Gibson Brands Forums

SG Classic long term storage

atj13

Can anyone advise me please, currently the SG classic is available in very limited numbers probably for a very limited time in our country ( I am led to believe). I have considered purchasing one and then storing until a certain person is in the position to pay for this guitar which will be upwards of 2-4 years purely to avoid missing out on ownership.I am aware that humidity is the biggest issue here, this is not too much of an issue where we reside if steps are taken to manage this, also tuning the strings down a step is also advised.Should it be removed from its case periodically at all to allow it to "breathe" as it were? All opinions either way would be appreciated,

thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I havnt done this so take it as you will.

The biggest problems you face with long term storage are temperature fluctuations. You can avoid that by keeping your guiatar in a case in a place that is protected from extreemes of temperature. A cellar is a good place as long as your boiler for your heating system isnt down there and too close to the guitar!

The next issue is humidity levels. Too humid and mildew/mould becomes an issue. Too dry and the wood will dry out and crack. That is harder to control but there are products available to cigar smokers that will preserve specific humidity levels and control mould.

The other alternative is NOT to put it into long term storage at all. Just because you dont play it doesnt mean you cant take it out of its case to let it breath once a month , give it a wipe over, tune it up and check it, then put it back away. that way you will spot any problems before they get out of hand.

Ok, I havnt done this so take it as you will.

The biggest problems you face with long term storage are temperature fluctuations. You can avoid that by keeping your guiatar in a case in a place that is protected from extreemes of temperature. A cellar is a good place as long as your boiler for your heating system isnt down there and too close to the guitar!

The next issue is humidity levels. Too humid and mildew/mould becomes an issue. Too dry and the wood will dry out and crack. That is harder to control but there are products available to cigar smokers that will preserve specific humidity levels and control mould.

The other alternative is NOT to put it into long term storage at all. Just because you dont play it doesnt mean you cant take it out of its case to let it breath once a month , give it a wipe over, tune it up and check it, then put it back away. that way you will spot any problems before they get out of hand.

Ideally I'd say your suggestions of NOT putting a guitar into long term storage are the best thing. Difficult to do if you have a large collection, but for most people who only have up to a dozen guitars at a time at the most; it's the best way in my opinion. Someone who is wealthy enough to afford to own a collection that is much larger, like Slash or Steve Howe for example, probably wouldn't have the time to go about doing this with most of their guitars, but could also afford to properly do long term storage in a temperature and humidity controlled facility.

Can anyone advise me please, currently the SG classic is available in very limited numbers probably for a very limited time in our country ( I am led to believe). I have considered purchasing one and then storing until a certain person is in the position to pay for this guitar which will be upwards of 2-4 years purely to avoid missing out on ownership.I am aware that humidity is the biggest issue here, this is not too much of an issue where we reside if steps are taken to manage this, also tuning the strings down a step is also advised.Should it be removed from its case periodically at all to allow it to "breathe" as it were? All opinions either way would be appreciated,

thanks,

The biggest issues are not the absolute values of temperature and humidity, but the changes in them. The SG has a solid mahogany body and a mahogany neck, which makes it inherently dimensionally stable. The expansion and contraction of wood are what cause cracks in a nitrocellulose finish over time.

Storing this guitar for several years in a reasonably stable environment, with the string tension backed off a full step, should not cause any problems. Certainly, taking the guitar out to "air" periodically--and leaving the case open so it can air out as well (but not in a dusty environment)--would be a good idea.

