Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone Here An Elvis Fan?

Tman5293

I know Elvis didn't write much, if anything, of his own stuff, but when he did a song he made it his own. I think he had an incredible and unique voice and was a hell of a charismatic performer. Having said that, I'm not a huge fan of much of the stuff he recorded. I don't dislike him, I'm just kind of casual about being a fan if that makes sense :-k

fl00dsm0k3...

There were some interesting "lines" as to what was country, pop, rock, etc., especially in the 1950s. As far as I'm concerned a lotta country in that era was electrified string band jazz. A certain southern twang to it made it "rockabilly."

In ways I sometimes think "rock" and "country" are just two sides of the same coin, it's just that usually it's easier to understand the lyric in whatever it is that's being called "country" at a given point in time.

At least, that's the observation from a picker who played in a rock band regionally advertized in its day as "the band you've gotta see to believe" and then switched to small town saloon 50s-60s "country." Then "country rock" in another saloon outfit.

m

thanks

was he even country

There was this little company called Sun Records - - - - you know the guys there? . Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Charlie Rich, Carl Perkins, and Jerry Lee Lewis, among others - along with that kid from Tupelo - Elvis Presley.

There was a lot of country there. And Elvis recorded and performed a lot of country material right up to his death.

I know Elvis didn't write much, if anything, of his own stuff, but when he did a song he made it his own. I think he had an incredible and unique voice and was a hell of a charismatic performer. Having said that, I'm not a huge fan of much of the stuff he recorded. I don't dislike him, I'm just kind of casual about being a fan if that makes sense :-k

I even was not a fan of Elvis, rather I did not know him, while the said singer, his fan, did not come to us. Then we began to do directly his songs and there was a new great interest. And it would be interesting to participate in a re-mastering Elvis songs, the material is excellent and sometimes it can be recorded even more interesting than in the 50`s.

Elvis was such a great singer and put on one heck of a show, never short sell him. His impact on Rock and Roll is undeniable!

He inspired many of the next generation of rockers, including a young John Lennon and Elton John and many others, it is unfortunate that most people born after 1955 was introduced to him by the movies he made.

I have to agree his come back concert is just awesome.. He was a great showman and his many Vegas shows never failed to impress.

How can anyone born in the 50s not be an Elvis fan?Elvis is the one who really is responsible for getting rock out to the masses.Sure there was Bill Haley,Chuck Berry,Little Richard etc. but Elvis transcended other rockers and was placed on the Rock Pedestal as a Demi-God.Back in 1987 I went to Memphis on business and took in Graceland while I was there.It was akin to a religious to stand in the room with all the guitars that I recognized from his live performances and movies.Even the Beatles stood in awe of Elvis.Thankfully too he was solely responsible for bringing "race music" to white audiences and letting them hear for the first time all the great music they had been missing.

fl00dsm0k3

... Another point about the 50s and 60s music. Even the Rolling Stones did some of what in the U.S. was "country," although I think not terribly well. My first "good" rock band in college even did a Skeeter Davis "country" song that did well as a crossover - between other wilder stuff. Lots and lots of threads in the fabric of music a the time.

Muleskinner blues was a "rock" hit - but also a bluegrass/country hit. So...???

Bonzo... if you were at Graceland in '87 you were very close to where I had an office at the time. Very close.

I always figured Elvis was a lot more appreciated among the girls and among younger folk. And yeah, I was born a decade before 1955.

Personally, even as a kid I figured that Elvis was part of that line of heartthrob singers dating back to Rudy Vallee and Frank Sinatra. Bill Haley never made it into that number nor did Chuck Berry regardless of ability. Dion and the Belmonts and some of the Doo-Wop crowd did, but... not in the same individual sense. Bobby Vinton, Pat Boone, etc., did come close as did several others.

The "thing" with the Beatles was perhaps that they were the first "band" to be the heartthrob singers. Duane Eddy, Ventures, even the Beach Boys never "hit" with the individual personalities although in ways the Byrds perhaps came close.

The degree to which all that was "marketing" I'll leave up to others. <grin>

m

I read a good observation about The Beatles, to paraphrase they were one of the first successful what we would call today "garage band". It was not common for a band to form on their own, write, arrange and perform their own stuff before the Fab Four...

The common practice Pre-Beatles was for the record label to work through a talent agency to find singers then to put together bands for singers, song writers and arrangers provided the material and radio promotion sold records which would get bookings.

That isn't to say there were no bands trying to break through, Bill Haley & Buddy Holly and the Crickets were the forerunners. Chuck Berry, Little Richard, all the "Doo Whoop" bands were backed up with studio bands, so were The Beach Boys but they did write most of there songs.

Even Peter Paul and Mary were put together by a producer, they each had their own thing going when a agent convinced them to form a folk group.

But there was one act that were writing and arranging their and performing their own stuff in the Pre Beatle days that went on to great success, remember Tom & Jerry?

Artie and Paul . . . . or was it vice versa. B)

Just watched a great documentary on pbs about them and they really did give props to their engineer Roy Halee.

He was the guy they bounced all their ideas off as well as coming up with his own that made the S&G sound something special.

Archived