Gibson Brands Forums

Headstock & Neck

Not-Too-Late

I didn't notice this until now, but when I made close examination of the neck, I could see a distinct line that would indicate a join between the headstock and the neck itself. Is is normal? Would this then not contribute to a weak spot and also to the fact that there have been some issues with breakage? Sorry to bring up the neck issue again here, but I wasn't aware of what appears to be a two piece neck. Thanks guys.

I didn't notice this until now, but when I made close examination of the neck, I could see a distinct line that would indicate a join between the headstock and the neck itself. Is is normal? Would this then not contribute to a weak spot and also to the fact that there have been some issues with breakage? Sorry to bring up the neck issue again here, but I wasn't aware of what appears to be a two piece neck. Thanks guys.

what guitar is it

It's called a scarf joint and is standard on many guitars. Some have them at the heel too.

The joint is stronger than the wood and the neck will never break there....

That is quite interesting. It's amazing how they do that, joining two peices together and end up being stronger than if it was one single piece.

For clarity sake, the scarf joint's purpose is about the factory using less wood to lower production cost.

This. Scarfed on headstocks are a hallmark of cheap guitars. They only make the necks marginally stronger than a single piece, and only in that one spot. They really do nothing to prevent the classic Gibson (and Epiphone) break. You really want to make a neck stronger, you laminate it into 3-5 pieces down the length of the neck.

Or even better; Don't make the necks out of mahogany. It's not a suitable wood to make guitar necks out of.

Well, the best piece of wood to make a 1 piece out of is, go look for a tree branch that has a natural straight bit and a sharp curve in it of 14 degrees, find the wood to fit your shape. They did that on the old wooden fighting ships in the 18th century to make the bows.

This. Scarfed on headstocks are a hallmark of cheap guitars. They only make the necks marginally stronger than a single piece, and only in that one spot. They really do nothing to prevent the classic Gibson (and Epiphone) break. You really want to make a neck stronger, you laminate it into 3-5 pieces down the length of the neck.

Or even better; Don't make the necks out of mahogany. It's not a suitable wood to make guitar necks out of.

Some high end manufacturers and builders also use scarf joints in one form or another. Taylor for example use a "Finger" scarf joint across their range, Furch and Avalon in Europe have used a similar method too.

Lots of top classical guitar makers use a scarf joint as well as a stacked heel on their guitars too.

Steve.

It's called a scarf joint and is standard on many guitars. Some have them at the heel too.

The joint is stronger than the wood and the neck will never break there....

Here's the scarf joint on my EPI LP Classic:

(hasn't broken yet!)

100_0636.jpg

Some high end manufacturers and builders also use scarf joints in one form or another. Taylor for example use a "Finger" scarf joint across their range, Furch and Avalon in Europe have used a similar method too.

Lots of top classical guitar makers use a scarf joint as well as a stacked heel on their guitars too.

Steve.

I realize this, (Jackson guitars usually have a scarfed on headstock too and the American-made ones cost multiple thousand dollars) but in general scarf joints are found on cheap guitars because it's mostly a cost cutting measure, as it uses less wood. I'm not saying they're BAD. It is a legitimate wood-working technique. But you have to realize that they are no better than single piece necks. IMHO, the notion that they are stronger than a single piece neck is nonsense.

size]After reading this I examined the headstock of my 1966 G400 closer, and saw that it seems to be made of four pieces of wood. :-k I had noticed one of the joints before, but I was surprised to find two more up there. Furthermore, I have one at the heel too. I'll probably take some pictures later.

EDIT: Pictures. The joint at the bottom of the headstock is very difficult to see.

samlinghovedpile.th.jpg samlinghoved2pile.th.jpg samlinghoved3pile.th.jpg samlinghl.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

IMHO, the notion that they are stronger than a single piece neck is nonsense.

I don't know about always, but much of the time? I'd say it's not nonsense. My woodshop teacher in high school always said that a properly designed joint was stronger than the surrounding wood and many luthiers seem to be of this opinion, also.

Google "glue joint stronger than wood" and you'll find hundreds of woodworking pages on the subject, most of which appear to fall into the "joints are stronger" camp.

Archived