Don't know where you live, so it's hard to comment on the particular environmental issues.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks,

I will say what I would say to anyone doing that...SHAME ON YOU! guitars are meant to be played not bought and stored for profit. Where's your love of music and your gear? I am flabbergasted! [confused]

I will say what I would say to anyone doing that...SHAME ON YOU! guitars are meant to be played not bought and stored for profit. Where's your love of music and your gear? I am flabbergasted! [confused]

It would appear to me that you have only read my post with one one eye open perhaps? I am a little offended to be perfectly honest by your reply, no where in my post do I mention selling this guitar on at a later time for profit as the intention (if you had read the post properly) is to secure this guitar (we dont get the same access to Gibson models in NZ as the US or other larger markets) for my son and store it until he can afford to pay me what is cost, no more. I am hoping that you may have been confused by the profile pic, this is my son and to be honest he is not into the social networking scene but loves guitars and anything associated with music. I never learned to play and probably dont have the patience or intellect to learn now, I do however love guitars and would like to see him progress as far as he can. The SG classic is really all our favourite features rolled into one and I am simply trying to find a way to secure ownership for him of this beautiful instrument in the future, we missed out on a brand new SG GT in Daytona blue last year at a very good price and I will never forgive myself for letting this one go. I dont make a lot of money and as he is still only 15 and busy with school studies he does not have a job himself. I trust that this may clarify my position somewhat.

It would appear to me that you have only read my post with one one eye open perhaps? I am a little offended to be perfectly honest by your reply, no where in my post do I mention selling this guitar on at a later time for profit as the intention (if you had read the post properly) is to secure this guitar (we dont get the same access to Gibson models in NZ as the US or other larger markets) for my son and store it until he can afford to pay me what is cost, no more. I am hoping that you may have been confused by the profile pic, this is my son and to be honest he is not into the social networking scene but loves guitars and anything associated with music. I never learned to play and probably dont have the patience or intellect to learn now, I do however love guitars and would like to see him progress as far as he can. The SG classic is really all our favourite features rolled into one and I am simply trying to find a way to secure ownership for him of this beautiful instrument in the future, we missed out on a brand new SG GT in Daytona blue last year at a very good price and I will never forgive myself for letting this one go. I dont make a lot of money and as he is still only 15 and busy with school studies he does not have a job himself. I trust that this may clarify my position somewhat.

Ya I may have over looked that, sorry...but he's your kid he's 15 and a perfect time to be learning on a quality instrument, and your going to store it away? Wow that's harsh. Reminds me of a friend I knew, his great-grandfather was co-founder of the famous John Deere tractor company, anyways his great-grandfather left 70 million to my friend, problem was, he couldn't get to it till he was 70!!! Unfortunately my friend died at the age of 54, he never got any of it. As for being offended.. I'm glad there is no law against being offended...because I'm offended every day. It's not like this guitar is going to go up in price or be some collectors item any time soon...I'm also reminded again of the TV Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer special, where the ruler of the "island of misfit toys" tells Rudolph and his friends that a toy is never truly happy unless it is loved by a child.....and I reprise..."a guitar is never truly happy unless it is loved and played"...not stored away risking any kind of problem that may arise such as neck warp-age or dry rot, not to mention having been a teenager.. I seriously doubt I would be able to not search for that guitar and find it and play it when pop wasn't looking. [biggrin]

Ya I may have over looked that, sorry...but he's your kid he's 15 and a perfect time to be learning on a quality instrument, and your going to store it away? Wow that's harsh. Reminds me of a friend I knew, his great-grandfather was co-founder of the famous John Deere tractor company, anyways his great-grandfather left 70 million to my friend, problem was, he couldn't get to it till he was 70!!! Unfortunately my friend died at the age of 54, he never got any of it. As for being offended.. I'm glad there is no law against being offended...because I'm offended every day. It's not like this guitar is going to go up in price or be some collectors item any time soon...I'm also reminded again of the TV Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer special, where the ruler of the "island of misfit toys" tells Rudolph and his friends that a toy is never truly happy unless it is loved by a child.....and I reprise..."a guitar is never truly happy unless it is loved and played"...not stored away risking any kind of problem that may arise such as neck warp-age or dry rot, not to mention having been a teenager.. I seriously doubt I would be able to not search for that guitar and find it and play it when pop wasn't looking. [biggrin]

