Gibson Brands Forums

Is this Hummingbird Overpriced?

adamjs69

I've been looking for a good used bird for a while and noticed that my local shop currently has a 1990 model listed on their website. However, after searching eBay, Gbase and the internet in general, their asking price of $3195 seems high to me. I am going to go look at it in person next week but would like to get an idea of the true value of this guitar before I go so that I don't make a stupid impulse purchase. They only list one picture and the description simply says, "Excellent condition, few minor scratches under pickguard, w/ hard case". Everything I can find on it tells me that it should sell for around 2K, more or less. Can any of you guys tell me anything about it just by looking at it? Is this a special year that is highly desireable or did they have a special model in 1990? If anyone can school me on what I'm missing I would greatly appreciate it. Knowledge is power, you know... ;) Thanks in advance.

post-29684-091853600 1309045336_thumb.jpg

I've been looking for a good used bird for a while and noticed that my local shop currently has a 1990 model listed on their website. However, after searching eBay, Gbase and the internet in general, their asking price of $3195 seems high to me. I am going to go look at it in person next week but would like to get an idea of the true value of this guitar before I go so that I don't make a stupid impulse purchase. They only list one picture and the description simply says, "Excellent condition, few minor scratches under pickguard, w/ hard case". Everything I can find on it tells me that it should sell for around 2K, more or less. Can any of you guys tell me anything about it just by looking at it? Is this a special year that is highly desireable or did they have a special model in 1990? If anyone can school me on what I'm missing I would greatly appreciate it. Knowledge is power, you know... ;) Thanks in advance.

These early Bozeman guitars were primarily hand made and are definitely worth owning. However, the price is very high in my opinion. Somewhat a little under 2K is about right.

Man I would say try to get a lower price if you can.

and inspect it closely and if you find no structural flaw BUY IT !!!

it looks beautiful .

I just paid 5 k for a custom shop that looks like that one !!

Juanshbird002.jpg

I've been looking for a good used bird for a while and noticed that my local shop currently has a 1990 model listed on their website. However, after searching eBay, Gbase and the internet in general, their asking price of $3195 seems high to me.

I'm no 'bird expert but this seems seriously overpriced. How do they justify the price?

I'm no 'bird expert but this seems seriously overpriced. How do they justify the price?

That's what I'm trying to find out. Seemed about $1200 too high to me, but want other opinions in case I'm missing something. I'm wondering if the tuners would be original for that model and I also noticed that there's no visable label that I can see in the photo...???

That's what I'm trying to find out. Seemed about $1200 too high to me, but want other opinions in case I'm missing something. I'm wondering if the tuners would be original for that model and I also noticed that there's no visable label that I can see in the photo...???

Yeah man you should ask for a better price . I checked and at that price it's just too high.

and I agree with the other post. Ask how they justfy the price. MAybe it could be soundwise.

Yeah man you should ask for a better price . I checked and at that price it's just too high.

and I agree with the other post. Ask how they justfy the price. MAybe it could be soundwise.

Do you think I'm correct in thinking it should be in the $1900-$2100 range (unless of course there is something special about it that we're all missing)? Higher? Lower?

Do you think I'm correct in thinking it should be in the $1900-$2100 range (unless of course there is something special about it that we're all missing)? Higher? Lower?

2100 should be ok , but if the build quality and the sound are unique

than you might want to even be willing to go 2500 . but that is just my opion . You've got the cash so it's your call .

but 2100 sounds fair man .

We all make our own choices, and it is likely a very nice guitar. But, for 3100, you can buy a brand new one and build your own mojo into it. I have noting against "used" instruments (except maybe harmonicas...I'd rather swallow my own spit), but that's a lot of money for a used Hummingbird....Yet, if you've got the bucks and feel it is a good deal, then it certainly is your call. Just take a good, hard look at it before you spend the cash.

Seems signficantly overpriced on first impressions. The ONLY thing that I can imagine that can be used to justify this price is that as pointed our earlier it would be one of the very early Bozeman made HB's, where they were all hand made. Combined with 20 years of play in time and perfect condidtion it could be their argument for it.

I however wouldnt pay that much unless it was sensational and fixated with it ..... which pretty much was the case when I came across my 69' CW, the price was around 3k but in my mind it was worth it. 18 months after the purchase and I still can justify the purchase easily.

That is a beautiful Bird. Your local shop may have this on consignment. It would not be unreasonable to offer another price that you are willing to pay. Go in with cash in your hand so that they know you are a serious buyer and start at what you feel is the bottom and negotiate to your top dollar.

As in all things we buy, it does not matter what the rest of the world thinks the value is on an item. True value is determined by the buyer. You may want to make your offer, give them a time line that your offer is good for and be patient.

Adam, it is very easy when suffering from GAS - to take a fistfull of dollars and get fixated on a guitar. It would be hard for me to justify this price on a non-vintage guitar. 20 years isn't that old for Gibsons. You might be able to find an original from the '60s for close to that price.

Like you, I set my sites on an H'bird and after a short while was able to find a TV on the Guitar Center site. It is a 2010 model in perfect condition. It was purchased by an individual who buys 2 or 3 new guitars a year, may keep one - and then trades in the ones he doesn't want to try out a new one. Apparently he liked the case though and kept that. When I got it ($2,600), GC did throw in a new TKL case and the Gibson still had (has) that new guitar smell. Although I've only had it a couple of months, it sounds better every time I pick it up. I personally can't believe that this guitar could sound good enough to justify the asking price. I think we each have different 'ears'. Our ears are slightly different physically and hear different ranghes differently. So, the same guitar may sound different to you than to me. Beauty is in the ear of the beholder. I'd ask for more info and pix before making the trip. Suspicious they aren't trying to market it by explaining why they've priced it so high. I don't think it's worth an extra $2K, and that's my two cents. (But for you, three cents!)

Thanks for all the replies. I'll go check it out early this week. The shop is only about 30 minutes from my house and I'll take a couple of grand cash with me and see what happens. I'll post back with the results.

Archived