Gibson Brands Forums

Playing in more than One Band

FirstMeasure

I play in three bands, so it can get complicated. Luckily none of them plays very often.

One of our bands keeps an online calendar, and we keep it updated with our "blocked" dates. That way if a gig comes up, and no-one has that date blocked, we take the gig. With the other bands, we just keep each other informed of what dates we can and can't do.

it can be tricky if you are out there doing alot of stuff ..when i was doing a lot of live stuff i had an obligation to the main club in town playing there i never messed with them and they made it clear i was 'theirs' so i did other stuff just kept the priorities right haha ..

i have seen some good players in several bands and wondered how they managed this particularly with say a quality drummer alot of people will want them ..the biggest hassle with bands is logistics ..just getting every one together and the gear.. you really need comitted people with work ethic and a sense of honor haha [biggrin]

You need to supply both bands with your schedule of what you have planned with the other bands. If I am playing with the other band, don't book that date.

This of course can get you kicked out of a band if they are missing out on gigs because you are off gallivanting with your other band...but it really depends how successful the bands are and how many gigs you are playing and how often you are rehearsing.

Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

I did that for a while back in the late 70's. One artist I worked with is a member of the Grand Ole Opry but didn't travel the road much. The other artist was having some radio success and worked about 120 dates a year. The opry artist would allow me to go out and just use a staff player in my place. Worked out well until the traveling artist worked the Opry and asked it he could use his guitar player. Opry management was not amused. [unsure]

Thanks for all the responses. The reason I asked is I'm considering the start of another band. I'm in a Rock and Roll Cover band that plays 2 or three weekends a month, but I'm missing my Blues and Folk roots. I'd kinda like to start up a Blues band (not entirely traditional, but that's not important now), however I don't want to get a bunch of musicians together on the promise of playing around my more important project.

"You guys want to commit to practice a a few time a month, get a nice set list up, and play around my more important band where the musicians don't have to worry about you getting in their way?"

I have a hard time asking anyone that. I'm used to saying,"We'll get a good set list up then we'll try to start booking." I'm so used to being in one project and giving it my undivided attention.

I play in three bands, so it can get complicated. Luckily none of them plays very often.

One of our bands keeps an online calendar, and we keep it updated with our "blocked" dates. That way if a gig comes up, and no-one has that date blocked, we take the gig. With the other bands, we just keep each other informed of what dates we can and can't do.

Sounds like you have some pretty reasonable band mates. That would work but I'd have a really hard time letting down band members, and my main band plays pretty often.

You need to supply both bands with your schedule of what you have planned with the other bands. If I am playing with the other band, don't book that date.

This of course can get you kicked out of a band if they are missing out on gigs because you are off gallivanting with your other band...but it really depends how successful the bands are and how many gigs you are playing and how often you are rehearsing.

Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

This is what I'd worry about the most. Not just because I'd have to tell one band their less important than my other band, but my reputation as a reliable musician could suffer. Reputation is EVERYTHING in music, no matter what sized market you're in. In fact, the smaller the market the more fragile the reputation.

I did that for a while back in the late 70's. One artist I worked with is a member of the Grand Ole Opry but didn't travel the road much. The other artist was having some radio success and worked about 120 dates a year. The opry artist would allow me to go out and just use a staff player in my place. Worked out well until the traveling artist worked the Opry and asked it he could use his guitar player. Opry management was not amused. [unsure]

And this, the inevitable Scheduling Conflict. I'm not sure if you'd call me unlucky, but Murphy's Law sure uses me as a test bed. I'm sure I'd have to juggle and let someone down somewhere.

But maybe I'm over thinking the whole thing? Maybe There's some understanding musicians that could do it.

You could make a choice and pick your horse...be in one band and work 100% on that band...

That's what I've been doing, and it's worked really good so far. That's one reason I'm agonizing over the decision so badly. I don't want to mess with a good thing, but my Artist wants to paint a different subject...so to speak.

Back in the early '70s I was in a band, training/teaching martial arts and in a 60-80-hour job. Girlfriend said quit the band or she was gone. I said "Good bye" because I think ultimatums at that point in a relationship are bad karma. Two weeks later I quit the band; it was great fun but just too little sleep and down time.

Right now I do at most a half dozen benefit type things a year for the past eight years. The job thing is just too variable on work needs and I can't say "no" to the day job.

So... Hmmmm. I do have full equipment for a solo gig in a small/medium venue or to get a small group going.

Hmmmm.

m

I'm in 2 bands, at the moment. My "main" band, and another group of musicians,

that play whenever we get the chance. No scheduling conflicts, so far, but if

there were, I'd defer to the main band's schedule. The other group of musicians

would find another guitarist, to fill in. That's all understood, so there's no

real problem. Besides, neither band plays that hectic a schedule, in the first

place. ;>)

CB

Just tell your 'second' band, "I am not available on these dates:........" then list them. You don't have to tell them you have another gig, or if you have to work, are going on vacation or that it is your 'special night' with the missus... unless you want to.

Archived