Gibson Brands Forums

Mini Buckers

bigneil

It can be done as mentioned above, but you need an adapter ring, if you just buy a mount for a regular mini it will fall into the humbucker hole (mini mounts are too small outside dimension), and a humbucker mount has a pup hole too large for a mini - hope that all makes sense.

So now the problem is where to get a mount that's humbucker sized outside with a hole cut for a mini - I only see one guy on ebay that sells an adapter ring, but it' just that - a flat ring (humbucker sized outside and mini sized inside), so you might as well make one if you want to go that route.

There are other solutions but it's a headache, hope you make out alright.

So now the problem is where to get a mount that's humbucker sized outside with a hole cut for a mini - I only see one guy on ebay that sells an adapter ring

That's exactly what was mentioned above, the search shows many sources for these adapter rings.

It can be done as mentioned above, but you need an adapter ring, if you just buy a mount for a regular mini it will fall into the humbucker hole (mini mounts are too small outside dimension), and a humbucker mount has a pup hole too large for a mini - hope that all makes sense.

So now the problem is where to get a mount that's humbucker sized outside with a hole cut for a mini - I only see one guy on ebay that sells an adapter ring, but it' just that - a flat ring (humbucker sized outside and mini sized inside), so you might as well make one if you want to go that route.

There are other solutions but it's a headache, hope you make out alright.

It doesn.t really matter that they are flat because they can be sat on top of the original mounting ring. I have been GASSING for a gold top with mini Humbuckers on a budget. My plan is to pick up a reasonably priced goldtop with either Humbuckers or P90's and retrofit the Minis.

I want a P90 guitar too, but thats a different story.

That's exactly what was mentioned above, the search shows many sources for these adapter rings.

I guess my point was that if you look closely I believe the search only showed one type of item that would work, granted it was available in two colors and in numerous sales - but they're all by the same guy.

It's flat adapter "ring", they work but IMO don't look great by themselves or when used with a regular humbucker mount - it looks patched to me. The rest of the sales were either humbucker mounts or mini humbucker mounts - neither of which will work with minis for the reasons I mentioned.

The best and most seamless look is achieved IMO by using regular humbucker mounts (bought without pup holes cut)cutting/drilling them out for mini's.

This is an issue that's been around a long time, over the years different options have been available from different manufacturers (some of which are gone now), but above are the options available to us today.

It doesn.t really matter that they are flat because they can be sat on top of the original mounting ring. I have been GASSING for a gold top with mini Humbuckers on a budget. My plan is to pick up a reasonably priced goldtop with either Humbuckers or P90's and retrofit the Minis.

I want a P90 guitar too, but thats a different story.

I think that mini's fit in the same hole as a p90. Or maybe just some mini's & some p90s.Seems like the SD's are that way.

some additional info which might be helpful:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/ProductSpotlight/RepairAndRestoration/Tech%20Tips/Pickup%20Replacement/

Kind regards,

Stijn

Cheers [thumbup] All info is welcome. I Think i have found the guitar i'm going to use as a modding platform, It is a double cutaway goldtop currently with P90's which sould make fitting in Mini humbuckers a little easier than trying to adapt one that comes with full size humbuckers. All i need now is Some spare money [-o< and the project can begin.

I Think i have found the guitar i'm going to use as a modding platform, It is a double cutaway goldtop currently with P90's which sould make fitting in Mini humbuckers a little easier than trying to adapt one that comes with full size humbuckers...

The Gibson Les Paul Deluxe was actually a Les Paul originally fitted for P-90s. In order to fit the mini-buckers in the P-90 route, they took a P-90 cover and cut a hole in the top like this:

PC-0747-028-2.jpg

As long as it's a standard Gibson sized mini, it will fit in the ring and the ring will drop in to a typical P-90 route.

You could also use a Firebird mini with the chrome ring, it worked great for Neil Young. A mini humbucker is designed like a miniaturized PAF, but the Firebird pickups are a totally different design.

That looks so nice, makes me wanna change out the pups on my Sherry. So, what did you use for pup rings? Or, is that an Elitiist?

Hi JC

The pickup rings I ordered on e-bay thanks to this thread $20, link to the seller above.

It is a bog standard 1987 Korean Sheraton other mods: A1 harness those SD 60's minis, bone nut, a set of 18:1 Grover locking tuners, Gibson knobs and pointers.

I chose not to place the pickup rings on top of the of the original full bucker pickup rings.

I chose to fit the new rings straight to the body of the Sheraton and let the mini protrude like they do on a Firebird.

Just thought I would thank you guys by showing a photo of the finished job.

Works for me, might not be the solution for purists.

But I am very happy with the result, added bonus if I want to ever go back to full buckers it is as simple as unscrewing those two mini plates and just fitting the original full bucker pickup rings.

Archived