Gibson Brands Forums

Do you keep play money?

Steven Tari

Some of us "older" folks may be past living day to day; some not.

I've a friend, too, who's awaiting a transplant in Canada hoping he'll make it that long. He has plenty of cash... but talk about living day to day... That's a factor more frequently seen as folks age. Then regardless where in the "western" world, cash disappears as illness appears. Sad fact of life, but still a fact. Government pensions and insurance seem the best bet, but still...

m

I don't keep much play money around, but I do allow for the occasional indulgance.

Typically one every 2 or 3 years, I can get myself one nice piece of gear. Sometimes if the money is there and I come across a really good deal I'll indulge more frequently. When I got my Les Paul a few weeks ago, that was my indulgance for this year.

Maybe in a few more years I'll get another SG or Les Paul. I've also been sizing up a few other guitars made by that company some may call "the F word". I don't have anything that gets that Fender sound at all, so I may go after one; but I'm also looking for a Les Paul Standard so I'll be less tempted to play my current LP so frequently since it's a limited edition model.

I recently bought a house so there is no more play money. I need to spend $5,500 to replace the AC units. Ouch. So I'll be selling a couple guitars I didn't think I would have to part with. Sold my Jackson Kelly but ended up buying a USA Fender Tele. I'm trying to sell my Kramer and LTD EC-256. The LTD MH301 is next on the chopping block followed by the Flying V copy. [crying][crying]

What is money, really? It used to be a medium of currency, trade-able for goods and services. In some countries the currency was even backed by gold or silver. Nowadays, we have a slew of worthless printed cloth / paper posing as real money, not backed by anything other than the promise that we can print more of it.<_<

Archived