Gibson Brands Forums

Down memory lane with my first Epi

Not-Too-Late

I was rummaging through some old photos and came across a few photos that bring back some very fond memories. I thought I would share this with everyone here.

The first picture shows me with my new Gibson (I honestly can’t find info on the model). The amp was an old Epiphone that dates back to the late 30’s. My dad is holding his new bass that he was learning to play. He’s pretty musically inclined as he played both trumpet and steel guitar. As a young teenager of 17, I wasn’t overly thrilled with the Gibson. My dad got it for me, and I paid him back with a part time job at a grocery store while attending high school. Wanting to play Rock ‘n Roll with my friends I took the Gibson back to where it was purchased and traded it in for an Epiphone Coronet. I remember the sales staff thinking I was out of my mind. Hey I was 17, I didn’t have any care about which one was better. All I wanted was to jam with the friends and I felt the fat Gibson didn’t fit in. Needless to say pop was upset when I came home with it and told him what I did. But I loved that Coronet, and put together a few decent bands playing it. The second and third picture show the Coronet. The forth picture (sorry for the bad quality. I’m getting it restored), is one of our band doing a concert in our high school auditorium. I’m the good looking guy on the left playing the Coronet. The guy in the middle is playing my dad’s steel guitar (normally he plays the sax). The singer is not in our band but sang with us for the concert. The other guitar player on the right is playing a home made guitar emulating the Mosrite Venture’s signature version. It wasn't long after that that I started playing Tele's. I will try and find some. Those were great days filled with great memories. Man do I wish I had a time machine.

Anyway, that’s a little about me.

NewGibsonGuitar.jpg

Guitar02-01.jpg

Guitar03-01.jpg

Guitar12-01.jpg

Oh man ... I LOVE that concert shot ... it could be a still from an old "Shindig" showI I am trying to imagine what song you were performing when that shot was taken. I thinking a Leslie Gore tune with that singer at the helm! By the way, the center dancer ... the one with the frilly bell-bottoms? I vote for her to be Prom Queen!

I go bacl a way with Epiphone too. Here's a shot with one of my first electric guitars, an ET-270. shot sometime in the very early 70's. I never cared much for that guitar ... but in those days, EVERYONE wanted a Stratocaster!

Check out the white, vinyl guitar strap ... would Stein say this is "hip"?

scan0001.jpg

ET-270Catalogpage.jpg

Jim

Oh man ... I LOVE that concert shot ... it could be a still from an old "Shindig" showI I am trying to imagine what song you were performing when that shot was taken. I thinking a Leslie Gore tune with that singer at the helm! By the way, the center dancer ... the one with the frilly bell-bottoms? I vote for her to be Prom Queen!

I go bacl a way with Epiphone too. Here's a shot with one of my first electric guitars, an ET-270. shot sometime in the very early 70's. I never cared much for that guitar ... but in those days, EVERYONE wanted a Stratocaster!

Check out the white, vinyl guitar strap ... would Stein say this is "hip"?

scan0001.jpg

ET-270Catalogpage.jpg

Jim

I was just thinking what a cool strap and pondering what to say..then..I realised that the strap on the guitar I use most is..you guessed it..vinyl (although a silvery white)..

But then I also noticed, the way you dress in that photo is a LOT like something I would wear. I wear long tees all the time in winter (with a button shirt over like that).

Then (and this is freaking me out) I looked at what I am wearing NOW and it happens to be light colored pants and a grey button shirt (almost exactly the same as shown).

The way I figure it, that SHOULD score me some hip points.

Those are some great shots boys!! The blonde dancer in the center gets my vote too Jim.

But having met your wife and you meeting mine, I know we both have a weakness for blondes!! [biggrin]

The height scale in the background of your pic is pretty much correct, isn't it Jim?

I played in a few different bands, but have no pictures. [crying]

The first picture shows me with my new Gibson (I honestly can’t find info on the model).

That is an ES-350T. It was essentially a Byrdland with less fancy appointments.

The earlier P-90 version was rockin' enough for Chuck Berry :)

56es350t_cb.jpg

Here's one at Guitar Center - you can buy a ticket to go further down memory lane for only $6,300:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Vintage-VINTAGE-GIBSON-ES350T-1960-NAT-071711-106733846-i2029863.gc?&source=4WFRWXX&CAWELAID=934832219

Archived