Gibson Brands Forums

Chili Colorado

Californiaman

Chili Colorado

Put three pounds of chopped stew meat in a slow cooker.

Season with Suzi-Q Santa Maria Seasoning. Or your favorite seasoning.

One heaping table spoon of ground red pepper. It's important that the ground chili pepper be from California or New Mexico chilies.

A tea spoon of ground cumin. This gives it that great Mexican flavor. It's essentially dried, ground cilantro.

A tea spoon of salt.

A tea spoon of ground black pepper.

One table spoon of brown sugar.

Two 7 ounce cans of diced mild green chilis.

One large finely chopped sweet onion.

One 29 ounce can of tomato sauce.

Stir and turn the slow cooker to low.

Let it cook for several hours on low, stirring occasionally.

That's it.

Enjoy.

Colorado is slang for "red-ish" in Spanish probbaly the color given by the chiles, (not chilies).

And by the way Cumin is not ground cilantro, Cumin is well, Cumin.

I'm sorry I meant that Cumin was ground cilantro seeds.

At least that's the way I heard it. Ground cilantro seeds.

The reason I say to use ground chiles from California or New Mexico is that often store bought ground chili powder has sugar and salt and other seasoning added to it.

Make sure you have pure ground red chili.

The slower you cook it, the softer the meat is when it's done.

Sounds great Californiaman!

Yep Cilantro-coriander seed.

Chili verde is a close cousin that is also fantastic!

Tman, good to hear from you!

How are things in the south county my fellow Santa Barbarian?

When can you come up?

How's about a day in September or October.

I'm busy with my oldest boy's football team, but it would be nice to have you and the Mrs. Tman up for a Q.

Thanks Cman!

Things are busy as can be (taken on new things with the job including frequent drives to Bakersfield - man it's hot there). Plus me and the Mrs both got ill in the last few weeks but that's all over thank god. Like Daveinspain, I had a calcium deposit but of a different sort and it was torture!

Would absolutely love to do a Q, and have some of that Chili Colorado! We could combine it with a trip to Naci!

Cheers

Canned chilis???!!!!! NEVER!!!! Besides being morally and gastronomically wrong - it's chili season right now. Get about 10 pounds, roast them up and freeze them for later.

And if you really want to make it interesting - add a dash of cinnamon - it really brings out the other flavors.

And if you really want to make it interesting - add a dash of cinnamon - it really brings out the other flavors.

I like your style, brother. When I make chili I put a cinnamon stick in at the start and take it out just before serving. The flavor of tomato sauce with cinnamon is yummy. And your guests will rack their brains trying to figure out what that flavor is.

Hatch chili peppers baby. (enjoy the spelling)

I'd spice it up to hell, but hey I'm from New Orleans! This gumbo I made last night is puttin me in a happy place right about now...

I need to start cooking some Mexican, it has proven much tougher than I ever imagined to find a better-than-mediocre Mexican restaurant in L.A. I've just about given up on 'top-notch.'

Archived