Gibson Brands Forums

Pics of my ES-335

Tim Plains

I love guitar pictures!

If you want to post pics, please do so. I'd love to see your ES.

Mine's a 2007 Block Inlay. Not the historic, though.

Slim taper neck, BurstBucker Pro pickups.

I had a bad case of G.A.S. a while ago and almost traded this beauty for a '57 Les Paul reissue...glad I didn't!

I finally took some pictures that captured the guitar's colour and thought I'd share them.

ES-335002.jpg

ES-335025.jpg

ES-335010.jpg

ES-335006.jpg

ES-335013.jpg

Man, I love that top, Tim.

Is that a Nashville Bridge? Or is it backwards? I can't see the wire, but the post confuse me as well.

Still learning, but it is a beauty, for sure.

Best of luck.

Murph.

Wednesday I drove from E TX to a small town NW of San Antonio (for you non-Texans, that's 310 miles) and picked this one up. I found it on Craig's List when I was surfing on a whim, and it looked so good I had to have it (now my Epi Sheraton II is on the block...ain't no bad thing, having a Les Paul and a 335).

GibsonES-335.jpg?t=1223142886

There's a light figure in the top which isn't obvious in the pic. Otherwise it's a typical 335 RI: '57 humbuckers, nickel plate, one piece mahogany neck, Grovers and killer tone.

Almost forgot: that's a '63 Sears Silvertone Twin Twelve that I picked up in '74 for $40.

Cheers all.

lpdeluxe' date=' that's one sweet ES![/quote']

Thanks.

It's not backwards and there's no wire. ABR.

The bridge on mine has the adjustment screws and the wire toward the neck. Gibson just can't get some things right....

Seriously, I've been playing her through my Hot Rod Blues Jr NOS, and it kicks the butt of every electric I've ever played. Back in '82, I couldn't decide whether I wanted a Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gent or a 335. I went with a '63 Gent, and immediately wished I had a Gibson (Mr Atkins eventually went home with someone else at the '07 Dallas Guitar Show). I had a chance to pick up a '95 Epi Sheraton II for a song this summer as part of a trade with the local music dealer, and I thought "that'll finally scratch the itch."

Wrong.

I emailed a pic of the 335 friend the who owns a '69 ES-340. His reply: "Now you're talkin'!"

Now, I know better than to try to peddle an Epi on the Gibson forum, but it'll be going on the block, Seymour Duncans and all.

The bridge on mine has the adjustment screws and the wire toward the neck. Gibson just can't get some things right....

No, that seems right. I don't know much about ES guitars, but if ESs are anything like Les Pauls are, both of our bridges are correct.

Yours is a reissue of a 50s or 60s ES, mine is not. Reissue Les Pauls have the bridges adjustment screws and wire facing towards the neck...because it's more "historically accurate." Non-reissue, or I guess modern Les Pauls have the screws facing the other way and don't have a wire. My guess is ES guitars are the same.

No' date=' that seems right. I don't know much about ES guitars, but if ESs are anything like Les Pauls are, both of our bridges are correct.

Yours is a reissue of a 50s or 60s ES, mine is not. Reissue Les Pauls have the bridges adjustment screws and wire facing towards the neck...because it's more "historically accurate." Non-reissue, or I guess modern Les Pauls have the screws facing the other way and don't have a wire. My guess is ES guitars are the same.[/quote']

I know...my Les Paul has the screws facing the neck, also, but it's a later style of ABR-1 without the wire. They all work the same, but, since I'll be changing strings from what are on it now, I'll probably be resetting intonation, and the "backwards" bridge makes doing so a bit fiddly.

If you've not seen it, there's a video about Gibson recreating the Eric Clapton '64 Cherry 335: on that one, the neck pickup ring is mounted backwards.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4764707652331081865

And you're right about it being a reissue, which gives it the Mickey Mouse ears. My Epi Sheraton II has the later style and it's pretty obvious when they are side by side. I'm not a snob: I was looking for a blond 335 I could pretend to afford, and this one popped up after a few months of casually checking EBay (formerly the place of bargains -- now a wasteland of inflated prices and home to thieves) and Craig's List. The seller took a big hit when he sold it, and there was no need: it would have sold for much more. I did not offer to make up the difference, but I did pay the asking price.

I restrung blondie. She was dull in the bass strings, and as soon as I took a good look, I found that she was strung with flat-wounds. I just finished installing D'Addario Nickel Wound Jazz Lights (.012-0.052, wound 3rd) and she came to life.

My concerns about adjusting the intonation have been deferred, for now: with the new strings, it's spot-on according to my Sabine tuner. It may look different when I get my Peterson VSII back from my playing buddy.

I plugged her into my tweed Blues Jr, and it kept me busy, thinking of new things to play. What a sound...nothing like a good Gibson and a Fender tube amp. Practice tonight for the "Baptist Blues Band" Sunday (it'll be an all-music service, something we do every year or so, and we'll have two songs prepared in the Blind Willie McTell/Blind Willie Johnson vein); practice tomorrow night for a Saturday night "open mic" at another church. A good way to break in the new lady.

I must be getting old -- I never used to spend all this time in church.

It's probably not necessary to add that I put my Epi Sheraton up for sale yesterday.

Now' date=' I know better than to try to peddle an Epi on the Gibson forum, but it'll be going on the block, Seymour Duncans and all.[/quote']

I just cannot afford a Gibson 335 so I bought the Epi Elitist dot and it sure does play and sound sweet. My dream guitar is the Larry Carlton model 335 but at 3 grand.... that's not going to happen if I want to feed my kids.

Dadsguitars_0017.jpg

I just cannot afford a Gibson 335 so I bought the Epi Elitist dot and it sure does play and sound sweet. My dream guitar is the Larry Carlton model 335 but at 3 grand.... that's not going to happen if I want to feed my kids.

Dadsguitars_0017.jpg

That's a nice looking Sherry. The pickguard is soooo much better than stock.

Hopefully you'll fall into the same kind of bargain I found: I could never justify spending $3K on even a 335, but cut that in half (and throw in some accumulated gig money and cash squirreled away from the sale of of other axes) and it's in reach. Be alert, be patient, and pounce when necessary.

I loved my Sheraton II, but I love my 335 more. I'm not a snob -- if I hadn't found the Gibson I'd happily be playing the Epi; it's on the block mostly so I pretend I'm being financially prudent. They are nice guitars, and when you factor in the price, they are steals.

Archived