Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar separation anxiety

NoFrills

Anyone ever had this happen?

Ok, my Luthier is replacing the machine heads on my Les Paul Studio with Grover Vintage 135s and cleaning the fret board.

It's been 10 days and has had to order the machine heads from the US.

I keep thinking to myself, it shouldn't take this long to get the parts from the US and do what else he decided top do to my LP.

yeah, it's tough not being able to play your favorite ax. my luthier is pretty good at getting it back to me quickly. i don't have to bring it in until the parts have arrived and the work is going to be done. who knows about your guy. he might be gigging with it.... [scared][crying][tongue]

Not so much for me, I know my luthier/fix it man pretty well. He also updates me pretty much every day if one of my babies is with him.

I think that's the problem here.

I don't know the guy very well and I am pretty much handing my guitar to a stranger and he doesn't not give updates on where he is at with the progress.

I had let him file some ramps into the bridge of my Washburn EA22 the week before, which was the first time I had met him.

He is well known as THE Luthier in town who actually makes guitars.

Maybe I need to chill out, go out and get some beers.

yeah, it's tough not being able to play your favorite ax. my luthier is pretty good at getting it back to me quickly. i don't have to bring it in until the parts have arrived and the work is going to be done. who knows about your guy. he might be gigging with it.... [scared][crying][tongue]

Yes something along those lines did cross my mind.

"Oh....I'm just teting it out to make sure the machine heads stay in tune...." lol

It is my favorite electric and the paint is worn to tell.

It's not like I have tjhe desire to take it to bed and give it a woman's name but none the less it's my main weapon of choice.

I used to have this problem before I started keeping more than one guitar.

My guitar of choice might still be the one I prefer to play all the time, but luckly I'm able to let it go to the luthier without jonesing for it as long as I have at least a decent backup... with 2 Gibby's and a Gretsch in my house now, I don't think I have to worry about this ever again. (I will forever have a minimum of 2 guitars)

I used to have this problem before I started keeping more than one guitar.

My guitar of choice might still be the one I prefer to play all the time, but luckly I'm able to let it go to the luthier without jonesing for it as long as I have at least a decent backup... with 2 Gibby's and a Gretsch in my house now, I don't think I have to worry about this ever again. (I will forever have a minimum of 2 guitars)

Maybe I need a new guitar?

I have a 1980 Ibanez Artstar which I do want to replace....

I should sell my old Peavey Telecaster copy once I have had it resprayed which has a beautiful sound on the lipstick pickup.

Maybe it's time for a PRS standard which I have been wanting to get to reduce the anxiety of being away from my Les Paul.

not to be an enabler but if you've got a second instrument that is as enjoyable to play as your Les Paul, it might reduce the anxiety of not having your #1 around.

For expample, my favorite guitar is my SG Special. If it was in the shop, I've got my Les Paul Push Tone or my Gretsch G5120 to fall back on. Since about 1995 I got VERY picky about my guitars. I had a rare Ibanez offset V similar to a Jackson RR1 which was just amazing to play.

That guitar was the best instrument I'd owned up to 1999 and if it was in the shop I was freaking out - I had other guitars but they were not the quality of that one and while I did use them at gigs they just didn't sound or feel right. in 1999 I got a Cort MGM-1, which actually took over as my #1. I kept that guitar until 2008 when I got my SG. I had to sell it to finance the SG and while I loved my SG, I regretted selling the Cort later because when the SG was in for setup work I had nothing. So last year I got my Gretsch - a totally different sound but I am very satisfied with it's tone and feel. This past May I got my Les Paul which I love also, but it's not my SG... in a few years when the value of this limited run Les Paul increases I may sell it for a profit and get another Les Paul that is of comparable quality but not as valuable yet.

Anyone ever had this happen?

Ok, my Luthier is replacing the machine heads on my Les Paul Studio with Grover Vintage 135s and cleaning the fret board.

It's been 10 days and has had to order the machine heads from the US.

I keep thinking to myself, it shouldn't take this long to get the parts from the US and do what else he decided top do to my LP.

What's up with that? Shipping should be 5 to 7 days at most... Your Luthier is either lazy or over booked... Before I have anyone do anything I always ask how long it's gonna take. After the estimated time has past I start calling....

He probably had to take a tuner out to measure the size of your tuner so that he didn't have to open the holes up or that he would have the right size bushings. Then he could order the right parts.

Good reason to have two favorite guitars, even if they look like the same guitar. Actors have doubles, why not your guitar?

What's up with that? Shipping should be 5 to 7 days at most... Your Luthier is either lazy or over booked... Before I have anyone do anything I always ask how long it's gonna take. After the estimated time has past I start calling....

I asked him how long it would take for the machine heads to arrive here and he said a couple of days.

He took the machine head out while I was there and has a book which has direct fitting replacement parts for my guitar.

It didn't look like he was over booked.

The only thing I saw him working on in his workshop was lap steel guitar which he was making from scratch for someone to replace the old one.

He said to me he would email me once it is done.

I get a kick out of this. To my knowledge there's no qualified luthier within 500 miles.

Never had that advantage.

None of my guitars has had a pro touch them even for setup. It's "do it yourself or not at all" whether that's good or not. <grin>

m

Archived