Gibson Brands Forums

Does installing a pickup decrease value?

Jwill

Hey guys, just wondering what your thoughts are on the installation of a pickup and decreasing the value of a vintage or rare guitar?

In particular I guess I mean the requirement of drilling an end pin hole, say with the use of soundboard transducers.

Yes. So does playing it. So for land sakes put that guitar away in a humidified case and store it for years and years!

Seriously, if you want to play it amplified, have a professional put a good pickup in it. If you are worried about resale value, put a pickup in that does not require an endpin jack to be installed like the LRBaggs M1. It will allow you to install it and remove it with no alterations to the guitar at all.

LRBaggs M1

LRBaggs_M1-A-Vol-Crop2.jpg

Yes. So does playing it. So for land sakes put that guitar away in a humidified case and store it for years and years!

Seriously, if you want to play it amplified, have a professional put a good pickup in it. If you are worried about resale value, put a pickup in that does not require an endpin jack to be installed like the LRBaggs M1. It will allow you to install it and remove it with no alterations to the guitar at all.

LRBaggs M1

Oh it'll definitely be played, and often, I just don't want to be going and upsetting guitar gods with modification blasphemy.

HA!

Good one Rob.

I would stay away from visible permanent changes. So I wouldn't think an end pin jack would matter - it could be plugged and a strap button installed if the jack was removed. The same for anything going inside - no major changes. A hole in the bottom of that saddle slot for UST wiring shouldn't matter either as it could be filled and not visible if a UST was removed.

Oh it'll definitely be played, and often, I just don't want to be going and upsetting guitar gods with modification blasphemy.

They you won't go wrong with the LRBaggs M1. It is a wonderful sounding pickup (in comparison to all other sound hole pickups) and as long as you don't mind the 12' cord coming out of the soundhole... it is a perfect solution.

LRBaggs M1

Doug,

I am looking for a simple kind of pickup like this M1 thing, but I know zero about soundhole pickups. Is this pickup "hot" as in "intended for a small venue so produces a lot of signal, but may howl with feedback in a band situation"?

Also, where exactly is the plug input on this thing? And is it passive or does it require a battery to power it?

Sorry so many questions. I have a couple of older guitars I would think about sticking this into if it worked suitably.

Fred

Doug,

I am looking for a simple kind of pickup like this M1 thing, but I know zero about soundhole pickups. Is this pickup "hot" as in "intended for a small venue so produces a lot of signal, but may howl with feedback in a band situation"?

Also, where exactly is the plug input on this thing? And is it passive or does it require a battery to power it?

Sorry so many questions. I have a couple of older guitars I would think about sticking this into if it worked suitably.

Fred

Take a look at the LRBaggs website Fred. There is a lot of good information there and some sound and video files as well. The M1 has two models; one active and one passive. You can install with or without an endpin jack. Without the endpin jack your cord runs from the pickup out the soundhole of the guitar to your amp or PA. Here are some notes from the website:

• Highly feedback-resistant

• Adjustable pole pieces

• A perfect blend of string and body signal

• Quiet, hum-free operation

• Built-in gold plated 1/8” jack makes moving or removing the pickup a snap

• Includes a pre-wired strapjack harness and 10’ cable for no cut installation

I've never played one (my guitars have LRBaggs active iBeams installed) but I've read a lot of good reviews of them.

LRBaggs M1

I would argue that with the right person it might enhance the value of the guitar.

Taking a look at my SJ, it came with a fishman matrix infinity UST pup already installed, however i would have installed this pickup anyway.

If somebody was going to buy a guitar and looking to plug in with it having the matrix (which is very subtle in the way it is placed and hidden) couold actually make it more appealing.

So personally, and especially on new guitars I would have no issue with it.

On vintage ones its a different story. They have a vintage 'image' which also means no intrusive pickup and I feel that way also. Hence Ive never tried to put in an USt pup inside my vintage CW, but did try it out with a Baggs M1a, unforunately I hated the tone, so the CW is now going to be a permanent recording home baby ... unless I play it through a mike at a small, low volume level pub gig, as it shines through a Shure SM57a beta that I own.

The value should not decrease depending on the pick up you use. Drilling a hole in the heel block is not a big deal. Also provided the saddle isn't glued in an under the saddle transducer would be ideal. I would stay away from any pickup that would cause you to cut a junk out of the side of the guitar. Fishman also makes some great soundhole pickups that you can also drill through the heel block for a semi-permanent install. I agree with an earlier post that said you should stay away from anything that physically alters the look of the guitar.

They you won't go wrong with the LRBaggs M1. It is a wonderful sounding pickup (in comparison to all other sound hole pickups) and as long as you don't mind the 12' cord coming out of the soundhole... it is a perfect solution.

I hate the look and feel of the cord coming out of the soundhole.....

I hate the look and feel of the cord coming out of the soundhole.....

The M1 has the option of going to an endpin jack but that defeats the purpose of a non-invasive pickup doesn't it? I've never heard of a wireless soundhole pickup. I bet that's in the planning stage for LRBaggs right now! Bluetooth guitar pickup! Woohoo!

Archived