Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul GT Trad Pro,50s neck, P90s

marvar

Was at GC the other day- saw a guy playing a new LP Trad Pro Gold Top w/P90s

THe salesman said it just showed up the other day- the guy trying it out bought it- I inquired if there were any more- the salesman ordered it from another store, should be here soon.

Anyone else seen these?

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

These are the new split-coil P90s, not P100s.

Split coil p90s has me confused, can you hung in a link to any info?

I played one of these at GC yesterday. If I had 2 grand in the bank I would've bought it on the spot. I even applied for their crappy GC credit card. This thing sings.

As for the coil-tapped p-90, someone said they wind it to a certain point, then run a new lead and finish winding it, so you can "tap" it for a lighter, more tele-like sound. I don't know if that's actually true, but that's the word on the street. The kid at GC told me they were p-100s, but it's not uncommon for a GC employee to have no fu ckin g clue what they're talking about.

The jury's still out on this one, as far as I'm concerned. Although I want to believe that it's a tapped p90. I was ready to buy it on sound alone- and I've never particularly liked the sound of p100s or other "hum-canceling" p90-type of pu's. I thought that I had found an exceptionally wound one by coincidence or something.

I saw one in GC last week. They had just arrived and the manager had a call in to Gibson to get more info on the pups but they hadn't called back. I haven't had a chance to get back in to see if they had an answer. It is a very nice guitar, if I had the funds (or a job), I would have brought it home with me.

I went to my local GC today and they had one, sweet looking, 2 piece back in the satin finish, from what I can tell they seem like P-90's, got some hum moved around and it was gone, with the tap engaged the sound got thinner and the output was less, hard to say where the tap tap is 60-75% of the coil. The 50's neck on this one had shoulders, she had locking stoptail, bridge and tuners, was on the heavy side. If they had a 20% off I would have taken it home, can't really afford a new guitar, maybe I sell my 50's tribute, she was def better tone wise.

Here is all the poop on it-

My link

Thanks for posting the link - just posted yesterday! We have one of these in our area to demo, it's fast become one of the favorites due to the new split coil P-90s;

"Beyond the look and feel of this great new member of the Les Paul family, a pair of Gibson USA's new Tapped P-90 pickups take the Les Paul Traditional Pro with Tapped P-90s right over the top. A "coil tap" feature usually refers to splitting a humbucking pickup, but in the truer sense of the term these new single-coil units are wound with a "tap wire" that eliminates a portion of the coil, to access a second sound from each pickup. In full mode each pickup sounds like a traditional thick, snarly Alnico V P-90 in its position (approximately 7kHz in the neck position and 8.6kHz in the bridge), but lift the push-pull switch on each pickup's volume control, and resistance levels drop to 5kHz and 6kHz respectively, for a brighter, sharper single-coil sound that is still rich and authentic, and not as thin as other pickups that are split entirely in half. A great new feature, this pickup makes its debut on the Les Paul Traditional Pro with Tapped P-90s, exclusive from Guitar Center."

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have had one for about a month too. It is just an incredible guitar. I absolutely love it. A friend of mine plays for a well known band and he has pretty much stolen it from me.

Back in late November 2011 I was in the market for a new humbucking Les Paul to replace my '97 Les Paul Standard Sunburst, which just didn't seem to cut through well enough or sound good enough when playing on stage with the band. I tried many sets of boutique humbuckers in that guitar, all the way from low to high output. No matter what I tried, the quality of the tone just did not compete with my Strat, which is equipped with Barden S-Deluxe pups. Although the Strat sounds great, it does not take the place of a good Les Paul tone when you need one.

So there I was at the GC in Falls Church, VA, the week before Black Friday, trying out the new Les Paul Standard, and also the Les Paul Traditional, running each through a nice, crunchy Egnater tube amp. They sounded okay, but not the phenomenal step up from the tone of my Sunburst that I was looking for. Then I spied the Traditional Pro Goldtop w/P90's hanging on the wall. I had never played a P90-equipped guitar before. So they handed me the guitar and I plugged it in and WHAM! Holy smoke! The sound, feel, and playability were out of this world! Acoustically this was a great guitar, but plugged in, it had everything I was looking for. Bite, cut, attitude, clarity. No humbucking muddiness at all.

However, the Gibson P90's were very noisy! I knew that was going to be an issue playing live with the band. Then I remembered Barden's Soapbar pickups! I ordered a set in Cream and installed them the day of my next gig. A couple of hours later, I was on stage having the time of my life! The Barden Soapbars were just made for this guitar. What a perfect match. They definitely give you the Les Paul P90 growl, but with the addition of Barden's fat, refined high-end, which gives you plenty of meat for leads above the 12th fret -- plus NO NOISE, and they look great too! This is now my main gigging guitar! I've attached a photo below. [thumbup]

IMG_2265f.jpg

• 2 years later...

Old thread, but I love these guitars...

Got mine used for a self-christmas present in 2013...

DSCN2026_zps999b9a8e.jpg

Regular P90's with a TAP in mid wind - pull the tone knob for a thin VERY single coil sound, more like a Danelectro lipstick pup than a Telecaster, but great for variety. VERY fast, easy playing and beautiful sounding guitar...probably my all time favorite playing Les Paul. msp_thumbup.gif

Certainly would recommend Gibson make more of these, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Archived