Gibson Brands Forums

Post your Old Band picture or your Old Self picture .

DonCarlos

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reviving this awesome thread from the past, here's my band circa 1978. I'm playing the Explorer copy into the Univox stack. Actually sounded awesome.

Still have both. The Cameo Explorer copy is just a body after I destroyed it with smoke bombs playing at a frat house in '79. Then I sprayed it white and it was unplayable.

The Univox head and cab still rock. If I remember correctly it has 6L6s and wouldn't break-up without a pedal. I used an Electro Harmonics LPB-1 that plugged into my guitar to get some dirt back in the day and couldn't be happier.

Dude on the right is playing a Carlo Robelli Les Paul that he insisted on destroying one night. I eventually let him do so.

19782800x600.jpg

I have to say this is one of the coolest threads ever in this forum. It is really funny to see a lot of geezers my age (64) or thereabouts, and realize that we all went through a lot of the same changes in the 60s and 70s.

The changes seemed most pronounced between '65 (Rubber Soul) and '69 (Woodstock).

What a great flashback!

I actually thought I WAS having a flashback....lol......I must say this is a cool thread. Some pretty interesting hairstyles from back then.....lol......and the present day hair cuts are pretty interesting too....lol. I wish I had some guitar playing pics from my youth, but they've been lost in the sands of time. Trust me, I haven't changed that much....lol

I actually thought I WAS having a flashback....lol......I must say this is a cool thread. Some pretty interesting hairstyles from back then.....lol......and the present day hair cuts are pretty interesting too....lol. I wish I had some guitar playing pics from my youth, but they've been lost in the sands of time. Trust me, I haven't changed that much....lol

Man...I'm with you.....I was reading it again and enjoyed it all over again!

Trust me, I haven't changed that much....lol

Right! Try looking in the mirror sometime.(Who is that geezer?) Put your glasses on. Don't forget to wipe the drool off your chin. Did some 20-year-old chick really think you were cool because you played a guitar? Hard to believe now, isn't it?[biggrin]

Right! Try looking in the mirror sometime.(Who is that geezer?) Put your glasses on. Don't forget to wipe the drool off your chin. Did some 20-year-old chick really think you were cool because you played a guitar? Hard to believe now, isn't it?[biggrin]

Nick...do you know the Bonnie Rait song "Nick of time" (by the way, is that song about you, Nick???....lol) some pretty heavy lyrics that are SOOOO true:

I see my folks, they're getting old, I watch their bodies change...

I know they see the same in me, And it makes us both feel strange...

No matter how you tell yourself, It's what we all go through...

Those eyes are pretty hard to take when they're staring' back at you.

Scared you'll run out of time.

The only solution....Keep on Pluckin"!!!

E-minor7approx78.jpgThe Tired Servicemen

in the hall of Eds parents house trying to record - Approx. '78.

A 5 piece band.

Electrics – Fender Strat. and a burst Framus

Acoustics – Yamaha, Ibanez and my Morris as seen -

Bass – Fender Jazz

Drums – Some unnameable trash kit w. one good cymbal

Repertoire – Garage folkrock. This might be a rendition of Maggie's Farm in the rather savage recently released Hard Rain version. My left hand is in a Love The One You're With A-chord position though.

We had sparse gear, but used what was available. F.x. I see one of my fathers mics in the lower right corner. Another longish thing is hanging from the ceiling. The Morris still exists – a good friend have it.

Sad to say 3 of the guys left the planet much too early, , , so sad.. . .

Em7, I really love this picture. The things we used to do to try to make the music sound better! In college, we used to play in the dormitory fire stairwells to generate echo off the hard walls and floors. I'm sure everyone has done that.

Those eyes are pretty hard to take when they're staring' back at you.

Scared you'll run out of time.

The only solution....Keep on Pluckin"!!!

Amen brother, amen. You don't know how true that is for me right now.

1978 The band was "Teaser" with me playing my Gibson Ripper bass - can't even see my left hand I was SO FAST!! :)

4a436b9e4f1039f91631a2700d43784cfaba7c52.jpg

Lots of "hair" in some of these pictures. Do you realize that having long hair in the 1960's or 70's makes your hair fall out by 2010 or so? [biggrin]

Em7, I really love this picture. The things we used to do to try to make the music sound better! In college, we used to play in the dormitory fire stairwells to generate echo off the hard walls and floors. I'm sure everyone has done that.

Oh thank you Nick – Eeehhh I look a little over-tough seen from this angle, but I guess that's needed if you want to put weight behind Maggies Farm.

And yes, those improvised echo-chambers could be found everywhere, , , showers, back-stairs, tunnels, passages. In fact the stairs to our little studio has the most beautiful reverb.

The Morris is still alive and just for fun I mailed the guy who keeps it these day. The old friend was kind enough to send this picture -

......................................................................Mid70sMorris.jpg

Archived