Gibson Brands Forums

Moderator shennanigans

Jerry K

Yesterday a post I made to a thread was deleted without notice or explanation. I retyped the post, with a little note added about the deletion. The thread was locked a few hours later. Now, once again my post has been deleted out of the locked thread, and the quote of my post by another poster edited out. No explanation. This is about the 5th time my posts have been edited or deleted without notice or explanation. Moderators should not be taking sides in the discussion and using their editing powers to help their friends. When a post is edited or deleted by a moderator, a note should be left indicating what was done.

Yesterday a post I made to a thread was deleted without notice or explanation. I retyped the post, with a little note added about the deletion. The thread was locked a few hours later. Now, once again my post has been deleted out of the locked thread, and the quote of my post by another poster edited out. No explanation. This is about the 5th time my posts have been edited or deleted without notice or explanation. Moderators should not be taking sides in the discussion and using their editing powers to help their friends. When a post is edited or deleted by a moderator, a note should be left indicating what was done.

Jerry, don't you think they're tryin' to tell you something?

I don't see this lasting long either.

For one, you are accusing the mods of taking sides and telling them how it should be, while at the same time saying you don't know why it was deleted. Sometimes a post may be deleted and it is nothing personal at all, it just crosses a line that has potential to CAUSE a fight or something the the mods are charged with avoiding (for our pleasure).

Sometimes, no explanation is needed because it is OBVIOUS, and to state a reason would only be saying something NOT nice that serves no purpose. Sometimes, a person may come across as asking for a fight, and if a mod has deleted because a mod is trying to avoid a fight happening, you probably aren't going to get a fight from the mod.

Sometimes we write things and don't really see how they come out. You might want to take another look, because the deleted post (and this one) come across as looking for a fight, and characterizing others in a negative way. If you didn't mean to do that, than all is cool, right? No reason to get upset at others if you accidentally came across not how you meant it.

I think Jerry knows that what he said was not very nice. That's not the issue. His perception is that he was retaliating against, not instigating, nastiness. (That's clear from his deleted post.) Hence, the moderators deleting his post, but leaving those that inspired it, appears to him to be a case of the moderators taking sides. (That's clear from his post here.)

If that's not how the moderators saw the situation, a note to him explaining why might be nice. Just a suggestion!

-- Bob R

I think the mods do a good job and cut plenty of slack. But there's a finite amount, and after that point has been reached action must be taken. Unfortunately, some folks just plain don't realize they've run their slack out to the end. If anyone needs a memo on how to behave, visit the Forum Rules - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/36794-forum-rules/

BTW, rule 16. Gibson Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

As I see it the staff should inform a member if his/her post are taken out/censured.

It's the only way for people to steer, adjust things, take precautions, learn the name of the game. If poster A crosses some line – maybe without being aware – he/she should be the first to be enlightened. It could easily be communicated by personal mail.

I understand there is an Ignore User function as well. Again I been thinking about this a while. If member A gets his/her posts or personal conversations ignored by member B, well, , , then member A is entitled to know. Who would want to continue to respond to a members post without knowing this member can't - don't wanna - see what they're doing. . . More than foolish. If member A has a concrete and incompatible counter-figure in member B, they're both better off playing with open cards.

In reality I don't get the problem. We cannot all be fans of each-other. But this Board is like a party, , , or a fairground – like a village for heavens sake. We are bound to circle the stalls and streets, meet on the dance-floor, in corridors or on the Town-hall Square - and if something/someone doesn't fit/isn't needed, don't break down - Just avoid the item !

No mod or admin is taking sides, an Admin (not volunteer mod) deleted both posts. Please see the forum rules at http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/36794-forum-rules/. If you have any questions or concerns, please PM me. Thank you.

Archived