Gibson Brands Forums

LP Standard 2008 Professional Premium Finish

nitefly

Hi All,

I am currently in the market to purchase my 1st Gibson Guitar and have identified a number of resellers in my area - all have a limited stock (1 to 2) LP 08 Standards available. In short my choice is limited and in reading other posts the general advice is to check out as many as one can before deciding on the one that feels/looks right. So far I have visited one store and they had a Cherry Burst. However, after close inspection I could see very fine hair line scratches on the back of the body. In addition, the top did not really appear to have the same colour affect as some other cherry bursts I have seen on-line.

I have a couple of questions and I would be grateful of some help.

Firstly, is it true that the burst/colour can vary i.e. some have more of a solid cherry affect towards the edges whilst others may have more burst in the centre that ripples through the cherry at the edges? Hope that makes sense.

Secondly, I spoke to a dealer today who has a Gibson Les Paul Standard 08 Professional Premium finish. He told me that it is a higher grade version of the standard 08 model. I have searched on-line and cannot find any reference to a Standard Professional model. Are there 2 distinct standard models i.e. pro and just standard? If so, what is the difference?

Many thanks!

Bursts can vary. They are painted by people, not machines, which is a good thing. Just gotta find the one that pleases you the most, but don't let looks be your only deciding factor.

The dealer may be talking about the Traditional Pro, which is basically a Standard, just made to more traditional specs. as opposed to the newer Standard specs.

Bursts can vary. They are painted by people, not machines, which is a good thing. Just gotta find the one that pleases you the most, but don't let looks be your only deciding factor.

The dealer may be talking about the Traditional Pro, which is basically a Standard, just made to more traditional specs. as opposed to the newer Standard specs.

Many thanks!

yes each gibson is practically unique.

if you get a chance try out the traditional as well as the '08 standards.

the light scratches are nearly always showroom scars from other people trying them out. if you do fall in love with one that has showroom light scratches try to negotiate on price with the dealer they normally make a deal then buy Maguires Fender guitar polish that will help sort them out

yes each gibson is practically unique.

if you get a chance try out the traditional as well as the '08 standards.

the light scratches are nearly always showroom scars from other people trying them out. if you do fall in love with one that has showroom light scratches try to negotiate on price with the dealer they normally make a deal then buy Maguires Fender guitar polish that will help sort them out

Many thanks Angellus! The traditional is an equally awesome guitar. Although, I ended up getting an 08 standard in Desert Burst yesterday morning. I have seen a couple of DBs but was more interested in other colours (ice tea, light burst or cherry), however, this one really grabbed me as soon as I saw it! After 10 minutes of playing it I knew it was the one for me. What a guitar! I'm really stoked! Mission complete. :)

Many thanks Angellus! The traditional is an equally awesome guitar. Although, I ended up getting an 08 standard in Desert Burst yesterday morning. I have seen a couple of DBs but was more interested in other colours (ice tea, light burst or cherry), however, this one really grabbed me as soon as I saw it! After 10 minutes of playing it I knew it was the one for me. What a guitar! I'm really stoked! Mission complete. :)

Congratulations and enjoy.

The tone and feel of the 08 Standard is just obout perfect in my opinion. [thumbup]

Congrats on the purchase! 2008 was the last year they made a AAA finish, which is called a Premium Plus. I have one of the last ones made. That may be the guitar your dealer is talking about. I've seen some AA's that can pass for a AAA. Please post some pictures. Do you have a COA? One way to tell is that the letters LPPP (Les Paul Premium Plus) should be written on the bridge pickup cavity, like this.

Les-Paul-lppp.jpg

Here is mine...

lp_hcbfc1.jpg

Congrats on the purchase! 2008 was the last year they made a AAA finish, which is called a Premium Plus. I have one of the last ones made. That may be the guitar your dealer is talking about. I've seen some AA's that can pass for a AAA. Please post some pictures. Do you have a COA? One way to tell is that the letters LPPP (Les Paul Premium Plus) should be written on the bridge pickup cavity, like this.

Les-Paul-lppp.jpg

Here is mine...

lp_hcbfc1.jpg

Many thanks for the reply! Your LP is awesome!! [thumbup]

Hmmm ... I am not sure if mine is AAA grade mohogany. I don't appear to have received a COA. The only paper items in the case are the Gibson owners manual and a Quality Check List, which has a date of 11/22/10 written on it and the model and serial no. The model number says LPSTD+DB CH1. Either way I couldn't be happier!

BTW You have an impressive collection of guitars. I am have to ask, which is your favourite?

Pics as requested:

That's sweet looking! I love Desert Bursts. Congrats again on a fine purchase.

I really can't say that I have a favorite. My first Gibson was the Sonex, which is the cheapest one I own. That's always been my true love because it went through more gigs with me than I can count. But I love them all.

Many thanks for the reply! Your LP is awesome!! [thumbup]

Hmmm ... I am not sure if mine is AAA grade mohogany. I don't appear to have received a COA. The only paper items in the case are the Gibson owners manual and a Quality Check List, which has a date of 11/22/10 written on it and the model and serial no. The model number says LPSTD+DB CH1. Either way I couldn't be happier!

BTW You have an impressive collection of guitars. I am have to ask, which is your favourite?

Pics as requested:

that is one of the most beautiful desert bursts I've ever seen.. 'scuse me while I go change my shorts... they're sticky now. :P

Archived