Gibson Brands Forums

Solid State Rules!

Andy R

Solid State Drives for computers that is! msp_biggrin.gif Ha ha bet you thought I was talking about amps! msp_flapper.gif Nope Tubes still rule in that realm. msp_thumbup.gif

Just replaced my OS drive on my Mac with a Solid State Drive. Takes less than 15 seconds to completely boot to OS from shut off state. This thing is screaming fast now! Installs apps and launchs in the blink of an eye! Highly recommended upgrade for anyone!

Andy

I've heard they are fast but I've also read that they don't last as long as the old hard disc platters.

And they are pretty expensive. I considered getting one but at the time it is not cost effective for me.

There nice and fast but I'll give up some speed for capacity. I'd rather have the 750GB my MacBook Pro has anyway than the faster solid state but only 256GB my wife's new Macbook Air has any day of the week. I would need external drives etc. just to hold all my music and video's and that pretty much defeats the whole purpose of the solid state drive.

Now my new Nespresso coffee pot is all solid state and I'm a big fan in that situation.

I've heard they are fast but I've also read that they don't last as long as the old hard disc platters.

And they are pretty expensive. I considered getting one but at the time it is not cost effective for me.

They are a bit expensive for the space comparativeley . I paid 200.00 for 128Gig which is plenty big enough to run the OS and apps I use. I have a 2 terabyte firewire 800 drive for storage. I use the OS and Apps 90%of the time and something that could be stored on my other drive or cloud storage for the other 10% Why work slow for storage space????

I have had plenty of hard drives crap out but never had RAM poop out so I think it is worth the risk as far as longevity. I imagine by the time I wear this one out the cost and capacity will be even more affordable... I give it a thumbs up!

I can shut down and restart in under 20 seconds! It Uses less power.... makes no noise.... and did I mention it is freaking fast! msp_thumbup.gifmsp_biggrin.gif

There nice and fast but I'll give up some speed for capacity. I'd rather have the 750GB my MacBook Pro has anyway than the faster solid state but only 256GB my wife's new Macbook Air has any day of the week. I would need external drives etc. just to hold all my music and video's and that pretty much defeats the whole purpose of the solid state drive.

Now my new Nespresso coffee pot is all solid state and I'm a big fan in that situation.

Well actually you can buy an adapter and put your 750GB or the Solid State where the DVD drive is. Then you have the best of both worlds. Buy a Blue Ray External Writer and all is good!

They're bigger, heavier and make a lot more heat, but they do distort your data in a more pleasing fashion.......

Definitely creates a more pleasing compression of the data... msp_w00t.gif

Here is the speed comparison.

My Internal 328 GB HDD and Sata 3 connection

DiskSpeedTest-1.png

Same internal Sata 3 connection with SSD

DiskSpeedTest.png

Its like the difference from dial-up and broad band how fast everything opens and loads. It took 30 minutes to Install lion from the HDD it took about 10 to Install it from the SSD .... Awesome! Yes I am A NERD!!!!!!

We talking SSD - solid state hard drives such as This from Microcenter

It's only 120GB but I need more space than that. In fact I need to upgrade to 500GB for my notebook.

djroge,

Do you need 500 gig as your system and apps drive? msp_scared.gif or do you need the space for storage? Think about it....

djroge,

Do you need 500 gig as your system and apps drive? msp_scared.gif or do you need the space for storage? Think about it....

I want the extra space. I am currently using 200Gb of my system right now. I have 45Gb in program files and data so that's not storage. So yeah I want the 500Gb for programs and storage.

Archived