Gibson Brands Forums

NSD with a shocking discovery....

daveinspain

Changed the strings on my beloved 1st edition Robot... [biggrin] But wait [confused] whats that I see [blink] Oh my GOD the first two frets have some serious divots [scared] Did I do that [confused] ??? I must have done it, I'm the only one who plays the guitar ](*,) So now what? I guess I have to play with a much lighter touch, this guitar is only 4 years old! I have guitars 40 years old that the frets look perfect. Do newer guitars use cheaper material or a softer metal? Damn, I would hate to have to refret the guitar... I guess the next time I put strings on I'll take it to my Luthier and have him dress the frets or crown them.

Anyone else have this happen on a fairly new guitar?

Dave, you said this particular guitar was one of the original Robot guitars. Maybe the pressure exerted by the different string tensions from the

different alternate tunings does that. Most guys who use alternate turnings (I'm talking with non-robot guitars) have a special guitar setup for that

particular tuning because it involves a special setup for intonation, etc. of the strings in that tuning so the neck is adjusted properly for the tension

that's not standard. I'm not sure that the Robot guitars take that into consideration when you can change a tuning on the fly. They're still in their early stages.

You may want to talk to a Gibson representative about it and how you use this particular guitar and maybe he can give you some insight. And, if the wear is

abnormal, then it should be covered under the warranty. Doesn't hurt to try. Good luck...Paul :)

Dave, you said this particular guitar was one of the original Robot guitars. Maybe the pressure exerted by the different string tensions from the

different alternate tunings does that. Most guys who use alternate turnings (I'm talking with non-robot guitars) have a special guitar setup for that

particular tuning because it involves a special setup for intonation, etc. of the strings in that tuning so the neck is adjusted properly for the tension

that's not standard. I'm not sure that the Robot guitars take that into consideration when you can change a tuning on the fly. They're still in their early stages.

You may want to talk to a Gibson representative about it and how you use this particular guitar and maybe he can give you some insight. And, if the wear is

abnormal, then it should be covered under the warranty. Doesn't hurt to try. Good luck...Paul :)

Interesting thought but I never really use the alternate tunings capabilities that the guitar has... I use the robotics simply for keeping the guitar in tune... I have used an alternate tuning a couple of times to play Cashmere but that's about it. The Robot is my go to guitar, I use it the most. I'm going to have a good look at my other Gibsons to see if it's happening anywhere else....

Hey Dave, newer guitars do come with softer frets, I've noticed it in lots of gibbies (but no fenders :D) hopefully my robot won't suffer from that (I hardly use it anyway).

I guess if it's your main guitar it's normal for that to happen, especially if you are a little heavy handed. What gauge are you using? Any brand in particular? Different brands use different alloys.

Hey Dave, newer guitars do come with softer frets, I've noticed it in lots of gibbies (but no fenders :D) hopefully my robot won't suffer from that (I hardly use it anyway).

I guess if it's your main guitar it's normal for that to happen, especially if you are a little heavy handed. What gauge are you using? Any brand in particular? Different brands use different alloys.

Hey Thunder, great to hear from you... I use D'Addario 10s you know the ones with the colored nubby things at the end. I am trying to lighten up on the neck and I don't play the open chords as much as I used to anymore... So how come you aren't using the Robot? What's your goto guitar now?

I just bought my first Strat last month while I was home in Boston and shipped it to Spain. It still hasen't arrived yet and it's almost been a month... [blink] It got hung up in custom.... ](*,) I hope to have it in the next few days though... I'll let you know. BTW I'm playing in two bands and loving it!!

Dave

Spend the extra $1/pack and buy pure nickel strings. They're easier on frets than nickel wound strings are.

They're all I use. They also give you a slightly mellower (and in my opinion, better) tone.

OK Tim, thanks for the tip... I'll do that. [thumbup]

good advice on the nickel and/or coated strings like Elixir if you like them, Just a bit softer on the frets. Depending on how much you play and how you play (Heavy handed or not) it's not that unusual to show wear on frets that fast. You have the right idea though get a good level and fret dressing and you'll not only be back to new looking but you'll also reduce the wear with proper fret shape and contact you'll get more even wear again.

That does seem a bit odd. My Gibsons don't have this problem. My Gibson Sonex saw at least 2-3 gigs a night for 10 years straight. It had divots, but after the frets were dressed it was good as new. Since I don't gig like that anymore it'll last me well into my retirement years.

I get the feeling newer Gib/Epi guitars have softer frets. Long story why.

I'm also with the guys pushing pure nickel or Elixir polyweb - the heavier web.

Another thing to think about is your technique. How much perhaps do you unintentionally put sideways pressure on strings even if you don't think you're "bending?" I've seen that a lot.

m

I would go Nickel over the Elixirs I use Nano's on my SWD and I tried with much enthusiasm them on my 335 but I was disappointed in them it wasnt so much the string they did what they were meant to do but I found my sweat and the strings became sluggish and almost "gluey" I still use them on my Acoustic but I found for shows with the LP or 335 some nice Nickel does the job.

Once you get them dressed properly they won't seem to wear as quickly as factory fret's which are not dressed as fully in most cases. Strange that it's only a few frets that high on the board though, when it's just a few frets in that location it is usually on an acoustic from using a capo to tight ?

You need to play more of the fretboard so you can spread the wear out more evenly [laugh]

Hey Thunder, great to hear from you... I use D'Addario 10s you know the ones with the colored nubby things at the end. I am trying to lighten up on the neck and I don't play the open chords as much as I used to anymore... So how come you aren't using the Robot? What's your goto guitar now?

I just bought my first Strat last month while I was home in Boston and shipped it to Spain. It still hasen't arrived yet and it's almost been a month... [blink] It got hung up in custom.... ](*,) I hope to have it in the next few days though... I'll let you know. BTW I'm playing in two bands and loving it!!

Dave

i know this is off topic but if decide to get another fender ever i highly suggest a tele those are wonderful guitars so versatile

Archived