Gibson Brands Forums

Advice & opinions please!

Hall

Ok guys. I put it here so you would see it. I am looking for a Marshall half stack at 100 watts and 4x12 cab. I was about to try out the Vintage Modern when I read it's covering is "PURPLE"! Eh, color doesn't sound like me. I've played Twins for years, Blues & Rock. Just passed on a Stangray 'cause I want the Marshall sound for my old Gibson Pauls & ES models. I really need some help here, though I'm studying, Marshall amps is my weak area of knowledge. I would sure appreciate suggestions, etc. from everybody on this one. Thanks!

Steve

what sound do you want? do you want original marshall sound (beano, hendrix) that can do modern stuff? the VM is great for that.

do you want 70s style in your face rock? try the 50w/100w SLP reissues.

do want something with all the bells and whistles? try a JVM.

what about channels? the VM is a single channel.

ease of use/ease of dialing in? the JVM has lots of knobs. the VM doesnt but is much harder to dial in IMO.

we need a lot more info from ya.

Just about to take delivery of my Vintage Modern 2466. The purple is very dark...Its not that obvious...... also getting a JCM 1936 2x12 cab.

I started a thred on this amp a week ago...Dig back a few pages and you will find it...AWSOME AMP. Just come down in price too......

Flight959

I'm not a real big fan of modern Marshalls, not even the reissue stuff.

Also, 100 watts is a lot of horsepower. Truly over kill for most venues.

If you've played blues on Twins for years, and you want a little more of a Marshall type bite with your LP, then I would go with a Reinhardt. In fact, that's what I play. They're all point to point, hand wired, with top notch components and they're about the same price as the Marshalls you're looking at.

Trust me, you owe it to yourself to play one. Hey, Mark Knopfler did and that's what he's using now.

Besides, you can pick up the phone, dial up Bob Reinhardt and tell him exactly what you want and that's what you'll get.

number_one.jpg

Thanks guys. By the way tonebias, this is part of the research. FennRX, I've been playing the guitar since 1962. I own original 63 & 64 ES-335s and a 63 Stratocaster. My Les Pauls are sixties 'cept for my R8. Among my amps, I have two original 65 Twins and a 65 Super Reverb as mainstays. I was there, before Marshalls got here. Simple as that. I have played through my Fenders for nearly 45 years, and in stereo now days. I was a member of the very first Gibson forum. So on and so on there. I mean, I've been around a bit. I played the blues style of Albert King and the rock of both the 50ies, 60ies and 70ies finally morphing into modern blues. I play clean and/or with rack and boxes. I do not play metal. So, there is a bit of info.

It's like this. When I decide to switch sound in a big way, I ask questions everywhere from these forums to my fellow muscians and engineers. I play everything there is to play. I read everything there is to read. I make notes of comparison and in the end I make a decision from all info sources. I have the studio & the money, and I just plain finally wanted a frigging Marshall for the pure heck of it. Nothing more than that. But flight959, purple! Are you getting the 50 watt head? I'll see them next week. I thought the Vintage Modern series was the one. LPC, I'm looking into Reinhardts and the new Hiwatts. As I said, I passed on the Stangray, just not my sound. I hoped all you Les Paul men would be a good source for multiple player opinions as I begin the research. I try to stay a bit active here. Reason for the post!

Again, thanks FennRx, flight959, and LPC. Your thoughts are appreciated. I will keep your thoughts in mind as I look into the Marshall idea. I am beginning to think I am probably as well off as needed with my "ancient" rig anyway, as I do the research so pointedly suggested by tonebias. Thanks for the site tonebias.

Steve

Hi, Hg

Yes iam getting the 50Watt version the 2266. Its the same as the 2466 but has 2 valves instead of 4. The exterior looks the same. I didnt go for the 100watts.....Its too much....The old lady next door is a ripe old age of 97.....Wouldn't want to be responsable for a sudden death...Dont need 100watts as I cant gig as I work too much..

Flight959

http://www.splawnguitars.com/amps08.htm

Nuff Said. Do the research!

Definitely not for everyone. A good friend of mine had Splawn modify his 50 watt Marshall reissue. He has since yanked out all the Splawn components and gone to a standard plexi turret board which he likes much better. But if you want a screamin' high gain monster Splwan can build it.

I have a TSL 60 head, I play Weezer, Green Day type stuff. For me it sounds great.

60 watts is more that enough to get over the drums, in fact I personally like the smaller wattage

so that I have to turn up louder and get more of the Marshall Sound. Only issue i really have is that

the footswitch is crap, way too many people have the switches fail on them.

Jason

Surfpup & Fixr1984:

Thanks guys. I just want to hear from guitar players before I go out next week. All my guys don't want me to budge from my current sound. Nothing wrong with my two petrified Twins in stereo at #4 and a couple of pedals. I'll be keeping my present rig and other amps. I never sell anything. Might not be that easy to beat my current sound anyway. I just have GAS for that classic Marshall gain, even if I keep it in my studio like some old troll! The 50 watt head probably is plenty. Twins are 85 and can not be made dirty before the roof comes down without the use of a Screamer or an old Rat. The Super has gain, but is still Fender sound. I want a Marshall, plain and simple, if the right one is out there. I'm looking straight factory, no mods. Again, appreciate the input.

Steve

LPC:

As I said, I never sell anything. I still have my Melody Maker & Gibson Skylark from 1960 (I believe without digging them out to check). As I said I have played Twins and a Super for nearly 45 years. Just got a Marshall urge and room for it. Plenty of models at a used speciality shop here, but they all are very high milage and the place is mildew alley. The owner wants me to come back and talk to him. Says he will do what it takes to retro fit my choice. He does have inventory if nothing else! But, when it comes to pretty big buck amps such as Marshalls, if I don't know the history, then I want a new one. Stuck in the middle! By the way, been over to your office, very nice. Thanks!

Steve

People diss the JCM900 but I played a 4100 (100 watt) half stack for nearly a decade with zero problems. It had a brilliant idea, a pair of (500ma) fuses that would blow if a tube went down, stopping any other problems. And it worked, several times, for me.

Mine had EL34's and the 1960A cab. I used it on the DOUBLE AUGHT cd (cdbaby.com) and, believe it or not, played MANY Country/Country rock gigs with this rig. I fell in love with the Fender Prosonic and swapped my beat up 1/2 stack for a mint '96 Prosonic combo.

I just don't like closed back cabs for bar gigs, and that's all I do, and am now using a Mesa Blue Angel 1;12 combo with a V30, miked, with my NEW ES-339.

And, if I may.... I just don't like amps with pre/post gain anymore. Or clipping diodes. They sound fizzy to me. I prefer a smaller wattage amp I can crank for "tube" distortion, then back off my attack to clean it up. The Prosonic has a cascading gain channel, but it also has a "CLEAN" channel that you can crank the 60 watts, or 30 in Class A.

I think, if I was gonna buy a Marshall head, it would be the JTM45. And crank it.

Best of luck, Steve.

Murph.

Archived