Gibson Brands Forums

Problem with the pickup stickers

Saav

Hello!

I'm from Chile :)

... and i recently bought an Epiphone Les Paul Custom and I'm really happy with it, I also own an Epiphone Sg g400 that I love

Now the problem is that i recently remove the stickers from the pickups, those that says: "designed by epiphone and blabla" but after I remove them i notice that some "paint" of the stickers is still on the pickups.. as you see in this picture

2011-07-13154611.jpg

and I really don't know how to remove it :(

anyone can give me some help, please?

I'm going to try with some alcohol ! Thanks!

About your questions :

I really don't know... I own the guitar from last week and today I remove the stickers. The only thing I know is that the guitar comes from Miami haha, a long trip no?

I'm going to try with some alcohol ! Thanks!

About your questions :

I really don't know... I own the guitar from last week and today I remove the stickers. The only thing I know is that the guitar comes from Miami haha, a long trip no?

A long ... HOT trip apparently!

Go easy while cleaning it, Saav. I'd hate to see too much of the "gold" come off along with the sticker image. Just be gentle with her ... and good luck!

Jim

As said above, go for a cloth moistened with the following:-

- The worlds #1 solvent, water. Next step add detergent.

- The worlds #2 solvent, ethanol. Vodka may do in a push. [drool]

Don't try acetone unless you are very careful [thumbdn]

At least its easy to work on, loosen the strings a lot then unscrew your tailpiece and move all the strings out of the way.

Alcohol doesn't remove it completely :/

At least its easy to work on, loosen the strings a lot then unscrew your tailpiece and move all the strings out of the way.

I'll try with the Vodka! [drool] Thanks haha

A small amount of WD40 will remove most adhesives. We use it on plexiglass, plastic, etc with no issues. Not sure if you have that (or something like it) down there.

Yes, I have WD40 ! I'll try with it tomorrow too! Thanks.

Thanks for all the replies guys !

dont rub it too much ..

WD40 WILL work but it may leave an oily film. I used WD for years until a book seller got me to try lighter fluid (naptha).

Does the same thing just as well but no oily film. He used it to take price tags off books.. so if it is safe for paper it should be ok on your pickups.

If you only have WD.. go for it.. just clean it up afterwards.

I use naptha to remove fingerprints on guitars and they shine like Syd Barett when you are done.

did steve tell tell you to use vodka

the naptha will take it off. looks like all the glue stayed as well. the gold ..its a matter of time till that comes off. when it does get a plating kit from caswell plating supply . you can pop them out and replate them . ive done this before. if you dont loose the gold you might want to clear laquer it.

Chrome plated covers on my LP don't feel that well, I must say. Perhaps I have acidic hands:)

best thing to do then is have them nickel plated. another guy on the line 6 site has that problem. he did the nickel plating problem solved. nickel is hard chrome is not.

Chrome is much harder than nickel, but it is permiable. If its plated over copper it will be worse than if plated over nickel.

Nickel plating looks better than chrome, a warm yellow silver rather than a hard blueish silver.

I saw a couple of works Brough Superior motorbikes in the British motorcycle museum and just drooled over their nickle plated tanks and hardware.

As the chrome will be plated over either copper or nickle, these will oxidize. The oxide on the nickle will self seal better than the copper, which may spread the oxide further under the chrome causing it to become more porus. This applies to chrome plating over steel.

Archived