Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: 1994 Gibson Les Paul Standard *pic heavy*

Kolera

Reply from Gibson for those who might be interested....

Oddly enough I did wonder if it had been refinished as I'd never seen a 'Lemon-drop' with gold hardware, although I suspected it might have been done to special order.

Nicely done and a beautiful colour.

P.

Thanks a lot everyone. I'm real glad I pulled the trigger on this guitar. It plays like a dream. Better than any of my other Gibsons. Action is pretty low without any particular buzz and the neck seems as straight as they come.

I'm going to run it by my tech for a set-up and a check-up, just for good measure.

I was suprised by the pickups. If they are original they should be 490/498's. I have a 2001 Gothic Studio with the same pickups which tends to get a little muddy on the neck, but this Standard doesn't have that issue. It has a lot more clarity.

The construction of the body should be the same if I'm not mistaken, with weight-relieve holes and maple top and all, so I don't really get why there's a tonal difference.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm guessing Customer Service's got something wrong when they informed me that the guitar is Trans Red. In a certain light, it does seem a bit reddish, but since it reads "TA" in the neck pickup cavity, I think Trans Amber might be the right color.

Can anyone with better knowledge of the Gibson colors confirm this?

Must have been a very light "red," if so. "Red" can fade, too, over the

years, depending on how it's treated and stored. A lot of what looked

like "honeyburst" finishes, on older (especially '50's and '60's) LP's

were actually (naturally) faded cherry bursts, originally. There are

some, like that, shown, in "The Gibson Les Paul" book, by Tony Bacon & Paul Day.

CB

CB makes some good points, but this guitar does not show signs of being red and then fading.

A camera can play tricks, so the following is based on what the pictures appear to be:

It looks to be a refin job. The inside of the pup covers appear to be the red shade referred to. It is common for the cavities to look darker, but it looks to be a different shade, as in red vs gold(or, amber, or natural).

Also, if it was that a red that faded, the red would likely remain on the areas not exposed, in this case, under the pup rings.

And, one more clue: where the rings were mounted and it left indentations on the wood, there are dark lines (red?). The lines are much darker than the finish color. That would happen if it was a darker color and sanded off to reveal a lighter one.

Another interesting thing to consider, very seldom is a LP finished with a cherry or red top and not have the back finished in the light brown shade now on that one. It would have likely been the standard cherry color, or at the very least a darker color like the top. I can't really see clues from the pics to tell, but that might account for the extra streaking. Staing wood dark and then sanding off will bring out more of the grain.

I have to say though, to me, I think the way that guitar looks now is prettier than what I envision it to have looked like with the cherry finish. It really is a great color.

I thought the color, inside the pickup holes, was the mahogany body,

as the maple cap seems to be the same color, as the outside. So,

either it was refinished, or Gibson's description was in error. IF

it has been refinished, then I think they would good deep enough,

to account for the indentations, of the pickup rings, as well. So,

that's probably just "dirt build-up?" But, who knows?

Either way, it's a nice color (now), and good score! [thumbup]

CB

Good points as well CB..and it really is hard to tell certain things from pics.

Regardless, certainly, take all the above only as clues and what to look for-not gospel by any means. Not that I feel misunderstood, but I should have stated that as well in case anyone thinks that.

It would be interesting to know where the wood for the top came from, and if it has anything to do with the 3 piece top "option". It doesn't look like the typical maple normally seen for a more modern Gibby. It seems more random in grain, and it is not common to see the dark streaks.

Thank you for your thoughts. I'm convinced it hasn't been refinished. There are no signs anywhere to indicate a refin, and it's also not very common to get done where I'm from. There's only a handfull of really good luthiers here, and it's a pretty expensive thing to get done.

Also the "TA" in the cavity leads me to think that Customer Service got something wrong and it's actually Trans Amber.

Any ideas of the writings in the other pickup cavity?

Archived