Gibson Brands Forums

Best essential pedal for Epi Dot under $100?

rbachman

Rbachman,

What kind of effect or sound you lookin' for?

"Just wondering."

Actually I'm not much of a pedal guy.

I do have a Boss blues driver I'm kind of fond of.

I also like a "good time" delay unit.,,or a good "time delay" unit. Again, mine's a Boss so, it's pretty basic.

A good tuner is always a plus.

Willy

I have playing it with a Blues Driver and Wasabi pedal that I borrowed from other guys in my group. Looking for a keeper to own. I play rock from 60's - 70's mostly !!!

a "good time" delay unit.,,or a good "time delay" unit
.... what would be one of those?

I play rock from 60's - 70's mostly !!!

Don't know if you were there or not but, I was.

If you were there then you know that we really didn't have much in the way of pedals.

Distortion, Echo-Plex (maybe) Phase shifters were something new. Wah-wah pedals were a big deal. Flangers were a very special step up from the phase shifter! If you had both, you were hot sh*t!

Most things were the amp and the guitar.

Willy

Check out the Danelectro Cool Cat Pedals,for about $50 each they offer great bang for the buck.The cool Cat Vibe and Chorus can replicate the rotary speaker/Univibe type effect pretty good and are just bullet proof.The Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive is just about one of the beston the market-absolutely superb.Their fuzz,distortion and tremolo pedals are among the best on the market.Also look into Electro Harmonix pedals like the Big Muff and the Little Muff etc. and check out their delay reverb pedals besides being fairly cheap and sounding great they are very,very sturdy-I'm still using the Big Muff Pi I bought in 1970.

To my mind, the dot sounds beautiful with a nice warm drive sound. If you're not getting that through the amp then I'd back up the blues driver that you've been borrowing, or maybe even a Boss OD-3. If you are using a channel switcher on your amp, are you soloing? If so a Tube Screamer can go a very long way!

For delays, I think that the Line6 Echo Park pedal is pretty underrated, but you can a Marshall echohead carries a bit more weight if you're interested in the history!

(Dan @ Music Junkie)

Archived