Gibson Brands Forums

playing in the heat

saturn

The last few weeks I've been playing some semi-acoustic gigs with vocal/acoustic guitar, congas and me playing leads and fills on electric guitar. Most of these gigs take place outside on the deck of tiki bars and it's been HOT. Yesterday took the record with 103 deg and about 115 heat index! We've had issues with the PA cutting out occasionally and generally acting wierd. You think this could be caused by extreme heat?

I also had a comment from someone yesterday that they wouldn't bring their good guitar out in this stuff. Well all I had availble was my Les Paul. I tried to keep it out of the direct sun as much as I could. Could heat and sun can damage a guitar? Like maybe the nitro finish? :-k

Although I don't have any empirical evidence to cite, I doubt that 100-degree weather is particularly dangerous to a guitar, especially a solid-body. The way I figure it, if such conditions were as big a problem as some people might believe, guitars would be falling apart at alarming rates in the southern states, etc, and wood furniture collapses would result in countless visits to the ER.

As for using a "good" guitar for such a gig, I suppose it's up to the individual - but for me, a guitar is a tool, and should be used as such. Use the best tool for the job. I can think of no better way to honor a good guitar than to wear it out.

I wouldn't worry.... well unless your sweat is very acidic and will eat away at the finish [biggrin]

If you're immediately going from 100 degree heat to a 70 degree thermal environment, that may cause an issue with tuning, but that would be about it.

Hi, I have a question about playing outside in the heat. How do you stop your hands from getting all sticky and gummy feeling on the neck. I have such a hard time with that. Any suggestions?

During the summer months when playing clubs I would used a thin sweatband on my wrist to catch the sweat coming from my arm.... In between songs I would poor a little baking soda in my palm and use a rag to wipe my hands

Only extremely drastic changes like quickly going from 100 to 30 degree would potential cause finish checking and cracking. The sunlight could cause the clear nitro to "yellow" but I heard that Gibson's current nitro formula does not yellow as easily. Other than that just watch out for rubber on stands and stuff like that.... Other than that it just blows playing outside in the heat.... or cold for that matter...

Andy

Hi, I have a question about playing outside in the heat. How do you stop your hands from getting all sticky and gummy feeling on the neck. I have such a hard time with that. Any suggestions?

Baby Powder on the palm of your hand does wonders - keeps your hand from sticking on the back of a glossy neck; but try to keep it off your fingers or it'll kill round-wound strings pretty quickly. "Finger Ease" works very well too and won't hurt anything, but don't follow the instructions - spray it on and don't wipe it off for a super slippery surface. Works well for me............

Dealing with extreme heat is very important not only for your instrument but for you as well. There have been some good suggestions here to protect your guitar from excess sweat from your body. Sweat bands and wipe down cloth are a must! Keep your guitar out of the direct sun but don't stash it behind a hot amplifier... look for shade or make a shady space on stage and make sure your guitar is in a good sturdy stand, I suggest a Hurcules stand with the locking headstock holder.

Just as important is keeping yourself cooled down... Make sure you have plenty of fluids and dress accordingly... The Heavy Metal look may be cool but dark colors will be a killer on a hot summer day on stage... This may be a more appropriate way to go..

borat-20060607053153666-000.jpg

Baby Powder on the palm of your hand does wonders - keeps your hand from sticking on the back of a glossy neck; but try to keep it off your fingers or it'll kill round-wound strings pretty quickly. "Finger Ease" works very well too and won't hurt anything, but don't follow the instructions - spray it on and don't wipe it off for a super slippery surface. Works well for me............

thanks for the suggestions!

Thanks everyone. I agree that my guitar is a tool and always use the best one available. I just want to keep my tool as nice a possible, for as long as possible :-"

The other guy was afraid to bring his new Taylor out, si he used his old Takamine. WIMP [flapper]

As for the PA, one dude who claimed to be a sound guy, said our issues were a direct result of the heat. IDK, because I'm not too knowledgeable about such things.

'playing in the heat'

easily avoided to save your beautiful guitars....................................................................

.....................................................................................move to 'Great' Britain.

Couldn't melt an eskimo's libido! [cursing]

living and playing in Arizona I've had some experience with playing in hot weather, Ive always figured if you can handle and not die then so can your guitar! If you leave it locked in a parked car or in the trunk then you might have problems, just like you yourself would if someone left you in a locked car.

Archived