Gibson Brands Forums

Kid playing Crazy Train ( Why didn't I get Strap locks?)

joeyultra

Recently my 12 yr. old son played at a student showcase with the Jackson RR5FR that I snagged on MF's SDOTD for his birthday. Never did I realize that if you don't roll the strap up front it can and will fall off, but it never did before.:shock:

I saw him recover and continue to play the majority of the song on his knee while having to change the pedal board with his hand, I anticipated the worst...

but he only focused more and I think nailed it.:dude:

He played with two other kids, one who was never played in front of people before and after a nervous start, they got right into the mix. They only had one rehearsal of about 45 minutes the night before.

Check it out.

YouTube - ‪TheVinman99's Channel‬‏

Very professional, the show must go on eh, you should try the washers from Grotsch bottles, stretch it over the button once the strap is in place, they work pretty good and cost next to nothing.

Its not the strap locks fault... the V's bottom strap lock is on the inside of the left leg, if you watch he plays in a very high position with his leg pushed into the point where the lock would be [-X

So it was gonna happen sooner or later, with my V I noticed that straight off and abandoned the straplok option...

I surgest these as an alternative

DunlopErgoStrapLock.jpg

Its not the strap locks fault... the V's bottom strap lock is on the inside of the left leg, if you watch he plays in a very high position with his leg pushed into the point where the lock would be [-X

So it was gonna happen sooner or later, with my V I noticed that straight off and abandoned the straplok option...

I surgest these as an alternative

DunlopErgoStrapLock.jpg

That's why I like the Schaller strap-locks so much. You can push on 'em all you want and nothing's gonna happen (you have to pull the pin OUT to get it to release).

Anyway I'd say the kid handled it with a great deal of aplomb. Nearly dropping an axe is enough to shake up even a seasoned vet let alone a 12 year old. Bravo!

Jim

That's why I like the Schaller strap-locks so much. You can push on 'em all you want and nothing's gonna happen (you have to pull the pin OUT to get it to release).

Anyway I'd say the kid handled it with a great deal of aplomb. Nearly dropping an axe is enough to shake up even a seasoned vet let alone a 12 year old. Bravo!

Jim

+1 for incorporating the word "aplomb" in a forum post.

+1 for incorporating the word "aplomb" in a forum post.

Proving again that I command a great deal of linguistic legerdemain and adroitness ... not to mention an A$$-LOAD of savoir faire!

Jim (I'm too sexy for my thesaurus!)

Thanks for the comments. The strap actually came off the top peg. If you don't roll the strap so the design is against the guitar body, the strap hole partially flexes open and "will" come off when you move. I should have checked it before he went on-stage but I was probably more nervous than he was. Will put Schallers on this on just like the Ultra and '66 G-400.

Sounded pretty tight for a bunch of kids who only practiced under an hour. Adroid? Last time I saw that word in context was in an Old West Book by Time/Life where they talked about the Indian outlaw Ned Christie and how he "wielded his Winchester 'adroitly". Jim, you linguistic Frankenstein you...dry.gif

That is pretty slick of him. I don't think I would had the presence of mind to not miss a beat if my guitar suddenly dropped, and you would have seen me stop to put the guitar back on!

Kudos to the other 2 as well: for ALL of them, when the drummer gets a little lost, it is hard to recover as well, and they all do.

GREAT PERFORMACE BY ALL!!

Archived