is very odd that it didn't come with any pickguard. I know in the past there has been at least one other model that didn't have the pickguard installed, but it was included in the case in case the owner wanted an option to install it or not. It might be worth a call to Gibson in Bozeman to see if there was supposed to be a pickguard with that particular guitar or not. I consider the AJ more of a strumming guitar and as such, you'd sure think there would be a pickguard on it. But it is possible that it was a special order by the store where you bought it and they deleted the pickguard option in order to save a little money off the price of the guitar. Not a great decision, IMHO.

That is very odd that it didn't come with any pickguard. I know in the past there has been at least one other model that didn't have the pickguard installed, but it was included in the case in case the owner wanted an option to install it or not. It might be worth a call to Gibson in Bozeman to see if there was supposed to be a pickguard with that particular guitar or not. I consider the AJ more of a strumming guitar and as such, you'd sure think there would be a pickguard on it. But it is possible that it was a special order by the store where you bought it and they deleted the pickguard option in order to save a little money off the price of the guitar. Not a great decision, IMHO.

Yes, I also thought that the pickguard would have been in the case, like it was in the cases of my Guilds, but there wasn't! The clerks also showed me the original cardbox because I supposed they switched cases with another model, but it seemed it was the original package...there also wasn't the checklist, however I wrote to the customer's service to ask if they can send me one, the guitar sounded too good and I didn't want to leave it in the shop. As I already said, the shop ordered three AJs and they were all gone in a matter of one week, so I couldn't compare the others, however IMO the look of an AJ is not complete without a firestripe pickguard and I hope that they're sending one.

aj004.jpg

When I pointed out that the guitar didn't have the pickguard that idiotic clerk started to yell :" We don't remove any pickguards from the guitar and I'll go to take the case JUST if you buy this guitar."

Stupid moron... <_<

aj006.jpg

However the guitar doesn't look "cheap", the quality of the quartersawn rosewood is very high, and the tuners are the new Grover Sta-tie 18:1, an improvement from the usual Gotohs...

post-33187-073068000 1307287723_thumb.jpg

post-33187-023962600 1307287807_thumb.jpg

post-33187-075515300 1307287819_thumb.jpg

If Gibson can't provide you with one try here: http://www.firestripepickguards.com/

You beat me to it.

Alex, these are actually much nicer than the stock pickguard (at least in the sense of being much closer to a '30s firestripe in appearance). There's something to be said for just buying one of these and counting yourself lucky that there wasn't a pickguard on the there already.

-- Bob R

You beat me to it.

Alex, these are actually much nicer than the stock pickguard (at least in the sense of being much closer to a '30s firestripe in appearance). There's something to be said for just buying one of these and counting yourself lucky that there wasn't a pickguard on the there already.

-- Bob R

I see they're nice and better than the standard production but they also are a little pricey! :P

Ok I'll try to contact them to see if they have them in stock, I heard that firestripe celluloid is difficult to procure today, and it seems that it's only made in Italy today... :blink:

Had an AJRI here since Feb. 2003. Owned many guitars & as have posted here before on the subject will just a say that a good AJRI is a tremendous instrument. Hardly a strummer IMO: it is as.good as they get for flatpicking or about anything. 'Nuf said.

Not sure why no PG but have fun with your guitar.

I think it looks pretty good sans pickguard. If Gibson can't provide you with one try here: http://www.firestripepickguards.com/

Congrats on your new AJ! I've owned at least 4 new Bozeman ones over the last decade. They are one of the best production guitars out there period!

Sent and email, but they didn't answer...

BTW, anybody know if the top is red spruce and if the bridge and fingerboard is still MRW? The customer's service doesn't know, but it seems they're willing to send me a pickguard if I can prove that I bought from an authorised dealer nad show the pics of the guitars, at least they are making an effort! :)

Had an AJRI here since Feb. 2003. Owned many guitars & as have posted here before on the subject will just a say that a good AJRI is a tremendous instrument. Hardly a strummer IMO: it is as.good as they get for flatpicking or about anything. 'Nuf said.

Not sure why no PG but have fun with your guitar.

I find it very good for strumming, flatpicking and fingerstyle, it's VERY loud and a little unbalanced (very strong bass), and yes, the Bone Crusher fears no Martin dreadnought!

I have a problem tough setting up the action: I sanded a little bit the botton of the bridge, but due to the design, I couldn't work that much that was, on the top the radius is very weird and I won't risk working on that.

Archived