Gibson Brands Forums

Best price on a Gibson?

Gibson101

That's an excellent point. Often the 'same amount of profit' is calculated in terms of a % markup on his cost. Same % on Taylors and Takemine's most likely. Probably higher % on cheaper guitars like Epi's and so on. I don't bother trying to negotiate a free strap or strings - I don't want to complicate the deal, and I rarely find straps I like in the brick and mortar stores.

if you do need those extras though, it's a great deal for both sides. if you pick out $200 worth of accessories that you were going to buy anyway, then it's the same thing to you as them taking off $200 from the price of the guitar. for the dealer though, it only costs him whatever he has in those items. so if the accessories cost him $100, then it's the same money to you but saves him $100.

so, if there really are other items you need (and you find some you like) then take the option of getting them free or at a discount. by the time it's all over, you will have saved money or broken even, and the dealer will have made out better. i can always give a better deal to a customer with add on items for free, compared to just knocking the cash off.

• 5 months later...

I'm currently shopping for a J-200. I found Music Outlet in Sevierville TN is very easy to deal with. They do a straight up 40% off list on all non- special edition Gibsons and Martins. They are a brick and mortar store, I've been there a few times. But if you live outside TN you're better off to call them and order it to avoid the high sales tax. Next time you're headed towards Gatlinburg, stop in. They have a lot of guitars.

Musiciansfriend, wait for a sale coupon (they are doing 8% today), insist on free 2nd day shipping (they'll give it to you), no sales tax. Oh, and they also have a huge inventory. If MF gives you any resistance to these terms, call Woodwind Brasswind .com and make the same offer, they WILL give you that deal (WWBW.com sells out of the same warehouse as MF).

Untouchable.

Gibson 101....what guitar are you looking for????

Hey OWF, not really looking anymore. In fact I have recently sold a couple (J-185, ES-335). I'm looking to buy a house in the next couple of months so unless an unbeatable price on a J-45 TV comes up it will be a while.

Hope all is well with you.

Merry Christmas.

Hey OWF, not really looking anymore. In fact I have recently sold a couple (J-185, ES-335). I'm looking to buy a house in the next couple of months so unless an unbeatable price on a J-45 TV comes up it will be a while.

Hope all is well with you.

Merry Christmas.

Hey G101, not to tempt you, but unbeatable you say? (no affiliation, just wish i had the cash on hand [cool] )

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/msg/2745836515.html

Archived