Gibson Brands Forums

Truss Rod on Les Paul Joe Bonamassa

AlexGT

Hi

I just bought an Epiphone Les Paul Joe Bonamassa. I wanted to adjust the truss rod but while turning it counterclockwise to create a bow in the neck I feel more resistance the more I turn the screw (1/4 turn). Is that normal? It definitely added a bit more bow, but now I’m very cautious because I don’t want to damage the neck. I only know how the gibson truss rod works so I expected less resistance while turning counterclockwise.

It seems to be a dual action truss rod but in the specs of the guitar it says Epiphone traditional truss rod. Does anyone know more about this?

Best regards

Alex

Hi Alex, welcome to the forum and congrats on the Bonamassa, HNGD, there's a great bunch of geet geeks around here, hope you like it.

I don't have this model but I would expect it to be a dual action rod, they shouldn't be too difficult to turn, that said, they shouldn't be too easy either. It depends where in it's travel the rod is, if it's bearing on the inside edge (it has the neck in compression), then it will get easier as you turn it counter-clockwise, but if it's bearing on the outside edge (it's extending the neck) then it would get firmer the more you turned it ccw.

Hope this makes some sense.

+1 on Rastus's comment. It sounds like a truss rod that bends both ways, My 2009 standard LP has one, I too had an "OH Sh1t" moment when i thought the nut had run out of travel but the neck was still too straight, but if i keep loosening it, it will tighten up again and pull a bow into the neck, something like 0.3-0.5 mm of relief should be just fine.

Is there a reliable basis for the assumption that this guitar has a dual-action trussrod? I don't know the answer, but I have doubts as to the veracity of the information being proffered above.

As I prefaced in my initial post "I don't have this model but I would expect it to be a dual action rod", so I never comitted that it does have one, I then went on to explain the nuances of adjusting a dual action rod.

The website describes it as being based on a '59 blended with new and modern features, there's no reason they wouldn't use a dual action rod, it would be plainly a backward step not to.

EDIT: if adjusting a rod by turning ccw, and it's becoming firmer to do so, this would confirm it to way more than likely to be a dual action rod.

Everything specific I can find on the web about Epiphone AND Gibson trussrods states "traditional", with no mention of "dual-action", "two-way", etc..

From Gibson.com: "Gibson’s traditional truss rod, found in nearly all of our guitars...."

I wish people would check their "facts" before passing them along.

Everything specific I can find on the web about Epiphone AND Gibson trussrods states "traditional", with no mention of "dual-action", "two-way", etc..

From Gibson.com: "Gibson's traditional truss rod, found in nearly all of our guitars...."

I wish people would check their "facts" before passing them along.

I did check the site, the lack of detailed specifications is one of that site's biggest failings, and as I mentioned twice previous, I didn't at any stage say it actually had a dual action truss rod, I wish people would read posts properly before condemning them.

I respectfully suggest that it's you who needs to reread your posts. While perhaps you didn't make an unequivocal statement that the guitar had a dual-action trussrod, your statements inferred that it does. Considering that the OP was needing reliable advice, such inferences only server to misinform.

"I don't have this model but I would expect it to be a dual action rod"

"if adjusting a rod by turning ccw, and it's becoming firmer to do so, this would confirm it to way more than likely to be a dual action rod."

I respectfully suggest that it's you who needs to reread your posts. While perhaps you didn't make an unequivocal statement that the guitar had a dual-action trussrod, your statements inferred that it does. Considering that the OP was needing reliable advice, such inferences only server to misinform.

"I don't have this model but I would expect it to be a dual action rod"

"if adjusting a rod by turning ccw, and it's becoming firmer to do so, this would confirm it to way more than likely to be a dual action rod."

That's your interpretation, so be it.

If you turn a non dual action truss-rod ccw, it just becomes easier to turn, do you actually know anything about this subject, seems to me you're just blowing hot air ???

At least I'm trying to be helpful, far more than I've seen you trying to be, get a life dude.

Is there a reliable basis for the assumption that this guitar has a dual-action trussrod?

From the OP, "while turning it counterclockwise to create a bow in the neck I feel more resistance the more I turn the screw (1/4 turn). Is that normal? It definitely added a bit more bow", a single action truss rod simply would not exhibit these tendencies.

True, that no one can prove without any shadow of doubt that there is a bi-directional truss rod, but the circumstantial evidence indicates a strong possibility. I think that the OP is NOT stupid, and probably understands that unless we can look at it with our own eyes, the best we can do is make an educated guess. I feel that Rastus has done a good job of making an educated guess and back up the his initial statement.

Bookkeeper, I think you are just trying to stir things up.

5945041-witch-stirring-cooking-brew-pot.jpg

Maybe we need a disclaimer:

The information above is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional luthier advice. The reader should always consult his or her professional luthier to determine the appropriateness of the information for their own situation or if they have any questions regarding a condition or treatment plan.

Maybe we need a disclaimer:

The information above is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional luthier advice. The reader should always consult his or her professional luthier to determine the appropriateness of the information for their own situation or if they have any questions regarding a condition or treatment plan.

..or, just call my attorneys office of Dewy, Cheetum and Howe: 612-2x4-4x550

Their Secretary eagerly awaits your call (she can actually say "LITIGIOUS" without laughing).

Here she is on casual Fridays:

image001.jpg

..or, just call my attorneys office of Dewy, Cheetum and Howe: 612-2x4-4x550

Their Secretary eagerly awaits your call (she can actually say "LITIGIOUS" without laughing).

Here she is on casual Fridays:

image001.jpg

I'd like to see her on Sexy Saturday!

Archived