Gibson Brands Forums

Got my Rebel 30 up and running....

daveinspain

Well when I played it in the showroom we had a hard time getting it to work. I thought it was bad chords but it may have been the tubes. I'm sure my poor little Rebel took a beating while at Guitar Center... All they had was the floor model and I didn't have time to wait for them to get me a new in the box model. I did get a discount on it though... At least one of the EL84 tubes was shorted but I changed the pair... I put in Groove Tubes EL84 S that have a rating of 1, supposed to best for blues and classic rock...

Well when I played it in the showroom we had a hard time getting it to work. I thought it was bad chords but it may have been the tubes. I'm sure my poor little Rebel took a beating while at Guitar Center... All they had was the floor model and I didn't have time to wait for them to get me a new in the box model. I did get a discount on it though... At least one of the EL84 tubes was shorted but I changed the pair... I put in Groove Tubes EL84 S that have a rating of 1, supposed to best for blues and classic rock...

Hope those work out well for ya Dave, I've had nothing but problems with GT's and end up replacing them with JJ's.

Groove Tubes can be real good, I wish I knew more about their ratings other than the chart/coding available everywhere.

JJ's are ok for consistency but my Mesa has never sounded quite the same with them, I am about to try something else.

Groove Tubes can be real good, I wish I knew more about their ratings other than the chart/coding available everywhere.

JJ's are ok for consistency but my Mesa has never sounded quite the same with them, I am about to try something else.

I could see that, Mesas tend to be a little fickle. I've never dropped the cash on high end tubes, if I get an AC30 reasonably soon I may try some telefunkens or something in it.

guitar center can be so [cursing][thumbdn]](*,)](*,)[cursing]

I used to call Long & McQuade the Canadian version of Guitar Center... clearly I must change that comparison as it is an insult now... Say what you will about chain stores, Long & McQuade are very good at looking after their customers... maybe because they started out as a mom and pop store and are still family owned. I guess the other thing I've observed here in on East Coast is that when they expanded this way, they bought up mom and pop stores and the former owners stayed on as management.

Archived