Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton necks

timesflyin46

I'm new to epiphone guitars, I've owned Gibson's but never a epi. I bought a new Sheraton yesterday and I've noticed it doesn't take much pressure between the neck and body to alter the sound just like using a whammy bar on an instrument, anyone heard of problems with the necks where they join the body?

I'm new to epiphone guitars, I've owned Gibson's but never a epi. I bought a new Sheraton yesterday and I've noticed it doesn't take much pressure between the neck and body to alter the sound just like using a whammy bar on an instrument, anyone heard of problems with the necks where they join the body?

Welcome to the forums TF, great bunch around here, hope you like the joint.

Usually you find this problem on some SGs and G400s, it's most commonly called neck flex, but I've never heard of this problem on a Sherry before.

I bought my Sheraton about a year ago new and mine does the same thing.

Interesting though; I went to GC, tried the one on display, liked it and the sales guy said he had a brand new one still in the box so I decided to buy that one. When he brought it out I found that the one in the box had a “significantly” thicker neck than the display model - big difference. Even thought I would have preferred to buy the one in the box, I liked the thinner neck so much I ended up buying the display model. I would have thought the necks would have been more consistent.

I agree, it doesn’t take much pressure at all to alter the sound. I’ve got used to it and, so far, I haven’t had any problems at all.

I know country players like to "bend the neck" on their Telecasters...

...but the same thing (whether deliberate or accidental) on a semi (like a Sheraton) sounds quite alarming. [scared]

This doesn't sound like a good thing, and I haven't noticed it before on 335-like guitars I own/have owned.

Archived