Yes hello again, I have got over my bad mood now (almost) and I really must apologise if I came across a bit (or a lot) precious.If I had my way I would buy the thing and give it to him tomorrow and completely agree with you re shutting things away. He does have a Gibson LP junior which he purchased himself just prior to Christmas so he does have a quality instrument which he can and does appreciate.We have had an interesting year here so far with earthquakes destroying a great deal of our city so the phrase "you cant take it with you" has real meaning to us now. I am waiting for my local store (who are in the process of fitting out their new store after the original was destroyed in the quake) to come back to me with a price for the SG. The main sticking points are:

A. My wife

B. Fear of spoiling the boy, I want him to have to work for things that he wants rather than just have them given to him which I am sure you can appreciate. Anyways, I hope that we are still on speaking terms and if not I take responsibility for that.

Thanks again,

will let you know what happens re the SG.

ATJ13:

You sound like a good guy and a good dad.

If I may offer some thoughts, while I think teaching a kid to work and earn things he wants is good, there is something else that seriously lacks in people of today. That is generosity, and doing for others. Having earned and paid for a guitar for himself, he obviously knows how to do that, but children grow up to do as their fathers and heroes do, not as they say(unless the father does as he says).

If you are generous enough to buy him a guitar because of love, THAT is what he will learn to do as he grows up.

I see also you are a wise man, because a wise man listens to his wife. If she is right, and you know it, what can you do? But, if you know you are right, and she is also the recipient of your goodness, the whole family wins.

I digress, these are just thoughts. I really have no idea what is what with your family. I am quite sure you know what is best for your family much better than I do, and if you said I was wrong I would believe you.

I am glad to see such good from people here on a guitar forum.

OK just because someone is given something does not mean they have no clue on fiscal responsibility, This is all assumption and preemptive measures. Try instilling good moral values as opposed to guessing where he will end up, plus why think the worst..unless this child has proven to be as you described, then let him buy his own, my father didn't buy me a new guitar and hold it for me till I could pay for it so I could have a certain model, i was a good kid, and I got over not having that one guitar. I'd have to say all this is in your head. Wouldn't it be ironic if you did buy this guitar, and he didn't want it after all? or outgrew your expectations...I used to play Ibanez.. guess what.. I can't stand them now. This could all be for naught. Just a thought.

OK just because someone is given something does not mean they have no clue on fiscal responsibility, This is all assumption and preemptive measures. Try instilling good moral values as opposed to guessing where he will end up, plus why think the worst..unless this child has proven to be as you described, then let him buy his own, my father didn't buy me a new guitar and hold it for me till I could pay for it so I could have a certain model, i was a good kid, and I got over not having that one guitar. I'd have to say all this is in your head. Wouldn't it be ironic if you did buy this guitar, and he didn't want it after all? or outgrew your expectations...I used to play Ibanez.. guess what.. I can't stand them now. This could all be for naught. Just a thought.

To be honest I am starting to lean that way.

As soon as I read your initial post, my first thought was "for his son" - maybe that's because I am a father of four sons myself, and I can see myself doing something like this.

I would NOT recommend the cellar, as one reply did. Not sure about cellars in NZ, but here in the states they tend to be damp, musty places. Likewise an attic would by dry and hot. I would suggest placing the guitar box in the back of a bedroom closet. The temp there is going to be as controlled as it is in your house, which I'm assuming is relatively stable. Certainly wouldn't hurt to get the guitar out periodically, but I don't think this is really necessary. I assume guitars at places like Sweetwater and Musician's Friend remain boxed and stored for up to a few years until they are sold. As long as temp and humidity are stable, I don't see that as any different from being in a case and being played regularly.

Good luck - I am sure your son will appreciate your forethought. And if it turns out he's not interested in guitars in 2-4 years, guess what? You'll have a sweet SG for your own collection!

~DB

Archived