Gibson Brands Forums

Travelling with guitars/equipment.

sjRobbie

Okay, so I was recently overseas and found a beautiful Les Paul Standard for a great price. I asked the guy in the store as to how I would take it home. He said that I would definitely have to take the guitar on the plane as hang luggage otherwise there would be a good chance of it being destroyed by the time I got home, especially with the way luggage people handle and throw around luggage. So I rang the airlines I was travelling with (Virgin and US airways) and both told me that if I wanted to take the guitar on the plane, I would have to buy an extra seat for it. So I though F*** that, I'll buy one at home.

So I guess the point is, how do you guys travel (overseas mainly) with your guitars/equipment without it costing a fortune and without destroying your guitars? This is the first time that I've tried to take any guitars/equipment overseas.

I take my classical guitar abroad and sometimes it is allowed on the plane (if it is British airways), but if it is a cheaper airline like Monarch or Easy Jet, they put it in the plane's hold. I use a Hiscox case which has a crush resistance of 1100 lbs (the average weight of an American husband and wife [flapper]) and my guitar is insured too, so I never worry about it [thumbup]

http://www.hiscoxcases.com/

Matt

I take my classical guitar abroad and sometimes it is allowed on the plane (if it is British airways), but if it is a cheaper airline like Monarch or Easy Jet, they put it in the plane's hold. I use a Hiscox case which has a crush resistance of 1100 lbs (the average weight of an American husband and wife [flapper]) and my guitar is insured too, so I never worry about it [thumbup]

http://www.hiscoxcases.com/

Matt

Now THAT is funny.

But surely even in a hard case, the guitar would still take damage from being dropped etc. It's not as much being in the plane I would be as worried about, but more being dropped and thrown around.

Well when you have it put on the plane itself, you often carry it (yourself) right up until you board and it is then put with all the push chairs (god I hate it when I see loads of push chairs - screaming kids!)

Remember how fragile a classical guitar is too and I never had the slightest mark on the guitar or even on the case for that matter! What I do too (after loosening the strings) is put tissue paper and sometimes bits of bubble wrap on the body and in any gaps in the case so it is really snug. Also make sure you have two nice big stickers saying fragile.

I wouldn't want to test it but I think in the case it could survive quite a lot.

I'm not sure, can you?

How do you go about doing that?

do as Duane said, some airlines will do it differently, I suggest you ask for a gate check for your guitar,

but call the airlines before so youre sure before you get there.

... I was travelling with (Virgin and US airways) and both told me that if I wanted to take the guitar on the plane, I would have to buy an extra seat for it....

Change carriers. They are not all using the same policy. Some of the larger carriers will allow it as a carry on. If it doesn't fit in the overhead bin, they will stow it safely somewhere in the passenger cabin.

f4efebe61786.jpg

With problems like this on airplanes is bringing a guitar to your seat with you really going to be a problem? I mean they dont stink, sweat, wheeze for air or really disturb passengers so whats the difference? This guy didnt have to pay for two or three seats like he should've I bet he cant even buckle up for take off or landing; however there shouldnt be any issues with the tray being in the upright position.

Also specify specific handling instructions and always insure your guitar its well worth the $40-50 if anything does happen, slap a couple freight indicators on it and you will know if its been mistreated and have the evidence to prove it if the airline tries to say no.

http://shockwatch.com/shipping_handling_monitors/shipping_handling_overview.php

Another thing to do, is call your carrier ahead of time, get verbal confirmation that the guitar is allowed as a carry-on. Get the person's name and city. If you get the stone wall =; at check-in, say, "I called ahead, Ms._______ said it would be okay." One poster here years ago said this worked for him. Also, go the your carrier's website, print out the specific page which applies to guitars / instruments. The folks at the gate cannot know EVERY little policy their employer has. If it's in writing, they should wave you past. If nothing else, a supervisor should be able to confirm the carrier's policy.

Also... to keep TSA grief to a minimum. clear out your case's glove box of anything and everything that could conceivably be used as a weapon. I think the days of fingernail clippers being banned are past us, but you never know what item unfamiliar to the TSA agent will be questioned. "That black box with batteries is a what? A ... tune er??? :-k "

Place these items in checked bags.

If you have contoured case like a Les Paul hard shell, you can take it on with you and put it in the overhead. If a rectangular case like a strat, you have to check it in. I put bubble wrap and loosening the strings or get a gig bag and carry it on. US air is part of United and I've done it with both airlines a number of times. If it is a small prop plane, gate check it and ask the handler to please be extra careful. They usually will do.

Good luck!

Archived