Gibson Brands Forums

What kind of potentiometers do you guys use?

Twiz

Hey gang, I had to change the volume pots in one of my Les Paul Specials (they died). I wound up getting some 500k DiMarzio's because my local shop was out of Gibson's, and I had a gig. My guitar sounded way better after I changed them. So much so, that I think I'm going to change my other LP's volume pots to 500k's. Are there any manufacturers that are better than the others? I'm not too familiar with electronic components makers, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It was a long time ago that I had tried out a lot of different pots from different makers, so perhaps things have changed.

The pots that I had that were marked Dimarzio were the same as the one's I could get that were marked Gibson. They were not made by CTS, and I don't remember who made them. One, (Gibson or Dimarzio) Had the Manufacturer codes on them.

They did produce a different sound to them comparing them to the CTS pots. They sounded smoother and lacked treble compared to the CTS, But the CTS sounded grainy and the treble sounded..hmm..more rough. I eneded up prefering the CTS by far, but these were strats. They really needed that extra treble to sound like a strat, scratchy as it was.

I also stuck with the CTS because they were the most common in the older guitars. They also looked the same, so I thought there was a better chance they were also made the same.

I think it is a good question you ask, because you can NOT judge a book by it's cover with these things. Not only did the pots sound different, but the ones that were clearly the best sounding were the ones made in Japan (I have no idea who made them-but I am referring to the ones that came stock in Japanese fenders around the late 80's-mid 90's)

It would be worthwhile to know the codes on your pots, and compare them visually to the Gibson ones. They may be the same make.

RSGuitarworks is generally regarded as the standard for guitar electronics.

I use their kit, with vintage wiring and PIO caps.

+1. They do great looking(and sounding) remakes of all the old Fender and Gibby PIO caps.

CTS is a brand, they make pots of different qualities and price points, so choose wisely.

For instance there are CTS pots with aluminum shaft while the better quality ones have a brass shaft.

Gibsons use CTS pots but they are not the highest quality CTS offers.

RSGuitarworks.net has a 500k "Superpot" for the volume position that has fine specs, they have them made especially for them, they are more expensive but worth it. Those pots work exactly like you think a volume pot should work

Awesome. Thanks for the info everyone. I'm probably going to go with some kind of higher end pots from CTS. Or, I may just get another couple of the DiMarzio 500k's. -The ones I got have brass posts and sound pretty good. Cheers.

Archived