Gibson Brands Forums

GAS For Something Else

neilpanda

I just love my 335 so much! But I just really dont like the over-sized epi headstock.

Along with ne neck being a little too big for my liking. So Im wondering if any of you

guys know of any luthiers of people who can build custom necks. I already have contacted

one that I have had experience with before, but Im just wondering if you know of anyone

who can do the job. I really have no set price, but it would be nice to get a deal!

Beast [biggrin]

You won't need a new neck if it's too big that's always easier than too small on a neck since it's a fairly easy process to sand it down yourself. You can make a pattern from a neck you really like to help you keep it even and than just sand it to shape. It's a Epiphone so your don't have a ton of money at risk anyway so just be careful keep it even and measure often, since it's a hell of a lot easier to make it smaller than to need to replace it in a larger size.

Having a new custom neck made and installed would probably cost at least two or even three times more than the guitar is worth.

You won't need a new neck if it's too big that's always easier than too small on a neck since it's a fairly easy process to sand it down yourself. You can make a pattern from a neck you really like to help you keep it even and than just sand it to shape. It's a Epiphone so your don't have a ton of money at risk anyway so just be careful keep it even and measure often, since it's a hell of a lot easier to make it smaller than to need to replace it in a larger size.

Having a new custom neck made and installed would probably cost at least two or even three times more than the guitar is worth.

You know how difficult and risky it is to replace a set in neck? And as Retro stated it'd be two or three time's what the guitar is originally worth...Sanding it down is actually a pretty great idea...

It's an Epi, not a maestro or first act. By all means, do some neck sanding, but don't start hacking it up. If you absolutely can't stand the headstock shape, sell it and get a Gibson. It may not be worth as much as a Gibson, but it ain't worthless.

Archived