Gibson Brands Forums

Two hours Til showtime

Silenced Fred

Good luck, two hours till you hit the stage or leave to get stuff loaded up. I have to leave my place at 630 to go to load the stuff at singers place, hit stage at 10:30 done at 230am. Off load the stuff and head to the house get t bed at 630am and get up at 10am and walk the dogs.

Oh the life of a gigging guitarest.

Good Luck again

Had practice at 2 til 5, left at 5:30, played at 9, got off at 10, finally got something to eat afterwards (I can't the whole day before a show), have to get up at 5am for work tomorrow.

Show went well, some people really liked us. I just hate the lack of turn out from "friends". so many people say they will go, and just don't then write a facebook status about how bored they are.

This group of drunk chicks loved us, but I had to give my younger sister a ride home [crying]

Get used to it, I usually have all my friends say the same thing and usually 10% actually show up.

We got about twenty percent, but it's just like don't say you're gonna go if you aren't. Its just good to play, we are putting all the money we make towards recording. So sound clips soon-ish

Show went well, some people really liked us. I just hate the lack of turn out from "friends". so many people say they will go, and just don't then write a facebook status about how bored they are.

This group of drunk chicks loved us, but I had to give my younger sister a ride home [crying]

I hear ya with the friends deal, but remember you are trying to build a following, not friendships. Before and after shows try and limit your accessibility to people in the club or venue.... Create a bigger than life image of the band.

If people can go and see the band next door they will, rather than go to a club..... In other words practices should be kept closed with no friends or girlfriends allowed... Keep people guessing.

Be careful with the drunk girl deal, especially at a club where your gear is.... Unless you have a full time tech at shows to watch your stuff, it's a good way for your gear to grow legs.

I hear ya with the friends deal, but remember you are trying to build a following, not friendships. Before and after shows try and limit your accessibility to people in the club or venue.... Create a bigger than life image of the band.

If people can go and see the band next door they will, rather than go to a club..... In other words practices should be kept closed with no friends or girlfriends allowed... Keep people guessing.

Be careful with the drunk girl deal, especially at a club where your gear is.... Unless you have a full time tech at shows to watch your stuff, it's a good way for your gear to grow legs.

Good advice Duane.

We used to have a big drop curtain in front of the stage So people couldn't even see the gear ( or us ) until the "Show" started. We had "Intro" music and the curtain would drop when we started the show. We also didn't "socialize" before the show.

I'm not sure what the "club" scene is like these days but I know in the era that you and I were playing it was pretty much expected that you put on a "mini" concert in a club. We traveled with a 200 can light show, back drops, staging, fog, huge PA, sound man, lighting tech, stage tech, etc...

I doubt there are as many bands that do that anymore or clubs that can handle it...??? If not, it's too bad because as cheap as things are these days a band could put together a pretty cool theatrical stage performance. ( I know, it should all be about the music but it doesn't hurt to make yourself stand out)

Friends and especially Wives/Girlfriends are a definite "No" at rehearsal. It is hard enough for a band not to have conflicts with their own opinions. Girlfriends/Wives and Friends often feel compelled to add theirs into the mix which can lead to conflicts within the band.

The drunk girls also often have drunk, pissed off, current/ex boyfriends and husbands they "forget to mention". I know from experience as we had a few "incidents" when we were out playing.

Have fun Nate!!!!!

Andy

All the venues by me have decent light shows and sound and light guys.

No friends or girlfriends at practices, we always add a new song or two every show, try to entertain people. Got some new fans, it went pretty well.

Drunk chicks, Eh. They're crazy. The last band that played was 21, an they loved us. Might do a show with them later

Archived