Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Insurance...different question

Dennis G

The question about guitar insurance has triggered an old question I have but in another vein. Do any of you have a rider or separate policy on your Homeowners/Renters insurance to replace your gear, specifically? I ask, because they're available, and if I add up all the "stuff" I've got, it's not a small sum. Mrs. G has a rider for jewelry, as recommended by our agent (surprise!) and I've often wondered about this. Thoughts? [confused]

Mods - if this should be in the Lounge, pls move. I posted here because of the original thread.

I think there is a question of whether your housing contents policy amount insured figure is sufficient to cover your overall house contents should there be a claim; and whether you are covered for personal items taken out of the home. Often people say it is better to ensure there is an addition to your policy to cover specific high value items/groups of items for theft and/or damage either at home, or away from home. I guess we should probably all look more carefully at this, including myself.

Yes you can insure your stuff. On my policy, the guitars are listed separate from "personal property" and are listed as "scheduled" items, where each guitar is listed separately. This is not expensive either. It is surprisingly affordable! :) Just go talk to your insurance company.

Yes you can insure your stuff. On my policy, the guitars are listed separate from "personal property" and are listed as "scheduled" items, where each guitar is listed separately. This is not expensive either. It is surprisingly affordable! :) Just go talk to your insurance company.

I have the exact same set-up with my insurance. Very reasonable AND it covers theft as well as damages.

Jim

Checked this out recently with my insurance - I don't have to insure any guitar seperately as long as it is valued below £2000 and the combined total of all the guitars, amps etc is covered with the total amount for contents.

I used to have a rider with my last homeowners policy but it wasn't near enough to cover total loss of all my gear. It cost me over $300 a year for $30,000 coverage and I had to sign a waiver stating that I didn't play professionally any more.With my new policy I just made sure that there was enough coverage on the total contents to cover all my gear.If you play professionally the cost of insuring costs much more than if you just play for your own enjoyment as your gear is subjected to more and greater risks.The agent advised me to take out seperate riders on instruments valued more than $5,000 each so that would only apply to my '65 Strat.

Archived